G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

2004 sedan issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 sedan issues?

Hi folks,
Glad I found your site. Looking at the G35 Sedan, just returned (other car) new purchase due to vehicle having way too many bad "normal characteristics" ie vibrations, rattles etc according to the manufacturer. Any issues with the 2004 G35 Sedan that Nissan/your dealerships haven't dealt with properly? In a previous life I was a Nissan mechanic and understand normal issues with a vehicle but my last "4 month" experience with a bad design has left me quite cautious on making another $32K+ purchase. The wife and I love the G35 but would also like your opinions of quality and dealer service issues.
Overall this forum paints a picture that the Infinity/G35 is a fine automobile.

Thanks "all" in advance for your help closing the deal on our future G35 purchase!

Happy Holidays

Smitty

Old 12-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: 2004 sedan issues?

Welcome to the site.

Like all such sites, many issues, problems and complaints surface where the general consumer would not even notice had they not been brought to one's attention.

I've had my G35 since May 2002, one of the early members of our group. I don't think the G has significantly more issues than any other car, and certainly less than most (we just don't hear about them). The ones that have been serviced, have certainly been dealt with in as efficient a manner as I would have expected. I'm quite happy with the service experience at my dealer, but this has not been the case at everyone's dealership.

I have no reservations in recommending the G35, other than not wanting to be like BMW, where every second luxury sport car sports the 'double kidneys'. If your expectations during your test drive are met considering price/performance/comfort/material and build quality, I believe you will be happy with your purchase.

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 12-06-2003, 02:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My only "issue" has been the doors close harder than I expected, leading to the door being ajar at times. But I blame this on the firmer rubber seals, since the car is definately quieter than my previous vehicles.

Non mechanically, the nits I have include too many console lights when driving at night. Almost intimidating. Worse, because I have a navigation system, and in my opinion, when it is off, the buttons for it should be off too.

Gas mileage has been similar to what I've seen reported, though it doesn't mean I have to be happy about it

I'll see how it feels on a long drive in a couple weeks. A 10 hour drive compared to my 3 hour drives I've done it.

2004 Sedan/DVD Navigation/Desert Platinum/Willow

Old 12-08-2003, 12:25 PM

Hey KJ, welcome!!

I took delivery of an '04 6mt sedan on last week...let me tell you, this car is killer!! I mean beyond new car hype, this is a drivers car and mine, so far, has been solid as a rock.

There are various threads on this and other forums about break-in schedules. I have chosen to simply drive my car sensibly and to enjoy it. That said, I have found that my car is torquey and very fast below 4k rpms, so I've found no reason to over rev the car...this car is not tempermental at all engine wise and so far there are no rattles squeaks etc. that I have heard and I have driven over rail roads tracks and other obstructions with the radio off and windows up to see what I could hear. With about 450 miles(avg 20.4 mpg by nav calc.) on the car I have to admit getting to 4 and between 4 and 5k just briefly, by mistake (I can hear you guys gasp:>)...again, not a tempermental nut or bolt in the car....I also believe in low rev engine breaking and down shifting when needed(again just driving the car and using all of the rev range below 4k)...my car has been fabulous!! The sterio to me is really good, and I'm a big music fan.

In conclusion, I know of no announced issues (ITB's) at the moment for the '04. My car has behaved beautifully and is a blast to drive...as a matter of fact I wanted to leave it home today and drive my truck...my trucks at home and I'm at work;>) Exceptional car and exceptional value in my humble opinion. p.s. They really do need to ITB that freakin' really weird oil dipstick...man it's really rediculous!!...my only complaint!

G35S 6MT!! DIAM GRAPH/ GRAPH BELLS WHISTLES ON ORDER...WAITING IMPATIENTLY

Old 12-08-2003, 01:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gman4gman,
Yes, that dipstick is weird for sure, it seems to get easier to use as time goes by though, it would be a tad easier if there was an underhood light though! I've had my car a month and a half now, still enjoying it as much if not more than the first day I drove it!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 12-08-2003, 02:14 PM

Glad to hear it gets better! My first time, I was like "what tha hell!!" I had read it was odd, but I had no idea! The way I've been driving, I fell I really need to keep a close check on things...

Yea the smile factor is huge in this car...Ive never seen my wife's eyes dart and glitter so much, all of a sudden she wants to learn how to drive a manual transmission...the mere propsect is terrifying:>)

G35S 6MT!! DIAM GRAPH/ GRAPH BELLS WHISTLES...DEFINETLY WORTH THE WAIT!!!

Old 12-08-2003, 03:14 PM

I've had my '04 6MT for about a month now and almost 1,000 miles... break in is almost complete! =D Anyways so far I have not noticed anything unusual yet, (knock on wood). I've driven mostly with the radio down and windows up as well to pick up any minor squeaks, rattles, noises, etc. Everything is great and the car has surpased my expectations. My only minor gripe is that when it's cold outside the shift from 1st to 2nd has that notchy, clicking noise. It's not grinding for sure. But I guess that's just common among manual transmissions. Oh yeah, the auto climate control system isn't all that great either regarding the programming and user friendliness. But overall my 04 has been solid. Couldn't be happier with my vehicle.

Trending Topics

Old 12-08-2003, 03:53 PM

Congrats on a wise choice dk!! It's a wonderful thing to feel that you actually got what you paid for...even better to pay for something and have that thing be much better than you thought it would be!

