G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

sedan driving impresssions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sedan driving impresssions

I am seriously considering purscasing a 6MT sedan. Through limited test drives, I have discovered the nagging pain and discomfort in my right side due to the seat controls. I would appreciate hearing any feedback about the seat and your driving impressions witht he 6MT. I drove a 5AT for about 2 hours today and it seemed pretty good. I just sold a Contour SVT. It drove beatifully in stick.

I also drove the new Acura 2004 TL which has front drive - very smooth vehicle but the front wheel drive sysytem felt completely different to the G35.

Any feedback on the tranny, drive train, and or if you have seat discomfort would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Old 10-18-2003, 08:20 PM
Re: sedan driving impresssions

I'm not sure why people complain about the seat controls, as I do not feel them (on my thigh). I'm not a tiny guy at 285-lbs. I, uh, "occupy" pretty much the entire seat. Even so, my right thigh does not come into contact with the seat controls. I'm not saying it's all in your head; I just do not have a problem with the seat/seat controls. Do you suppose you were sitting more to the right since you had to reach for the 6MT shifter?

I drove manual transmission cars my whole life until I bought my G35 last year. I like the G35's auto/manu-matic tranny, especially in my daily duel with Memphis traffic. But I sure do miss the instant response of shifting manually from time to time. I guess the manu-matic is a very good compromise.

'03 G35 5AT Sedan, Garnet Fire/Willow
18x8 SSR GT1/Bridgestone S03/Eibach

Old 10-18-2003, 10:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never felt more comfortable in a car, the seat holds me well, what exactly hurts when your drive? I don't find the seat controls getting in my way at all! Been driving it for 4 days now.

Brilliant Silver '04 Sedan

Old 10-18-2003, 10:51 PM

You absolutely should consider the seat discomfort you mention. There's a great thread at https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...llapsed&sb=5?=

I think the seat is the only point of contention I have with the G. It's a bad design, period. I don't have nearly the discomfort some people have discussed, but I do find it an unnatural intrusion that can range from just noticable, to downright annoying.

I'd bet the controls on the seats are tossed out with the first model re-design.

That said, there's a lot to like - no love - about this car. But, at the end of the day, you'll have to learn to live with the seats to experience it.

Old 11-21-2003, 11:04 PM

Have had my sedan for 1year and 12K miles and love the car including the seats. I test drove the coupe when I bought the sedan and found the coupe's seat too confining for my taste. They were great if you did a lot of sport driving since the side bolsters really hold you well. For my commute I prefer the "wider" seat cushion in the sedan. Has been extremely comfortable for me even with my bad lower back.

Old 11-22-2003, 02:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people have complained very vocally about the seat discomfort. I don't have any problem with the seat controls. Although I do have to adjust my wallet up in my pocket. I noticed this with the 540 I test drove. Your going to get people on both side of this issue. You will have to determine for yourself whether or not it will be an issue for you.

The contour SVT is a neat car. I tried in vain to convince my wife to buy one back in late 99. Instead we bought her Eclipse which we eventually traded in for our G. You won't regret buying a 6MT G35. Those extra 60 horseys over your SVT will put a smile on your face everyday you drive it.

Jim
'03 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio

Old 11-22-2003, 09:06 AM

Traded my '98 SVT Contour for this G ..Both great cars ,but decidedly different driving experiences.If this car can be as trouble-free as my Contour ,I'll be a happy bunny ineeed

Old 11-22-2003, 12:32 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So yeah, last night was the FIRST time I'd ever experienced the discomfort everyone was talking about. I was also wearing new suit pants. Hmm... Took out wallet-- problem gone. Changed back to some khakis, got back in, problem gone. It seems like only certain cuts of pants and a wallet cause this problem for me. I have put it into an equation I like to call the Cheek Discomfort Formula.

[(2/3inseam + 1/3waist) * (thickness of wallet x width of wallet)] x (Cheek factor) = comfort level, where 100 is optimal. Any deviation tends to cause discomfort.

Cheek factor can be determined by measuring the distance of the center of the wallet from the "apex" of the right cheek.

Enjoy

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 11-22-2003, 12:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GeoBau,
I think it has to do with the pocket placement and size, I always have had trouble with the wallet thing in any car I've owned, it makes you sit "crooked"!
[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 11-22-2003, 02:54 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have the George Castanza wallet? That'll do it!

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint