G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Changed my wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 11:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wheel weights/diameter have more of a effect on handling than acceleration.

effects on acceleration are sometimes negated by the the wider/stickier tire

Old 10-20-2006, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ttrank
Ahhh I don't agree...

These wheels are about the same weight as my stock 17's and a tiny bit smaller diameter with the tires. They weigh 2lbs less than the iForged Aero's I was going to get. Yes the tires weigh a little more but the extra grip from the width, smaller sidewall and compound is worth it.

Plus the looks are hot!
Sorry, we have to agree to disagee. You have moved rotational mass WAY out from center with your setup. I can guarantee that your acceleration times will suffer. As a long time drag racer, it's beneficial to have the smallest diameter wheel that can fit your brake calipers....

As for handling, you have altered the geometry of your car, which in most cases will be detrimental to it's handling. It's all too common to assume that bigger/wider wheels and rims help. They actually usually hurt, even if they come in at the same weight as their replacements, which they usually don't.

I attended a Skip Barber high performance school two weeks ago in Daytona that confirmed what I am saying.

It's too bad that you haven't been to the track at all to see a before and after. But I think you would be very surprised.

I'm taking my new Charger SRT8 out to the drags next weekend for the first time. The only reason this car comes with 20's standard is to clear the 14.2 inch Brembo brakes that come with the car. I expect a low 13 or high 12 stock based on other's experience. No one to date has done better with altered wheel combo.

Good luck.

Last edited by DP03; 10-21-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:48 PM
^^^

its about priorities. dont talk like we havent discussed this before. It has been beaten to death on this forum.

I am not going to give a detailed response, but on the street, the look of the wheel out values its poor performance

I think TTrank would rather have good looking wheel that he could use on a saturday night than a wheel that will shave off .5 seconds at the strip at the sacrifice of appearance assuming that he spends more time on the street than at the track.

anyways, that S/C more than makes up for the weight of the wheel

Last edited by Neal376; 10-20-2006 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by Neal376
^^^

its about priorities. dont talk like we havent discussed this before. It has been beaten to death on this forum.

I am not going to give a detailed response, but on the street, the look of the wheel out values its poor performance
Right. I just want to make sure that folks that want big wheels/tires understand the compromise.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:52 PM
yup, they know.

I actually hate the handling of my 19's compared to my stock 17's.

(however, the car rolls much less on the highway with my wider tires)

Old 10-21-2006, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by DP03
Right. I just want to make sure that folks that want big wheels/tires understand the compromise.
I agree.It rests with each individual on performance vs appearance.Some of us want a mix of the 2.I really don't care if someone elses car is faster.
Thats cause I know mine looks and sounds better(and thats stock)!!!

Yeeaahh Baby!

Old 10-21-2006, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by Neal376
yup, they know.

I actually hate the handling of my 19's compared to my stock 17's.

(however, the car rolls much less on the highway with my wider tires)
Neal, you make a great point, but I would again focus on the car's geometry, and that's what I'm trying to impress here. When I drove my G every day, I thought it was a great. stable, ride. When I switched to my SRT as a daily driver, I expected a much harsher, brutal ride....The opposite happened. The SRT is not only a bigger car, but much more stable at highway speeds, and at 150 mph feels more solid than the G at 100. And the SRT has about 25 more mph in her!!!

The only place that the G excels at over the SRT is low speed choppy roads. The Bilstein shocks on the SRT are designed for the autobahn...

Old 10-21-2006, 12:12 AM
Banned
What is this thread turning into? It is simply about ttrank sharing pictures of his new wheels and that is it. It is getting way off topic and you guys are jacking his thread. If you would like to discuss the handling and such, this is not the correct forum. Please take it to the appropriate forum. Thanks.

Last edited by BOCABLACKG35; 10-21-2006 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by AgentAero04
I agree.It rests with each individual on performance vs appearance.Some of us want a mix of the 2.I really don't care if someone elses car is faster.
Thats cause I know mine looks and sounds better(and thats stock)!!!

Yeeaahh Baby!
The G has great looks by anyone's standards. Sound, that's another story. I had the Stillen on mine, and it sounded good. I've heard every aftermarket system, and they either sound ok or really bad (rice), depending on the application.

But guys, the old standard saying is still correct."No replacement for displacement". I fire up the old V8 every morning and get a grin......The G is another V6 - period. And unfortunetly, lots of folks make them sound like the Honda lawn mowers that we all hate....

Old 10-21-2006, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by BOCABLACKG35
What is this thread turning into? Tt is simply about ttrank sharing pictures of his new wheels and that is it. It is getting way off topic and you guys are jacking his thread. If you would like to discuss the handling and such, this is not the correct forum. Please take it to the appropriate forum. Thanks.
Your right.The wheels like the rest of the car look hot!!Nice ride.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by BOCABLACKG35
What is this thread turning into? Tt is simply about ttrank sharing pictures of his new wheels and that is it. It is getting way off topic and you guys are jacking his thread. If you would like to discuss the handling and such, this is not the correct forum. Please take it to the appropriate forum. Thanks.
I thought we were enjoying knowledge about a "general discussion" that would be pertinent to this forum.Wheels and tires are directly linked to performance, which I would guess would pertain to everyone on this baord. If you need to be ****, there is a "wheel/tire" forum specific to these issues.

https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-tires-25/

If you feel a need to move this dialogue, please let us all know....

Last edited by DP03; 10-21-2006 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:00 AM
The G has great looks by anyone's standards. Sound, that's another story. I had the Stillen on mine, and it sounded good. I've heard every aftermarket system, and they either sound ok or really bad (rice), depending on the application.

But guys, the old standard saying is still correct."No replacement for displacement". I fire up the old V8 every morning and get a grin......The G is another V6 - period. And unfortunetly, lots of folks make them sound like the Honda lawn mowers that we all hate....
Thats true about the lawnmowers.. .
But c'mon.The stock exhaust(especially on deceleration-low end) sounds awesome.
I've listened to lots of sound files recently of so many set ups.....and nahhh.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by AgentAero04
Thats true about the lawnmowers.. .
But c'mon.The stock exhaust(especially on deceleration-low end) sounds awesome.
I've listened to lots of sound files recently of so many set ups.....and nahhh.
Ok, to be fair, there are only a couple of G setups that I've heard that sound ricey. Hondas are a whole different story. I guess I'm becoming more critical of sounds now that I drive a 6.1 liter vehicle everyday.......

Old 10-21-2006, 11:33 AM
wa hoo!!!

I drive w/o a muffler!

hopefully my Borla will be in soon

Old 10-21-2006, 05:35 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Sorry, we have to agree to disagee.

OK, sounds like a deal. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you since I don't care that much...

I'm taking my new Charger SRT8 out to the drags next weekend for the first time. The only reason this car comes with 20's standard is to clear the 14.2 inch Brembo brakes that come with the car. I expect a low 13 or high 12 stock based on other's experience. No one to date has done better with altered wheel combo.
14.2" brakes would fit on an 18" wheel. There are quite a few G's with them. It's for looks.

Good luck at the track, I hav raced a charger SRT-8 a few times and won by a decent amount. I'd like to know what you run after you take it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Changed my wheels