I really feel that I got the very best vehicle money could buy, for the money I spent. I would venture to say that there are some that spent more that are not nearly as happy with their choice!

Oh, by the way, did I mention how beautiful my car is?? Irradication of coupe envy is now complete! Before taking delivery I was a little worried. No more...the look of the sedan with aero and splash guards ....here we go again...definetly exceeded my expectations:>)

Old 12-08-2003, 07:19 PM

gman: Yup, it certainly does feel good to feel that you got your moneys worth and then some. Too bad my buddy doesn't feel the same way. He bought a 2003 BMW 325ci last year with only Navi and Sound. Out the door price for him was $35,500. My out the door price was about the same but I got so much more in my car in terms of luxury items and performance. After he sat in my car and saw the G coupe he now wishes he waited for the coupe. With the same amount of money he paid for his bimmer he could have gotten an auto coupe. I guess hindsight is 20/20.

Old 12-08-2003, 08:06 PM

Please be sure to get an extended test drive of an hour or so. Some people (incl. me) have found that the power seat controls on the driver's seat begin to dig into our hip/thigh area after more than 40-50 min. steady in the seat. Many are not affected by this, but for those who are it goes WAY beyond a minor annoyance like a rattle or stereo system complaint. It is significantly diminishing my enjoyment of this otherwise fine automobile.

I have had the Infiniti Technical Bulletin #03018 which is supposed to fix the problem applied. It is like putting a mere bandaid on a gunshot wound - totally insufficient. In less than 3 months the pain has returned almost as bad as it was prior to the "fix".

If Infiniti doesn't come up with a real solution to this problem soon, I will probably put my G up for sale! It is THAT bad! Some other owners have already given up and sold/traded their vehicles due to this problem. As a reference point, in my 26 years of driving dozens of different cars, I have never had the least problem from the seats of ANY of those other vehicles. That includes 3 weeks I spent driving a Chevy Cavalier rental after someone wrecked my car a few years ago. Infiniti needs to step up and fix this situation for real.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:55 AM

With all due respect GeeSpot( I know people are built different), I really don't get the leg pain issue or the lower back pain issue...I'm 5' 10-11" and about 175...ok...180 or so. I've had a herniated disk in my lower back which I opted to have no surgery for... and I love the seats!! Once properly adjusted, I even found that the clutch travel was not as long and stiff as I originally thought, basically I feel like I'm piloting a fighter jet. Snug but very comfortable. The only way my leg could ever touch the seat controls is if i flung it over the side of the seat bolster....talking about this is depressing me...my old truck was looking a little pouty so I drove it to work today...I think I'm having a severe case of G withdrawal syndrome:>(...

Anyway, I test drove in an '03 and to my recollection the seat controls were in the same position and have not been moved...

Old 12-09-2003, 12:26 PM

I appreciate the way you phrased things. However, a lot of different size/body types have experienced this problem, from 145-150 lbs. all the way up to some in the 220-240lb. range. I am 5'10.5" and 195 solid lbs. I wear 36" waist pants in the winter and 34" pants in the summer when I drop a few pounds. Conversely, some very large people 250lbs. all the way down to much smaller folks 120-130lbs. have reported having no problem from the seats.

For most the pain doesn't come from actual contact with the seat controls, but from pressure from within the seat bolster caused by the METAL bracket inside the seat that holds the controls in place. If you look at pictures of the seatframe and control brackets with the leather off you would see clearly and understand instantly why some people are having these problems. There are two metal posts about 2.5"-3" tall inside the bolster that hold the controls in place. It just makes NO sense whatsoever to place thin, sharp metal posts ANYWHERE inside a seating surface where SOME people are going to experience contact with them. Especially not in a seat that is already pretty narrow to start with. This isn't a case of one or two 500lb. people crying because they can't fit into theater or airplane seats. This is a design flaw that never should have made it into production.

I will state again, that in 26 years of driving a WIDE variety of cars I have never, ever before, experienced ANY problems with the seating in ANY automobile that I have driven or been in as a passenger.

This has been a big enough problem that Infiniti issued a Technical Service Bulletin (#03018) to address this issue, but it has proved insufficient to resolve the pain and numbness problems for most people who have had it applied to their G's.

I am happy for you and the others who do NOT experience this problem, but be advised, some of the folks who used to not understand found that over time they developed the same problem - either as their seat cushions broke in, or as the continual pressure began to build up and cause them nerve problems in their legs. Some discovered it on their first trip that lasted more than an hour or two.

Any potential buyer should be made aware of this possible problem, and should make sure they take a few test drives of one hour or longer. Believe me, it will be worth it to make sure whether or not the seats are OK for you BEFORE you spend $30-35,000 on this car!

Old 12-09-2003, 02:30 PM

Well said G! You're right, I have not noticed any pressure to date. I'll keep a eye out for it though.

I see you've come to grips with the 2" waist fluctuation:>) every winter I used to swear "I'm not going to let it happen!!". The one winter I kept the 8 - 10 pounds off, I was sick as a dog for what seemed like all winter! So now I stay excersised for the sake of my back, but don't sweat the few extra pounds and feel just great...getting a little harder to drop'em in the spring though!!:>)