G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Borla Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla Exhaust question

Just wanted to know how loud the borla exhaust is for the sedan? I know its the quietest exhaust for the car but what is quiet? Any one have one installed in the Jersey City area?

Old 02-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Very loud under light and medium throttle. I'd venture to say it's at least 80%louder than stock under these conditions. At WOT, it's only maybe 20% louder. I had the Borla for about 5 days, but the noise was concern seeing that my son rides in the back where the drone was almost deafening. The guy that bought my exhaust gained about 5whp.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
i'll be running this saturday at englishtown you can hear my borla w/ turboxs test pipes... it sounds like stock driving on the highway at 3k rpm.... under those rpm's it's deep and a little loud but WOT it's quiet

Old 02-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea, its not too loud at all

Old 02-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Very loud under light and medium throttle. I'd venture to say it's at least 80%louder than stock under these conditions. At WOT, it's only maybe 20% louder. I had the Borla for about 5 days, but the noise was concern seeing that my son rides in the back where the drone was almost deafening. The guy that bought my exhaust gained about 5whp.

What Borla did you get?!?

I added this the first week I had my car. At the time my only engine mods were a stillen intake, utr cf z-tube and 5/16 spacer. It was not that loud at all. Under normal driving it was maybe 20% louder at the most and sounded awesome! On hard driving it is a little louder but still not loud at all.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Grocery getter

Originally Posted by ToughG
Is the Borla Exhaust louder than the Stillen Exhaust?

No, I have heard them both side by side, the stillen is louder and has more drone under normal driving.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:11 AM
I like my borla exhaust. I got it installed with Kinetix HF cats and Topspeed headers. It still sounds quiet, but deep imo. But at WOT you can hear how sweet it sounds

Old 02-28-2007, 12:28 AM
Grocery getter

IMO it's the best exhaust for a daily driver sedan.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:39 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Borla vs Whomever.............!

Since I'm on my third exhaust system I gotta tell you I was never impressed
with how the Borla system a. sounded b. looked c. fit and finish we're not
as good as many others! Check out www.utube.com and listen to what's
available.....Stillen systems for sound, fit and finish are second to none!
But check out utube and search for what sounds good to you. There's also
sound clips on www.magnaflow.com.....LOL

Old 02-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by ttrank
What Borla did you get?!?

I added this the first week I had my car. At the time my only engine mods were a stillen intake, utr cf z-tube and 5/16 spacer. It was not that loud at all. Under normal driving it was maybe 20% louder at the most and sounded awesome! On hard driving it is a little louder but still not loud at all.
Borla TD and the thing was loud. Signficantly louder than stock under partial load. Maybe not outside, but on the inside the car, the drone/resonance was annoying. I'm not 18 anymore and this exhaust system was just too loud for a sport luxury car. Don't forget that you have an 6MT which means you can vary your rpms and stay out of the drone range which is 1600-2400rpms. Us with 5ATs and torque converters are stuck listening to the annoying drone during normal driving.

Another thing that bugged me about the system was the lack of flex sections in the y-pipe. I really don't know what these companies are thinking by not putting the flex sections in the y-pipe. The purpose of the flex sections is to reduce noise/vibration/harshness (NVH). The Borla caused an annoying slight vibration in the cabin that was inline with the drone thanks to the lack of flex sections.

I'd never recommend a TD exhaust for these cars if the person is concerned at all about noise or NVH. The gains really aren't there either for the compromises. 4 to 7whp (Dynojet) is about the best you can hope for.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:56 AM
I got the coupe mid on right now and I love he way it sounds on the outside but its a little to loud for me in the 2300 to 3300 rpm range. There is drone and it seems as if it is worse than the straight pipe was. That does not make sense to me. Stupid question, are you supposed to remove the metal shield the is between the drive shaft and the resonator? It seems to me as it it hits it when I go over bumps.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by cooldog45
I got the coupe mid on right now and I love he way it sounds on the outside but its a little to loud for me in the 2300 to 3300 rpm range. There is drone and it seems as if it is worse than the straight pipe was. That does not make sense to me. Stupid question, are you supposed to remove the metal shield the is between the drive shaft and the resonator? It seems to me as it it hits it when I go over bumps.
If you think the coupe midpipe is a little loud from 2300-3300rpms, I can guarentee you the Borla will be twice as loud. I had the coupe midpipe for about week before I got rid of it because of the annoying slight vibration it caused under load (thanks to the lack of the secondary bracket on the coupe midpipe). I plan on purchasing the 05+ midpipe since it's designed for the sedan and sedan muffler.

As for the shield, yes, you need to push the shield up a little to give the coupe midpipe a little clearance. I just did it with my hand.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:13 AM
mayor what time you planning to be there? I might come down I work near by and will be in th area.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:14 AM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by ttrank
No, I have heard them both side by side, the stillen is louder and has more drone under normal driving.
Was it the Gen 1 or 2 stillen you heard?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust question