35.50%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Windshield tint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front window tint = f***ing stupid

all it takes is one accident and you're toast. It won't void your insurance, much in the same way speeding is illegal. If you are speeding and you get in an accident you are still covered.

I'd be willing to guess most anyone who is considering tinting their front window (the following is simply an assumption) likely is also only carrying state minimums on their auto liability insurance. In CA that is 15K per person/30K per accident. Now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out one good overnight stay in the ER can cost you $15K. So who gets stuck with the rest of the bill when Suzie Homemaker has broken several bones and has a collapsed lung to go along with it...oh yeah the moron who tinted his front window and caused this accident (or at least this is what her well paid attorney will argue)

Old 06-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mackinnr
front window tint = f***ing stupid

all it takes is one accident and you're toast. It won't void your insurance, much in the same way speeding is illegal. If you are speeding and you get in an accident you are still covered.

I'd be willing to guess most anyone who is considering tinting their front window (the following is simply an assumption) likely is also only carrying state minimums on their auto liability insurance. In CA that is 15K per person/30K per accident. Now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out one good overnight stay in the ER can cost you $15K. So who gets stuck with the rest of the bill when Suzie Homemaker has broken several bones and has a collapsed lung to go along with it...oh yeah the moron who tinted his front window and caused this accident (or at least this is what her well paid attorney will argue)
i dun understand y a tint on the front winshield will void your warranty..

and ur assumption with anyone that has done this is doing the 15/30 plan..

i have it on my car at 50% and i'm fully insured..u can see perfectly fine in morning and night..its the best thing to do..imho

but if u want to say that an attorney arguing that case..well dey can argue about the rear winshield as well...attorney's will find anything..even if its legal...

Old 06-10-2006, 07:35 PM
GOT MODS?
Unless you want to hit pedestrians wearing dark clothing at night, I would leave the front window alone.

Old 06-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by dyenboy
i dun understand y a tint on the front winshield will void your warranty..

and ur assumption with anyone that has done this is doing the 15/30 plan..

i have it on my car at 50% and i'm fully insured..u can see perfectly fine in morning and night..its the best thing to do..imho

but if u want to say that an attorney arguing that case..well dey can argue about the rear winshield as well...attorney's will find anything..even if its legal...
Just to clear up some of your notions on insurance and so that you don't confuse anyone else...you are fully insured...and that is what the agent told you when he sold you the policy. This is a common misconception as there are several parts to an insurance policy. Your auto insurance has 2 basic parts. Part one covers liability (you causing harm to someone else) part 2 covers property damage to your car more commonly known as comprehensive and collision. there are other parts such as uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, but I won't bother with those details and is likely part of the package you were sold, it does not however mean you are fully insured and bear no responsibilities should you cause a massive amount of damage to someone else. That is why it is important to know what kind of liability limits you have purchased. Now speaking on part one, this is your auto liability coverage part, the state of CA requires every driver carry a minimum of 15/30 limits for liability coverage, you do not have to have comprehensive and collision coverage, but you must have liability coverage. Unless you asked for, or are paying for increased limits you have the state minimums. If you own your own home you may have 100/300 limits because your auto insurance is likely tied to your homeowners insurance. Otherwise increased limits are quite expensive and most people unfortuntely do not carry much more than the state minimum. Myself I carry 250/500 with an additional $2M umbrella along with comprehensive and collision. Why? Well I own my own home and business and therefore have a lot at stake. If I crush a minivan on the freeway, and leave a father of three paralized from the neck down I know every dollar it takes to get him better above $2M is my responsibility if I am the at fault driver. I pay my insurance premiums to transfer the risk of my liability up to $2M.

anyone who has bothered to read this boring post, I apologize, and will work to get the minute of your life back

Old 06-10-2006, 08:10 PM
just get some sunglasses if you're worried about the sun. Tinting your winshield is unsafe for you and other drivers.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by UFGatorG35
I went with a 35% on the front, looks great and makes a huge diff during hot days in the sun. Another bonus is no glare from headlights at night.
Hey Stu, what did you pay everything??

Anyone know a good place in Tampa/Brandon?? (I ate the search button)!!

Old 06-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Been thinking about getting 50-55% done on my front windshield too. Problem is I know it's going to turn purple since it's a dyed flim only. Most of you guys don't know how light 50% is, it won't even be noticed, but the benefits are worth it. On my car, I have 45% all my windows except the windshield. The only scorching from the sun I experience is from the untinted windshield.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
My friend at work has a silver 03.5 with limo (5%) and he just told me that he is going to put 35% on his windshield. I was thinking about 50% since we live in Phoenix and the sun is hell in the summer.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Rus will be in here a week after he gets his windshiled tinting complaining about what a-hole cops are for pulling him over

Old 06-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Might want to also think about legal problems that might arise if you get in a accident with tint on your front windshield..

Old 06-13-2006, 11:03 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
That's true. You would have to prove that the tint did not hinder your vision in any way. Not easy at night.

Old 06-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Originally Posted by Cobra-2-G
Hey Stu, what did you pay everything??

Anyone know a good place in Tampa/Brandon?? (I ate the search button)!!

You should be able to get the car done for around $140, plus another $50 for the windshield if you have the whole thing done. Do a search for CreativeCarz, Dexter does great tinting and actually moved from Ft Laudy to Tampa last year. He tinted my last coupe and did a great job.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DP03
My new SRT8, with 150 more hp, costs well less to insure than the G. This is the reason why..
Useless and uninteresting information to say the least.

Old 06-22-2006, 02:52 PM
This is a very interesing thread.

1. First, I want to say that Altima looks great (tint or no tint).
2. I never even considered tinting my front windshield until I read this thread. There are clear UV tints as well as colored tinits (not sure if automotive safe). I drive a black G and that extra layer of tint on the front windshield should help block the heat. Anyone know if there are lighter shades than 50% for automotive use?
3. Why would you just automatically assume someone with ricer taste has the bare minimum insurance? Not sure of Dyen's financial status, but my wife and I are educated people, we own multiple homes, and we like ricer cars. We have much more insurance than the minimum and we have to pay into professional liability insurance as well.
4. Can't blame ricer car drivers for the increase premium costs for insurance. I am pretty sure part of the premium costs is due to higher replacement costs for Infintis versus Dodge/Chryslers. My insurance is pretty cheap tho, with multiple cars, being married, professional degree, and muti-policy discount, I am not complaining. No matter how cheap insurance is for an American car, I would never buy an American car. So can't really compare...not apples to apples.
5. Tinting front windshield does not equal immediate accident.

Like I said, very interesting thread...sorry for the long rant, but felt like i had to chime in.

Old 06-22-2006, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wish i could that that..pretty sure its illegal in mass..but looks cool..as all my other windows r 20% black cant see in at all day o rnight..n it sux parrel parking at night with the windows so dark lol

joe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Windshield tint