G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Car can hide gun

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 11:56 PM
RXM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by g35 chippie
Hmmm...Uh, maybe the smell of the weed? That's all I need to search the car. It's called probable cause. And if it's a pound, that's possession for sales, transportation for sales and whatever the D/A decides to add. Oh! What's this? A concealed weapon? Add another felony.
And another thing...how can the cops just decide that since you have a lb of weed, that it is intent to sell? I mean, what if your the type of person to share with your family, and you have an extended family. Big family means more weed to make sure everyone gets a nice share. Cops...is there anything they won't do.....

Old 12-17-2006, 11:57 PM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by RXM
Don't smoke that lb of weed in the car and you'll be fine. Since when is it against the law to transport a handgun in your car? I wonder how people carry the gun home after they just bought it at the store???? FedEX? If you don't have a permit to carry, then having a gun in your car is fine as long as it is not loaded and there is not a bullet in the chamber...that or the guy at Guns-R-Us lied to me
Wrong, and your uneducated comments may lead to someone thinking it's ok to stash an unloaded firearm in an armrest, a fellony in many states...

Old 12-18-2006, 12:57 AM
chairman roflmao
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure how it is in the other states, but why conceal the gun when transporting it? It's legal to transport a gun (from a place to place, not just drive around with it), if the gun is unloaded and in a separate compartment as the bullets (perhaps in the trunk locked).

Old 12-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by strlen
Not sure how it is in the other states, but why conceal the gun when transporting it? It's legal to transport a gun (from a place to place, not just drive around with it), if the gun is unloaded and in a separate compartment as the bullets (perhaps in the trunk locked).
Dude, NO. Thats not true for every place!

Some states require a state-approved lock be on the firearm, others require the gun to be disassembled!

If you dont know what the F you're talking, about, shut it... You're going to get someone jammed up....

Old 12-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by G35 Mass

Some states require a state-approved lock be on the firearm, others require the gun to be disassembled!

If you dont know what the F you're talking, about, shut it... You're going to get someone jammed up....
Well . . . it depends. The 1986 Federal McClure-Volkmer Act (a.k.a. National Firearm Owners Protection Act) makes it legal to transport unloaded secured firearms in all 50 states and jurisdictions IF you are simply travelling from point A to point B during the coarse of a normal road trip such as a cross country trip.

For example, if I'm driving from Florida to Maine along I-95 and get stopped in the Peoples Republic of Massachussetts (or any other anti-gun northeatern state) the above Federal act protects me because I'm a tourist passing through.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by MiamiG35sedan
Well . . . it depends. The 1986 Federal McClure-Volkmer Act (a.k.a. National Firearm Owners Protection Act) makes it legal to transport unloaded secured firearms in all 50 states and jurisdictions IF you are simply travelling from point A to point B during the coarse of a normal road trip such as a cross country trip.

For example, if I'm driving from Florida to Maine along I-95 and get stopped in the Peoples Republic of Massachussetts (or any other anti-gun northeatern state) the above Federal act protects me because I'm a tourist passing through.
Um, again, you only know half the story.

First, to be able to transport THROUGH a state, you must be legal to possess that particular firearm in the state you're origionating from, and ending in.

Also, you are required to heed the individual state's laws on proper firearm storage. In mass, that requires unloaded, ammunition seperate, and both ammunition and firearm either directly locked, or in a locked container.

Putting an unloaded firearm in a console does not satisfy the proper storage requirements, and = unlawful carrying of a firearm, even if you're just "passing through".

Rhode Island, for example, requires either all of the above requirements be satisified, or the firearm be dis-assembled and in plain-view.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Um, again, you only know half the story.
I'm not sure I know what this comment means . . .

First, to be able to transport THROUGH a state, you must be legal to possess that particular firearm in the state you're origionating from, and ending in.

Also, you are required to heed the individual state's laws on proper firearm storage. In mass, that requires unloaded, ammunition seperate, and both ammunition and firearm either directly locked, or in a locked container.

Putting an unloaded firearm in a console does not satisfy the proper storage requirements, and = unlawful carrying of a firearm, even if you're just "passing through".

Rhode Island, for example, requires either all of the above requirements be satisified, or the firearm be dis-assembled and in plain-view.
I'm really not sure where you're going with all this. I was merely pointing out that there is a Federal law that protects interstate transportation of unloaded and secured firearms. I never said anything about "putting an unloaded firearm in a console".

