G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

My G has been in the body shop for 6 1/2 weeks and counting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My G has been in the body shop for 6 1/2 weeks and counting

To make a long story short, I was involved in an accident back on Halloween. Right rear quarter panel, right rear frame rail and rear bumper needed replacement. I used Progressive Insurance's service because they dangled a lifetime warranty on their work in my face.

G was fixed- but didn't look 100% right to me. Progressive said it was all done correctly.

Took my car in for service to Infiniti and asked their opinion. Infiniti said the body work was all wrong.

Took my car back to Progressive and told them what Infiniti told me. I also said I didn't want my car being fixed by whoever fixed it the first time.

Progressive sent my car to body shop #2 ... the second body shop said the first place butchered my car and needed to completely re-work the entire repair plus some other stuff the first place missed.

Car has been there for 6 1/2 weeks to date. For the hassle Progressive agreed to re-painted my front bumper to fix some rock chips that have bugged me. Should I ask for anything else or do you think this is a fair compromise?

Sorry - that wasn’t as short as I had hoped.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Damn what are they doing building you a new car? I know the feeling though of not seeing a car for that period of time. And then the feeling after not being in your car for so long. It sounds like a fair comprmise though.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:18 AM
RXM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BBart
To make a long story short, I was involved in an accident back on Halloween. Right rear quarter panel, right rear frame rail and rear bumper needed replacement. I used Progressive Insurance's service because they dangled a lifetime warranty on their work in my face.

G was fixed- but didn't look 100% right to me. Progressive said it was all done correctly.

Took my car in for service to Infiniti and asked their opinion. Infiniti said the body work was all wrong.

Took my car back to Progressive and told them what Infiniti told me. I also said I didn't want my car being fixed by whoever fixed it the first time.

Progressive sent my car to body shop #2 ... the second body shop said the first place butchered my car and needed to completely re-work the entire repair plus some other stuff the first place missed.

Car has been there for 6 1/2 weeks to date. For the hassle Progressive agreed to re-painted my front bumper to fix some rock chips that have bugged me. Should I ask for anything else or do you think this is a fair compromise?

Sorry - that wasn’t as short as I had hoped.
Ask for them to deduct 6 1/2 weeks off of your premium b/c the car was in the shop being fixed due to the shoddy work of the body shop that they recommended That to me would be fair and would put a couple bucks in your pocket. Did you have a loaner during this time as well? If so, ask for that money too!

Old 03-07-2007, 11:44 AM
I thought about asking for a credit for my premium. I was driving my Mom's car for about 5 weeks while she was down in Florida and have had a loaner for the balance, so technically I did need to be insured since I was driving.

They did get away with not paying for a rental for about 5 weeks. I think I might ask just to see what they say.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Wow that sucks. I agree about asking for a credit on your premium but at the same time it covers your rental car.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heyyy i had a similar collision - could you elaborate on the shoddy body work? mine doesnt look to right either

Old 03-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Neal- Sorry to hear about your issues... around the time of my accident I believe I saw a thread about your situation and specifically asked if the gaps would turn out correctly.

Unfortunately, the only pics I took are on my cell phone. I know progressive took a bunch of them to prove that the first place messed up and said I could have copies. I'll try and get them from them when I finally get my car back.

The gap between my left side of my rear door by the wheel well was too tight. The gap between the right side of the rear door and the left side of my front door was too wide. Also, the very bottom left corner of the rear door did not appear to be flush with the wheel well (almost looked like someone tried to pry their way in).

Lastly, my trunk appeared to be shifted to the left and raised a bit on the right side close to the bumper. You could almost see into the right side (close to the tail light) of my trunk if you stood at a certain angle.

I was also told my new frame rail was not welded back in the correct location. And that the guy messed up something with my rear parcel deck.

It is good to see that Progressive is backing up their lifetime warranty as it was the only reason I let them pick the body shop in the first place. Good luck

Old 03-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident...Hopefully Progressive will take care of you and the shop fixes it correctly...
1+ on having them pay back your premiums and for rental..

Old 03-07-2007, 01:44 PM
not to hijack...but my car has been in the shop for 4 weeks now..accident occured on 2/5 damn the snow i didn't think the damage was bad, but the estimate was at $5K

It's still in the shop and i dont know what the hell is going on..they said i should have it by the end of next week

my rental coverage expires this saturday

i also have my HKS sitting in my rental car ready to be installed, but i guess i'm gonna have to somehow move it to my apartment, and find another way to get it to the shop to get it installed

THIS SUCKS! so i know how you kinda feel

Old 03-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea, my G went back about 63 times to have panels adjusted. they also had to fix interior pieces they destroyed

my rear door, and my rear deck/trunk lid needed adjustment. fortunetely I had pictures of the panels before the collision (i take tons of pictures of the G)

what worries me is that they had to adjust every single panel that the 1/4 panel was in contact with (they replaced the 1/4)...does that mean the new 1/4 itself is misalligned?

i hope panel adjustment does not mean permanent damage.

the biggest issue is the wheel....the subframe is damaged and even though it alligns properly, the wheel is still all funked up. its going back into another shop next week. that shop will measure my frame to see if that is the problem...and they are charging me for that inspection too!! it just doesnt end!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 02:05 PM
I was told that my new quarter panel was misaligned mis-aligned by the 1st body shop and needed to be replaced along with everything else the first place did.

This second place assured me that all measurements will be taken by laser and that everything should be the way it should be. Also, progressive has since put an adjustor that had owned a body shop and performed body work for 30 + years on my claim to make sure everything will be done properly the second time around.

I’m pretty sure everything will turn out fine this time… I just want my car back!

Old 03-07-2007, 09:55 PM
My baby is back in the body shop for the third time now. They will get it right, or they'll own an 06 6MT.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Progressive sucks(I used to be an adjuster) but then again so do most ins companies

Old 03-13-2007, 04:48 PM
After 7 1/2 weeks my G should finally be returned to me tomorrow.

The body shop manager told me today that the last step in their process is a total inside and out detail that should take 4-6 hours.

I'm fairly certain that Infiniti could have re-tooled their production lines back to the 05-06 specifications and sent me another car from Japan sooner than it has taken these guys to fix my car. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.