Old 02-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbon Fiber Sunroof Plug

check this out, Carbon fiber Sunroof Plug

http://www.lighterfaster.com/index2.html

Last edited by ma_sha1; 02-19-2007 at 04:46 PM. Reason: -
Old 02-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Just open the sunroof on tilt mode that will reduce center of gravity and provide more stabilization

Old 02-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by ma_sha1
I don't use my sunroof at all! To me it's a useless piece of dead weight.

Thinking about removing All hradwares associated with the Sunroof except
leave the piece of glass in place.

How much weight would this save? If I could remove >20lbs, I think
I'll do it. it'll rediudce center of gravity. It's soo hard to loose weight on the G.

Has anyone done this?.
Is it the glass weights the most?

Old 02-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ma_sha1
check this out, Carbon fiber Sunroof Plug

http://www.lighterfaster.com/index2.html
I want a CF sunroof...thats tight.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm totally with the author on this one. Although it seems like too much work for an unknown amout of weight loss.

But just imangine the head room after a new headliner was installed! I wouldn't have to slum and sit uncomfortably in my LUXURY CAR!

Old 03-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by GWord256
I'm totally with the author on this one. Although it seems like too much work for an unknown amout of weight loss.

But just imangine the head room after a new headliner was installed! I wouldn't have to slum and sit uncomfortably in my LUXURY CAR!
Haha, you bought the car, its not even a luxury car, I think its like pre-luxury or barely-luxury category (someone correct me please). There are better cars for tall people, sitting uncomfortable was not in their design plans.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:08 PM
I agree that removing the sunroof is a lot of trouble and money to shed weight in the G.

That said, the roof is the best place to lose weight in a car. The center of gravity will be lowered and the car will be less top heavy. The M3 CSL has a Carbon Fiber roof and I believe the EVO MR has an aluminum one. Shedding weight up top will be more noticable in a car's handling than removing it from the bottom.

If I could go back to the day I bought my G, I would have gotten cloth seats, no sunroof, and no BOSE.

Interested to see how the carbon fiber panel works out...

Last edited by G35pm; 03-20-2007 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:33 PM
I'd consider it a sports car with class. But people on g35driver.com keep telling me its a luxury car so... well... now I call it a luxury car.

ZXERT, I hope you know your just throwing fuel on the fire here. I just posted on here for a little enjoyment cause **** like this always gets people to flame.

Originally Posted by Nickk6
Haha, you bought the car, its not even a luxury car, I think its like pre-luxury or barely-luxury category (someone correct me please). There are better cars for tall people, sitting uncomfortable was not in their design plans.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:22 AM
This is the most ridiculous post I've ever seen. You're parting out your car for a few hundreths of a second. If you're serious about making the car move, get lighter wheels, change your rear-end gearing, get some new cams and have it bored out, or just go twin-turbo or supercharged.

Why do you want to take out all the sound-deadening material and remove the sunroof? This post reminds me of that site where the guy with the civic took the entire body and all accessories aside from the driver seat off the car. Is it really worth it? Hell, trade the car in and get something else instead.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:44 PM
I doubt this would be cost effective, it being a custom job and all. Would need a new headliner, Carbon Fiber plug. Headliner I would imangine would be the most expensive. A flat peice of carbon fiber cut out to X-by-Y shouldn't be that much. But still an estimate would be nice.

Yeah, I don't do 1/4 miles or street race. Its all about the cornering

Oh and Zxert I wanted to mention something that my cousin told me. He saw people switch out their windows to lighter material. Maybe it was just thinner glass or Lexan, I don't know and I haven't searched for it. But thats something to think about.

I couldn't tell you how much the windows weigh. But glass is pretty heavy compared to lexan. I don't know what other problems you would come across though. Road legal issues, scratches, clarity, fading, warping, ect...

Old 03-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Lexan or polycarbonate has a good amount of UV resistance in it. Lot of honda guys love to change the hatch window to lexan. On a cheaper car or track car its probably not a problem, but it scratches pretty easily. If you want it coated in an anti-scratch film thats about $100-200 on top of $150 for a 1/8" thick 4'x8' sheet, although you probably don't need a whole sheet for the rear window. The next problem is cutting it down to size...gonna be a pain to get it even and clean looking.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Sunroof modual & rotor removal to loose weight & lower center of gravity