50%
35.50%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Windshield tint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
On that thought, doesn't Lumar make a light silvery colored tint that reflects UV and IR? That might wouk without attracting too much attention or blocking your vision.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Simi_G35
This is a very interesing thread.

1. First, I want to say that Altima looks great (tint or no tint).
2. I never even considered tinting my front windshield until I read this thread. There are clear UV tints as well as colored tinits (not sure if automotive safe). I drive a black G and that extra layer of tint on the front windshield should help block the heat. Anyone know if there are lighter shades than 50% for automotive use?
3. Why would you just automatically assume someone with ricer taste has the bare minimum insurance? Not sure of Dyen's financial status, but my wife and I are educated people, we own multiple homes, and we like ricer cars. We have much more insurance than the minimum and we have to pay into professional liability insurance as well.
4. Can't blame ricer car drivers for the increase premium costs for insurance. I am pretty sure part of the premium costs is due to higher replacement costs for Infintis versus Dodge/Chryslers. My insurance is pretty cheap tho, with multiple cars, being married, professional degree, and muti-policy discount, I am not complaining. No matter how cheap insurance is for an American car, I would never buy an American car. So can't really compare...not apples to apples.
5. Tinting front windshield does not equal immediate accident.

Like I said, very interesting thread...sorry for the long rant, but felt like i had to chime in.

thanks for the compliment and everything was well stated. put it this way -- with my 35% windshield tinted it's almost the same as looking out the rear window which most people have it 35% or 20% tinted. so if you can see out your rearview mirror fine then you can see everyone out a tinted windshield perfectly. the front windshield tint will not void your warranty b/c there is no defroster connected to the front windshield like the rear one (which can go bad) but in some states you might not pass inspection.

and people can call my altima rice just because it has a body kit and big rims on but look at the dodge charger daytona edition -- comes factory w/ riceboy stripes and no available manual tranny for american muscle

Old 06-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i had a choice, i would get the full windshield tint at 50%. to tell you the truth, i think all it would do is make driving easier - less glare, less heat. at night time, it would just seem like its a bit darker...i dont think it will make you crash the instant you drive off.

the only reason why i have the 3inch strip on my windshield is because i did not have enough money (at the time) for the full windshield and i did not have the patience (believe it or not!) to peel off my registration and inspection sticker! The sunstrip doesnt look too great, but it certainly helps when you have to stare at one of those red light that placed strategically infront of the sun

otherwise...when i first drove off the lot with the sunstrip...my car felt like a bombshelter , but i eventually got used to. you would eventually get used to a windshield tint as well

back in the day we had a full mirror tint (i know horrible) on our silver saleen mustang and we never had problems with visibility. in fact, i think my rear windows were more of a problem when backing up and changing lanes

if you think 50% is too dark, than you can get llumar 70% which is practically transparent but stops even more heat than the standard tint.

da mayors altima = best altima i ever seen

took some time to get it where it is now - but its def a good looking vehicle

Last edited by Neal376; 06-22-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by Neal376

the only reason why i have the 3inch strip on my windshield is because i did not have enough money (at the time) for the full windshield and i did not have the patience (believe it or not!) to peel off my registration and inspection sticker!
That's another reason not to tint the windshield. Unless yoiu made cutouts for the registration and inspection stickers, the cops would know in a heartbeat. And it's a big fine here in TX for front tint.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
That's another reason not to tint the windshield. Unless yoiu made cutouts for the registration and inspection stickers, the cops would know in a heartbeat. And it's a big fine here in TX for front tint.
or you could just peel it with a razor blade and tape it back on the tint....takes like 5 minutes

Old 06-23-2006, 02:01 AM
Mackinnr you are wasting your time. This disscussion has been hashed in the past and no matter how much you talk about how dangerous tinting the front windshield, there will always be someone who says I can see fine.

Fact- 50% tint means you have blocked 50% of the available light coming through into the front windshield.
assuption: Good luck seeing at night or a rainy day. No matter how well you think you can see, you have just decreased your vision by 50%

Fact: It is illegal to tint the front windshield.
Assuption: hope you don't get into an accident, no lawyer is going to take your case unless your paying up front. And you better hope your insurance company doesn't void your policy and sue you for negligence. In fact why not call your car insurance company and ask if they recomend you to tint your front windshield.

Old 06-23-2006, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"50% tint means you have blocked 50% of the available light coming through" does not equal "decreased your vision by 50%."

Tinting driver and passenger front side windows are illegal as well, but no one is giving anyone here a hard time for doing so.

Old 06-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Texasscout

all the times i've gotten pullled over they never said anything about window tint -- only when i was parked at work an officer came in to yell at me but i wasn't near my car. at night they pulled me over for the side window tint and flashed their flashlight onto my registration and still never mentioned anything about front windshield tint.

Old 06-23-2006, 10:10 AM
^^^thats prob cause they are not used to seeing it lol. chances are when you get pulled over they approach your vehicle from behind.

i dont think you are decreasing your visibility by full 50% w/ 50% tint.... its much easier to see outside from the darkened interior than the other way around.

i think some of y'alls are blowing this out of proportion.

Last edited by Neal376; 06-23-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:17 AM
they stare at my car a mile away from all angles. i love my celebrity tints

Old 06-23-2006, 11:20 AM
The county cops here made a "stake out" observation car once. They took a Black Crown Vic with Steel wheels and little hub caps. Lot's of antennas and then the put LIMO tint on ALL the windows including the windshield.

That thing stuck out like a sore thumb.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:21 AM
we got all types of unmarked vehicles -- oldsmobile aurora, aleros, ford windstar, crown vics... you name we have it here. i've even seen people by the mall get pulled over by the mounted police on a horse.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:39 AM
lol! haha. the dt impalas do stick out like sore thumbs

funny thing. when cops at my local precinct leave for the day, they all jump into modified mustangs, bimmers etc. and they all have dark tints .

cops have not given me any problems with my 35% tint yet...but always gave us with our 20% on our mustang. I think its because coupes and 2 doors are cop candy. pulled over twice in my sedan. just turn on your dome light and roll your windows down. turn your car off, and put the keys on the dash

Old 06-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Neal376
lol! haha. the dt impalas do stick out like sore thumbs

funny thing. when cops at my local precinct leave for the day, they all jump into modified mustangs, bimmers etc. and they all have dark tints .

cops have not given me any problems with my 35% tint yet...but always gave us with our 20% on our mustang. I think its because coupes and 2 doors are cop candy. pulled over twice in my sedan. just turn on your dome light and roll your windows down. turn your car off, and put the keys on the dash
you got 20% on your car

Old 06-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had 35% tints all around on my maxima including the windshield. It makes a HUGE difference and def keeps the car cool during those hot summers in Atlanta. As far as the tickets, NEVER had any problems. I say go for it - will make your car look hot!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Windshield tint