G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

X AWD/RWD mod idea

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X Switchable AWD/RWD mod idea

This might have been thought of before but here goes....

I have read that some X owners take the AWD fuse out, I am not sure if this is true, safe or even possible, I have not done that much research into this.

If this is possible and by just removing the fuse the X simply becomes a RWD G then I have an idea.

My idea (like I said this has probably been mentioned before) is to basically disengage the AWD system when I put the X into sportshift mode. Since this would be when the AWD isn't really needed and you are driving "sporty" so why not just have the AWD system switch off when you take the car out of the "D" mode. Anyone done this or have thought about it?

I would think a replay would do the trick for engaging/disengaging the AWD but how realtime is the AWD. Will removing the power to the AWD system just simply make the car RWD on a somewhat realtime basis?

Last edited by CGYg35x; 10-24-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember reading somewhere on the forum, that taking the fuse out also disables the brake lights. If I am wrong someone else chime in.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:23 AM
it would be a cool idea if you can put a switch/relay inline to the AWD fuse to disable it on the fly, say you want to launch with the AWD on, and then disengage it once you have launched for top end/drag purposes

Old 10-24-2006, 12:42 PM
^^^^^^^

It does that already, 25/75 at launch and then up to 0/100 after 20km/h I think.

What I am wanting to do is be able to disable it completely even at launch.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by CGYg35x
^^^^^^^

It does that already, 25/75 at launch and then up to 0/100 after 20km/h I think.

^Yes, after launch it reverts to RWD *until* slip is dectected

Old 10-24-2006, 12:57 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by CGYg35x

Why?
Burnouts?

Otherwise it seems like a waste to me to have a heavier version of the rwd.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:59 PM
you shoulda bought a regular G for less money and better gas milage :P

Old 10-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talk to "Neal376". He has that setup I believe.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:51 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
is there a fuse to add in a regular G to make it AWD?

Old 10-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Grocery getter

Originally Posted by GlenRoseFireFighter
is there a fuse to add in a regular G to make it AWD?

LOL

Old 10-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ttrank
Why?
Burnouts?

Otherwise it seems like a waste to me to have a heavier version of the rwd.

your ridiculuosly Anti X Trank

the Transfer case is more of a burden on the tranny than it is on the entire weight of the vehicle. The extra X stuff weights only 150 lbs more. Doesnt really make that much of a difference. When you disengage the AWD system on good pavement, the vehicle will actually accelerate quicker. the 6mt rear end that comes with the X already makes up for most of whatever difference there is in weight.

X's slower 1/4 miles times are more of a result of the soft suspension, all season tires, the effect of the TC's load on the tranny. Even Evo's are known to have quick launches - that eventually die off in the upper end somewhere around 40 or 50 mph. Same thing happens with my X. it just SHOOTS to 40, but slows down dramatically after that. the variable torque transfer thing is a bit fishy. It may not be as accurate as described by Nissan. when you put an X on a AWD dyno, all the wheels spin all the way up to 110 (and iam quite sure they will spin after that as well)

pull your fuse, it wont screw around with your brake lights or anything

ATTESA does a self test of the system after 10mph - you wont be able to disable AWD unless you turn the car off and on again (or come to a complete stop, put it in park, pull fuse) just rig a kill switch like I have, and hit before you put your car in gear.

plenty of people (many more than just the people represented on g35driver) do this. I have a switch rigged for it, and I turn it off and on FREQUENTLY. no problems yet, and thats about 5k miles later.

dont forget, the ATTESA-ETS system is a direct copy of the R34's systems (except for one special edition R33 thing labeled ATTESA-ETS-PRO - something like that)
even the fitment is exactly the same with the transfer case off center to the right of the transmission. This is a TOUGH system. Eventually all urs GTR's will come with it and people will once again hail the dammed thing.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:05 PM
So what I am reading is that the system can not be engaged/disengaged in realtime? If I have to turn the car off and on when switching between the 2 modes then really its not something I would pursue...unless there is a way of tricking the system to never detect rear slipage in which case the car would only be AWD when under 20km/h. There must be a signal of some sorts going to the front case to tell it when it is ok to be at 0%.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Grocery getter

Originally Posted by Neal376
your ridiculuosly Anti X Trank

the Transfer case is more of a burden on the tranny than it is on the entire weight of the vehicle. The extra X stuff weights only 150 lbs more. Doesnt really make that much of a difference. When you disengage the AWD system on good pavement, the vehicle will actually accelerate quicker. the 6mt rear end that comes with the X already makes up for most of whatever difference there is in weight.

X's slower 1/4 miles times are more of a result of the soft suspension, all season tires, the effect of the TC's load on the tranny. Even Evo's are known to have quick launches - that eventually die off in the upper end somewhere around 40 or 50 mph. Same thing happens with my X. it just SHOOTS to 40, but slows down dramatically after that. the variable torque transfer thing is a bit fishy. It may not be as accurate as described by Nissan. when you put an X on a AWD dyno, all the wheels spin all the way up to 110 (and iam quite sure they will spin after that as well)

pull your fuse, it wont screw around with your brake lights or anything

ATTESA does a self test of the system after 10mph - you wont be able to disable AWD unless you turn the car off and on again (or come to a complete stop, put it in park, pull fuse) just rig a kill switch like I have, and hit before you put your car in gear.

plenty of people (many more than just the people represented on g35driver) do this. I have a switch rigged for it, and I turn it off and on FREQUENTLY. no problems yet, and thats about 5k miles later.

dont forget, the ATTESA-ETS system is a direct copy of the R34's systems (except for one special edition R33 thing labeled ATTESA-ETS-PRO - something like that)
even the fitment is exactly the same with the transfer case off center to the right of the transmission. This is a TOUGH system. Eventually all urs GTR's will come with it and people will once again hail the dammed thing.

LOL, I'm just giving you crap.

That is good to know. So the X still weighs about the same as the coupe? I didn't know that.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. This system is RWD based so it's RWD when no slip is detected. So most of the time, it's acting just like RWD. It's really a great system and trying to defeat it seems counterproductive.

You aren't saving anything in terms of gas mileage or drivability by disabling it. You still have to lug around the extra 150lbs all the time.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking about doing this and then thought to myself. But even if you pull out the fuse and drive around in AWD mode, your only at 280 HP. So you are 18 HP slower the the 6mt RWD and 150 lbs heavier. I decided just to keep the AWD all the time. I should have just got the 6mt RWD. Next time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: X AWD/RWD mod idea