G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Feedback.those who repainted their bumper.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Feedback.those who repainted their bumper.

My car is about 2 1/2yrs old, and my front bumper is really in poor condition. Not only is it sandblasted from highway driving, I also had some idiot put a small cut in it right below the tow hook cover..

I have several estimates to fix the small cut and strip/refinish/and paint the entire bumper.....cost varies from $400 to $600. Most shops say they will match the color, (Ivory Pearl), and some said they would be able to match it closer than it is from the factory......

My question is......for all you that did repaint your bumpers.......did it hold up as good or better than the original paint? I fear I will be repainting the bumper every two years.....

I found a shop by me that works on alot of ferrari's maseratti's and does custom conversions for BMW's etc. I think I would go with them since I was taken out to the shop area and observed the quality work they perform.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Dennis

Old 05-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have them put several extra coats of clearcoat on, as that's the only layer you can fiddle with without changing the base-color or pearlcoat. If they plan to use 3 or 4 coats of clear, have them do 6 or 7 instead. It's not going to make a HUGE difference on the bigger rocks/debris, but it will give some additional protection from the smaller stuff... ...at least compared to the factory paint.

After the paint has cured long enough (check with the bodyshop), put on several coats of your favorite wax (Zaino, Meguire's etc.) and keep it washed/waxed frequently. Again, it's not going to stop the major ones, but like the added layers of clearcoat, it will help prevent some of the numerous, smaller encounters.

Of course, a clearbra would stop most of the damage. I just don't like how it shows on IP.