G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

For those of you with Tranmission Probs (Must Read)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of you with Tranmission Probs (Must Read)

I had a 2006 G35 Sedan that had about 2000 miles on the car when I noticed a shudder or vibration in the engine, this would happen at a deceleration speed of 40-35 mph. I took the car back to Infinity and told them about what was happening, they called back and said that they could not duplicate the shudder or vibration that I was talking about, and that it could just be numerous reasons. They named all kinds of things like the type of gas I used and since it didnt happen all the time it was nothing to be worried about. When the shudder got worse my Husband took it back to them and had the tech go with him for a test drive. When the car made the shudder the tech could not believe what he felt and called another tech on it, that worked for Nissan and asked him to pull up in the computer of any complaints about the tranmission in that make and model. They had several problems and told me that they would have to order parts to replace in the tranmission, being that the car had only 2000 miles on it I was irrate!!!! How could this be, a new car and already problems, my husband demanded a new transmission be installed but after the numerious run around we got, they were only going to replace the parts, they could not guarantee a new transmission would solve the problem. After a week of having my car, they called us and told us that they decided to put a new tranmission in, the parts did not solve the problem!!! and they were sending my tranmission to Japan so that the engineers could take it apart and see what the problem was. This imediatly raised a red flag and the next day we were back at Infinity in a battle with them about my lemon car!!!!! My husband demanded that they take the car back or make things right, we ended up trading out of the G35 and trading up to the M35 and had to eat some of the difference, but I think its worth it for piece of mind. Infinity knows about these problems and if you bitch long and had enough, contact consummer affairs and get in front of the main man at the dealership, they will do something about this problem!!! You have to fight and demand that the own up to this problem...it will be ugly but in the end I am rid of my problem that at 60,000 miles and who knows how many tranmissions later Infinity would have wiped their hands clean of the problem. It had been a very disappointing experience for me and horriable to buy into the Infinity family and get treated like this. If you would like to hear more you can email me at kellyleeann72@aol

Old 08-23-2006, 03:31 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manual or automatic?

Old 08-23-2006, 03:32 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
But they replaced the tranny for you, didn't they? BTW, it is the same tranny as in the Q45. probably the same one that is in your M35. hehe

Old 08-23-2006, 03:33 PM
good thing you got it taken care of. Don't let it discourage you from g35's later on.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:47 PM
I traded for the M35 because it was a different tranmission. I didnt give them a chance to give my car back to me, I traded because they could not guarantee that a new transmission would solve the problem, since they have had repeat problems, and without a guarantee I was not taking the car back. I dont know about you, but if they pulled your transmission out and sent it to Japan, how would you feel??

Old 08-23-2006, 03:58 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sucks, this is the first i've heard of major problems with an auto tranny

Old 08-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
The JATCO 5AT used in the G35 is the exact same unit used in the M35/45, Q45, and FX35/45. Same part numbers. The sensation you're reporting is completely normal and has been reported by many people on this site since 2002. The studder/vibration is the torque converter locking and unlocking. It's completely normal and at 35-40mph in 5th gear, there is a lot of driveline slack hence the reason for the random and inconsistent studder when it locks. There is nothing wrong with the car or the tranny (which Nissan/Infiniti doe not make by the way). The problem can easily be aleviated by simply driving around town in "4" instread of drive. By doing that, you reduce the driveline slack plus the car for far more responsive at city speeds.

It sounds to me like you've just wasted more money on a car will most likely exhibit the same issue. I suggest next time you have a problem you post it up on a website and research it before making such a severe and expensive decision.

Last edited by DaveB; 08-23-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by kellyleeann72
I traded for the M35 because it was a different tranmission. I didnt give them a chance to give my car back to me, I traded because they could not guarantee that a new transmission would solve the problem, since they have had repeat problems, and without a guarantee I was not taking the car back. I dont know about you, but if they pulled your transmission out and sent it to Japan, how would you feel??
I'd feel pretty good about the company seeing that they're interested in fixing the issue.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Yes, it's the same tranny so if it is not a fluke you are going to get it again. Changing to the M35 did nothing for you getting away from that transmission.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I. When the shudder got worse my Husband took it back to them and had the tech go with him for a test drive. When the car made the shudder the tech could not believe what he felt and called another tech on it, that worked for Nissan and asked him to pull up in the computer of any complaints about the tranmission in that make and model. They had several problems and told me that they would have to order parts to replace in the tranmission, being that the car had only 2000 miles on it I was irrate!!!! How could this be, a new car and already problems, my husband demanded a new transmission be installed but after the numerious run around we got, they were only going to replace the parts, they could not guarantee a new transmission would solve the problem. After a week of having my car, they called us and told us that they decided to put a new tranmission in, the parts did not solve the problem!!! and they were sending my tranmission to Japan so that the engineers could take it apart and see what the problem was.
I'm not sure what exactly more you wanted? You wanted a new tranny so they gave you one.
What's wrong with sending the tranny to Japan? In fact, what do you care what they do with it?

