Old 09-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselX
Why do people quote pics ???
Yeah...no kidding. Attention maybe?

Old 09-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Modded Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Giri for hooking me up with a deal on this muffler- we ordered together.

After a few problems yesterday welding on an extension to my 350z middy, and welding new hangers to the muffler, it's finally on.

Sounds...quiet. Coming from a Stillen Gen1, the HKS is completely stock-sounding. Hopefully after a couple hundred miles it will come to life! I've got some of my low end back finally, but the upper rev range feels weak without the Stillen. However, the HKS looks much better sneaking out of the bumper than the Stillen.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by vodkarocket
Thanks Giri for hooking me up with a deal on this muffler- we ordered together.

After a few problems yesterday welding on an extension to my 350z middy, and welding new hangers to the muffler, it's finally on.

Sounds...quiet. Coming from a Stillen Gen1, the HKS is completely stock-sounding. Hopefully after a couple hundred miles it will come to life! I've got some of my low end back finally, but the upper rev range feels weak without the Stillen. However, the HKS looks much better sneaking out of the bumper than the Stillen.

it must sound stock to you comming from the Stillen, but for someone comming from stock its lovely i gotta admit though, its too quiet for me so im thinking about a Y pipe and HFC to give it a little more sound/performance

Old 09-14-2006, 02:21 PM
Modded Member
Originally Posted by driguez
it must sound stock to you comming from the Stillen, but for someone comming from stock its lovely i gotta admit though, its too quiet for me so im thinking about a Y pipe and HFC to give it a little more sound/performance
I'm running headers and cats and it's still too quiet.

Did you notice the sound volume increase after a few hundred miles?

Old 09-14-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm running headers and cats and it's still too quiet.

Did you notice the sound volume increase after a few hundred miles?

yes, but i dont think it will get as loud as the Stillen, so oyu are running headers and cats and still too quiet?? damn, can you hear more of your intake than your muffler at high rpms?

Old 09-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Giri - can we do this today? Give me a call. I'm available before 2:30pm.

Originally Posted by absolutg
Ron, you gotta take my stock muffler stock '05/06 sounds sweet. PM me your phone # and we can meet up tomorrow or Friday for the exchange. If it's Friday, I can meet in the morning only since I have to get up to SF in the early part of the afternoon. I'm free on the weekend too.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:43 PM
Modded Member
Originally Posted by driguez
yes, but i dont think it will get as loud as the Stillen, so oyu are running headers and cats and still too quiet?? damn, can you hear more of your intake than your muffler at high rpms?
More intake than muffler for sure. My buddy who has a coupe with the Fujitsubo exhaust, y-pipe has a similar tone, with the intake being much louder than the exhaust. When I had my Stillen, you couldn't hear any intake at all.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:54 PM
More intake than muffler for sure. My buddy who has a coupe with the Fujitsubo exhaust, y-pipe has a similar tone, with the intake being much louder than the exhaust. When I had my Stillen, you couldn't hear any intake at all.
true, i have the pop charger that is a loud **** and a spacer, i guess i need to add headers, cats and a Y to make it a bit louder...

Old 09-14-2006, 03:18 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alright guys, i got it installed this morning! i'm putting my review in the second post of this thread

Old 09-14-2006, 04:24 PM
workin...

Originally Posted by kegels
Giri - can we do this today? Give me a call. I'm available before 2:30pm.
nice to meet you today! gluck with the install and let me know how you like the '06 muffler over your current setup

Old 09-14-2006, 04:50 PM
install and looks

i love the sound. as everyone has pointed out, there is NO drone. you hear the exhaust any time you get on the gas, be it from 5-10mph or going 75mph on the freeway. i think the exhaust note has changed a little bit, but not for the worse. i'm expecting the exhaust needs some mileage to be completely broken in, which i noticed with my stock setup. also, i expect the note changes once the car's been running for a while, which was true of the stock setup as well.

the exhaust is much more discernible from inside the car. you can feel it when you mash on the gas.

i'm interested to see what my gf thinks about the sound. i mentioned i was changing something with the exhaust, so i'm curious to what her unbiased (and unknowing) opinion will be.
Your review is pretty much the same as I would have written. It will get a little louder over time (at least mine did). As far as the girlfriend goes, I did not tell my wife I when I put mine on. When she rode in it for the first time she said, "What did you do to your car? It sounds so much meaner."

Now she wants to drive it and leave me with her 325.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:57 PM
workin...

Originally Posted by jameyb
Now she wants to drive it and leave me with her 325.
haha that's hilarious. esp since bimmer's sound pretty tame thankfully that shouldn't be a problem for me... gf's got a civic. i just hope she doesn't think it's too loud

Old 09-14-2006, 05:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the sound because you know its there yet it isn't overbearing.... i love the sound over stock big time... i actually adore the sound more than the coupe now...no more coupe exhaust envy...

Old 09-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
alright guys, i got it installed this morning! i'm putting my review in the second post of this thread
Just read it...NICE! Glad you like it!

Old 09-14-2006, 08:03 PM
i know there are others out there, but can one of you guys (coupe middy is a plus) record a sound clip inside the cabin just driving thru town. most of the drone that i get from the coupe middy is just that, driving thru town. i'm a slightly older guy and i just wanted to find out how aggressive it sounds (stock or coupe middy). if the note is right, it'll make my decision that much easier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: look what came in the mail...