G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Really Poor Gas Milage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really Poor Gas Milage

Okay, I've heard a lot of you complain about poor fuel economy but tell me if you've got it this bad. My G has over 4000 kms on it. During the past 4 months that I've had the vehicle, I have never gotten better than 400 kms per tank of gas which is 76L according to the specs. Also according to the specs I should be getting a fuel economy of 12.6L/100 kms which translates to roughly 600 kms per tank. So basically I am getting half the claimed fuel economy which works out to be 11 MPG. I can understand that I'm not super gentle on the gas but most of my driving falls under 4000 RPMs with the occassional dash to redline but that can't get me 11 MPG could it? I think I drive fairly conservatively compared to other G drivers out there. Anyone else experience such sh*tty fuel economy? What can be done about it? For those of you who have more mileage on your vehicles, has the fuel economy gotten close to 22 MPG or 12.6L/100 kms? I am using premium gas mostly with the odd tank that's mid or low octance but not lower than the minimum recommended octane which is 87. I also followed the break-in procedure and did not exceed 4000 RPM (okay there were a few times) during the first 2000 kms.

I hope it gets better with mileage. In any case, I'm changing out my oil early instead of waiting till 6000kms which is the first recommended service.

Old 01-23-2003, 02:22 PM
Re: Really Poor Gas Milage

You are right in that...I'm getting around 17L/100km and with the premium gas prices at what they are it's beginning to add up. I'm going in for my oil change at 3000km, it's at 2300km right now, and finding out whether everyone has that or if it's the break in period or the cold or what.

Red/Canadian

Old 01-23-2003, 05:14 PM

My first 3000 miles I had poor gas milage. One thing that you have to remember, which I forgot, was that when you have a 20 galon tank, your Empty light goes on when 4-5 galons are remaining. Therefore your calculatoins should include only 15-16 galons of used gas, instead of 20. When I recalculated my gas milage it came out better.

..pestilence..

Old 01-23-2003, 05:35 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you guys calculate? Do you fill up then zero the trip meter, then at the next fill up divide the trip mileage by the number of gallons/litre pumped? Do this for 3-4 tank fill ups for an average?

Merlin.

Old 01-23-2003, 05:36 PM

I extrapolated ahead as I fill up at around 1/8 th tank left before the light comes on then figure out what mileage I would get if I went bone dry....it was at 400 km and I boosted it too 450 km....even if I took it to 500 km it's still only 15.2L/100km and it's not reasonable to get 100 km on the last 1/8 of a tank.

Red/Canadian

Old 01-23-2003, 07:03 PM

Merlin,

I've been doing what you said since i first got my car. it's varied, but i think out of all my fills, i average around 17 or 18. my current mileage is around 6800.. my high was around 23 mpg while my low was 15.. i'd really rather be getting around 18 city.. mileage is definitely very poor for this car. it's not much better than my suv that i gave up when buying the G. nothing but premium touches this car, too.
hopefully, i'll see some differences when i install my filter.

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 01-23-2003, 07:10 PM

I... Need...filter.... before saturday (in 2 days) when i dyno.

..pestilence..

Old 01-23-2003, 07:28 PM

Hmmm... I was concerned with poor MPG but I have seen 17-19MPG for the 3K miles I have been driving. Great Hwy MPG I just drive more city. I let the NAV system calculate if for me

Twilight Blue/Willow/Premium/Nav/Wood/Winter/Xenon/ 3M Clear Bra

Old 01-23-2003, 08:10 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KongzGx,
My mileage seems to have gotten better as the miles increase, then again I have not checked it in awhile and my wife drives the "G" most of the time. I tend not to worry about the MPG so much these days and just enjoy the car.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Merlin.

Old 01-23-2003, 08:16 PM
1NV

Averages miles/kilometer per gallon depends on many things. Weight carried, wind resistance, sustained speed based on traffic, etc. On a 110 mile straightway (Interstate 44 Tulsa-Oklahoma City), using the cruise control going at 65mph, I average 23mph. On the return trip, with the cruise control off, I averaged between 65-70mph, and averaged 22.4mph.

Old 01-23-2003, 10:30 PM

hey guys.. just wondering.... i park in a 14-floor parking garage.. i happen to be unlucky and have to park on the 11th.. you pretty much go in this spiral ramp that circles up the garage instead of having to drive gradual ramps that span the whole perimeter of it.. anyway, i probably have to make 6 full circles going up and down.. i'm wondering if doing this over and over going to work everyday is gonna wear down my tranny.. i'm sure it's doing a number on my tires as well as wearing down my breaks when i go down cuz i don't wanna run down too fast and hit other cars.. (sometimes i just put it in neutral going down and let off the brake a little, so it's going pretty fast.. hopefully that won't mess up my chassis or the alignment).. anyway, just wanted to know what you guys think.. i'm not use to going up steep areas since texas is pretty flat.. but some of you are from more hillier regions and probably know a thing or two of the effects of having to go uphill a lot..

Old 01-23-2003, 11:10 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You're gonna get a little more brake and tire wear, but I don't think that much. I wouldn't 'coast' too much in neutral. It's not good for the ring and pinion in the rear end (so I was told) apparantly it causes any slack in the driveline to bang on the ring and pinion gears.(for what it's worth). Go slow up and down so as not to hit anything and your chassis and alignment should be just fine.
Only other negative that I can think of that you'll get a little dizzy going around in circles. hahaha..........Enjoy.........

Gsedanman--in Silverstone Coupe clothing.

Old 01-23-2003, 11:27 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the only accurate way to check gas mileage is to first fill the tank (to the top) , drive it to a point like 1/4 tank or when the 'low fuel' light comes on, then gas up again (to the top) and divide that quantity into the distance travelled. I do this in a log every time I fuel up. Mainly for interest but it has told me that my Coupe mileage is bad too in the cold weather. A few less mpgs than the Sedan in the same weather. Right now I'm getting about 19-22 MPG's (Canadian size gallon) which converts to about 16-18.5 MPG's to a US gallon. For cold weather and break-in I don't think that's too bad. I'm expecting it to improve sustantially by the summer, but only when I 'granny it'.

Gsedanman--in Silverstone Coupe clothing.

Old 01-23-2003, 11:41 PM

hm.. i hadn't realized that coasting in neutral have bad effects.. sometimes i'll coast into lights in neutral to supposedly "conserve" gas.. i never could understand why being in neutral, especially at stop lights, could save any gas at all.. what's the logic behind this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Really Poor Gas Milage