This imediatly raised a red flag and the next day we were back at Infinity in a battle with them about my lemon car!!!!! My husband demanded that they take the car back or make things right, we ended up trading out of the G35 and trading up to the M35 and had to eat some of the difference, but I think its worth it for piece of mind. Infinity knows about these problems and if you bitch long and had enough, contact consummer affairs and get in front of the main man at the dealership, they will do something about this problem!!! You have to fight and demand that the own up to this problem...it will be ugly but in the end I am rid of my problem that at 60,000 miles and who knows how many tranmissions later Infinity would have wiped their hands clean of the problem. It had been a very disappointing experience for me and horriable to buy into the Infinity family and get treated like this. If you would like to hear more you can email me at kellyleeann72@aol
1) Again, you had a problem, they fixed it.
2) I think you somehow feel you accomplished something by trading it in. ie.. ridding yourself of this "problem car". But I very much doubt you got what you wanted for the car and probably didn't negotiate a good deal on your new car. So unfortunately, the dealer got themselves $3-$4 grand profit on another trade/sale.
3) At others have said, trading in for a M35 just netted you the exact same tranny. Unless it's the M35X?

Old 10-19-2006, 02:45 AM
I wanted to revive this thread because at about 27,000 miles my car seems to be having transmission problems of some kind. Just some background info, I have a 2005 Infiniti G35x. I noticed it at first when pulling out of my driveway onto a main road and then during hard acceleration to avoid some NJ idiot who decided it was okay to stop in the middle of the six lane highway to merge onto an on ramp. So anyway, I swerved around him and accelerated to get in front of the truck in that lane. When I let off the gas it didn't shift and just seemed to rev freely for 5 seconds or so before finally shifting into the right gear. Afterwards I started to notice it a few more times and even my girlfriend said something about the car shifting weird. Does this make any sense for an AWD car with just 27,000 miles? I guess I have to take it to the Infiniti dealer but they are an hour away so it's a major pain in the ***... The only other thing that I've noiced that goes wrong with the car is the driver's side overhead light works at it's own free will and not when I want it to and I've had to replace the brakes and tires. Outside of that it's been a mostly pleasant experience. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Old 10-19-2006, 09:45 PM
maybe u drive sh1tty

Old 10-19-2006, 11:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a 2006 G35 Sedan that had about 2000 miles on the car when I noticed a shudder or vibration in the engine, this would happen at a deceleration speed of 40-35 mph. I took the car back to Infinity and told them about what was happening, they called back and said that they could not duplicate the shudder or vibration that I was talking about, and that it could just be numerous reasons. They named all kinds of things like the type of gas I used and since it didnt happen all the time it was nothing to be worried about. When the shudder got worse my Husband took it back to them and had the tech go with him for a test drive. When the car made the shudder the tech could not believe what he felt and called another tech on it, that worked for Nissan and asked him to pull up in the computer of any complaints about the tranmission in that make and model. They had several problems and told me that they would have to order parts to replace in the tranmission, being that the car had only 2000 miles on it I was irrate!!!! How could this be, a new car and already problems, my husband demanded a new transmission be installed but after the numerious run around we got, they were only going to replace the parts, they could not guarantee a new transmission would solve the problem. After a week of having my car, they called us and told us that they decided to put a new tranmission in, the parts did not solve the problem!!! and they were sending my tranmission to Japan so that the engineers could take it apart and see what the problem was. This imediatly raised a red flag and the next day we were back at Infinity in a battle with them about my lemon car!!!!! My husband demanded that they take the car back or make things right, we ended up trading out of the G35 and trading up to the M35 and had to eat some of the difference, but I think its worth it for piece of mind. Infinity knows about these problems and if you bitch long and had enough, contact consummer affairs and get in front of the main man at the dealership, they will do something about this problem!!! You have to fight and demand that the own up to this problem...it will be ugly but in the end I am rid of my problem that at 60,000 miles and who knows how many tranmissions later Infinity would have wiped their hands clean of the problem. It had been a very disappointing experience for me and horriable to buy into the Infinity family and get treated like this. If you would like to hear more you can email me at kellyleeann72@aol
**** happens! they took care of you........so why are you complaining here? You should be complimenting the customer service.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:24 AM
I have 5-spd auto so its not Normal to have that shudder kellyleeann72
is talking about. If it was just 'normal' then believe me.... infiniti will never replace that. kellyleeann72 has every right to vent here....so give her a break guys. I say.... as long as you are satisfied and have peace of mind.... thats all that matters.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by infini_
I have 5-spd auto so its not Normal to have that shudder kellyleeann72
is talking about. If it was just 'normal' then believe me.... infiniti will never replace that. kellyleeann72 has every right to vent here....so give her a break guys. I say.... as long as you are satisfied and have peace of mind.... thats all that matters.
The torque converter lock up/unlock shudder is a very real thing with these cars. Infiniti knows it's there. As for replacement, every dealer and regional Infiniti service rep is different in the way they address problems. It's unfortunate, but it's true.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For those of you with Tranmission Probs (Must Read)