G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Pics of Cracked headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 03:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thing is, if your housing is warm, they will open up. If your housings are cold, they will often be closed and you wont even be able to see the crack. Over time, they probably stop closing up on cool down.

If you guys are seeing the seam/crack on new housings, I think Infiniti has revised them. Back in late 02/03/early 04, they were definately not open on the lot. Nor did they show up for months, usually only with us that used our fogs.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure ICA wouldnt be replacing these on request if it was designed that way. Mine were not the same length and the curves were not the same.

However, they may have redesigned them recently with the seam open (with more room for expansion) to prevent the seam from growing into crack.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:54 AM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
When I saw the pics from the original poster, I thought that I was going blind, because I could NOT see any cracks. Then I realized that you guys were referring to the seam.

Maybe this will help straighten it out:

A refers to the seam that is NORMALLY found on the headlights. It's from the outer clear lens. It's not a crack, and you wouldn't expect a crack to be so straight, and in the same exact location on all G35 coupe lights (don't know if this is the case on 06 and up though)

B points to the area that people tend to get CRACKS on their lights. It's not on the outer clear lens, but on the chrome-like plastic bezel within the light.

So yes, our lights can get cracks in them, but it's NOT A. Most people believe that the cracks come from prolonged use of the lower foglight, as the heat might make the bezel more susceptible to cracking. In later G35 coupe lights, the lower fog reflector comes with a heat shield in the 12 oclock position. When I worked on my lights, I used aramid heat shield gasket material between the lower projector and the bezel. So far no cracking in my bezels.

(If anyone is wondering about my lights, there's another thread somewhere on this forum. I'm still working on some other lights at my own pace, not for anyone is particular; but I haven't got every far since I got distracted by my RC car).

Old 05-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok,
I didn't read everyone's respsonses, but I got to say HOTSAND5,
you've got to be running almost on empty, if you ever thought those perfect curved 'seams' were ever "cracks" of any sort. Who ever saw cracks that are a perfect curves???????????????????????????????

Come on guys...wtf

LMAO

Ok, sorry had to. I just had to, that was retarded.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:36 AM
well maybee i should have read all the post except i have little time for that. In any case i do have a crack in one of my headlights and its no SEAM its located on the inside silver part not clear lens. I hope people arent saying thats supposed to be there. Im going into the dealer and demanding them to replace. RX

Old 05-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by WhiteonWheat
Ok,
I didn't read everyone's respsonses, but I got to say HOTSAND5,
you've got to be running almost on empty,

that was retarded.
yes it was.. you should read the other comments before adding your, errr, cents.

Mine were not cracked symetically. Close, but not the same. The only difference between my coupe and a friend who got his in Nov 02 (no cracks), I run with fogs all the time and he never turns his on.

Old 05-21-2006, 02:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, I admit, ya'll are right. I should have read all the posts.

All I see though, is the seam and it reflecting back on the silver housing...?

If anybody does have real 'cracks', yeah, I would take it to the dealership, *if* you just bought the car new. If it's used, then forget it...

Old 05-21-2006, 05:04 PM
just a note, I had mine replaced at Grubbs last thanksgiving (04). There must be some validity to the revised housing with heat shield mentioned above. Mine have not developed new cracks and I still run with fogs all the time (even during the day).

Honestly, I had never checked to see if mine had cracked again because the replacement was such an ordeal, I should have just left them alone... even tho my new ones have not cracked. Just wasnt worth it. But, if you do replace them, it looks like they may not split again. As much as I use my fogs, if they would split again, mine would have.

WoW, if you look down from the top, you'd see a crack going nearly the full length of the housing. Not the reflector. At night, you can actually see light from the fogs coming up thru the housing.

Again, I'm not sure that isnt some sort of expansion joint designed to open up under heat. But I just drove an hour in the sunlight with fogs and lights on and checked when I got home, no crack was there on either side.

I guess its like alot of these TSBs, you have to decide if it bothers you enough to risk a sloppy repair.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:59 PM
crack is whack..