What state law is there about storage that supercedes Federal law? As long as the gun is unloaded and secured (e.g. locked in your trunk) that's good enough. There is no requirement to satisfy state laws in addition to Federal law in this particular context; indeed, Federal law tumps state law.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:47 PM
chairman roflmao
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's why I said "not sure how it is in other states". You can look at my location to see what state I am in. Never claimed I am speaking for the entire country.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by MiamiG35sedan

What state law is there about storage that supercedes Federal law? As long as the gun is unloaded and secured (e.g. locked in your trunk) that's good enough. There is no requirement to satisfy state laws in addition to Federal law in this particular context; indeed, Federal law tumps state law.
Then why can states say someone cant own High caps or other certain firearms when there is no federal ban? You say that if the feds dont forbit it, it must be legal. Then how can half of the states in the country limit firearm ownership the way they do? THE CONSTITUTION SAYS I CAN OWN GUNS! The state is regulating them!

The US Code you are citing merely exempts a firearm owner from having to comply with a state's POSSESSION / OWNERSHIP requirements, provided that such person is only passing through. It does not address nor nullify any laws regarding proper storage of said firearms...

Old 12-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Then why can states say someone cant own High caps or other certain firearms when there is no federal ban? You say that if the feds dont forbit it, it must be legal. Then how can half of the states in the country limit firearm ownership the way they do? THE CONSTITUTION SAYS I CAN OWN GUNS! The state is regulating them!

The US Code you are citing merely exempts a firearm owner from having to comply with a state's POSSESSION / OWNERSHIP requirements, provided that such person is only passing through. It does not address nor nullify any laws regarding proper storage of said firearms...
I never said ". . . if the feds dont [sic] forbit [sic] it, it must be legal." I was simply stating this active Federal law that protects legal interstate transportation of unloaded and secured firearms. I even gave a specific example of my traveling from Florida to Maine on I-95.

Of course states can regulate firearms both in their state constitutions and statutes. In some states even local counties and cities can pass laws. This is why I live in pro-gun Florida. None of this nullifies what I stipulated earlier that in the context of traveling through various states the 1986 NFOPA protects the traveler and that state laws don't count in this situation.

I only made mention of this because although your post was accurate about different states having different laws about vehicular carry, you neglected to mention this Federal law; thus it sounded like anyone who is simply traveling from state to state has to figure out and comply with every local law, when this simply is not true.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 2nd amendment to the constitution protects your right to carry whatever you like on your person or in your car. Current federal, state, and local laws often disrespect this right.

So to find out what the feds, your state, or city will prosecute you for, be sure to check out www.packing.org and then check with your lawyer. Never believe anything you read on the internet.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by destroid
The 2nd amendment to the constitution protects your right to carry whatever you like on your person or in your car. Current federal, state, and local laws often disrespect this right.

So to find out what the feds, your state, or city will prosecute you for, be sure to check out www.packing.org and then check with your lawyer. Never believe anything you read on the internet.
Ok, now I'm confused. You said, "Never believe anything you read on the internet" but you posted a link?

I was only speaking for California with this whole gun topic. There is also a difference in what is considered a "concealable weapon." That's why in CA rifles and shotguns are required to have minimum barrel lenghts.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

Everything you want to know is here. Firearm laws are going to be in the Penal Code (12000 area) and Fish and Game Code.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just thought I would throw these in here:

12025. (a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when
he or she does any of the following:
(1) Carries concealed within any vehicle which is under his or her
control or direction any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable
of being concealed upon the person.
(2) Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(3) Causes to be carried concealed within any vehicle in which he
or she is an occupant any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable
of being concealed upon the person.

12031. (a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when
he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a
vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an
incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a
prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

12034. (a) It is a misdemeanor for a driver of any motor vehicle or
the owner of any motor vehicle, whether or not the owner of the
vehicle is occupying the vehicle, knowingly to permit any other
person to carry into or bring into the vehicle a firearm in violation
of Section 12031 of this code or Section 2006 of the Fish and Game
Code.
(b) Any driver or owner of any vehicle, whether or not the owner
of the vehicle is occupying the vehicle, who knowingly permits any
other person to discharge any firearm from the vehicle is punishable
by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year or in
state prison for 16 months or two or three years.

And Fish and Game Code:

2006. It is unlawful to possess a loaded rifle or shotgun in any
vehicle or conveyance or its attachments which is standing on or
along or is being driven on or along any public highway or other way
open to the public.
A rifle or shotgun shall be deemed to be loaded for the purposes
of this section when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in the
firing chamber but not when the only cartridges or shells are in the
magazine.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
best place to keep a firearm for personal protection is at arms length.. its useless if you can reach it...

Old 12-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
long guns ( rifles -shotguns) are not in the same category at a pistol.. remember this... in new york state its seperate. postols are listed as any firearm with a barrel length less than 16 inches muzzel to chamber. for example.... a Ar-15 with a 14 inch barrell is illegal to posess unlisted it it registered as a pistol. look under the BATF firearm laws they will over rule a state and local laws on firearms. the more you know the better off you are..
exercise your right carry but within the written laws people... dont be a statistic...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car can hide gun