G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Local SCCA event

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Local SCCA event

It's been awhile since I've been involved with an SCCA event. Well this last weekend I went to our local San Diego event. Ryoken had told me about it. I had a BLAST. If you're into enjoying the G35 sedan for what it waas made to do, you'll love this. It is really safe and an excellent way to really see what these graet machines are capable of doing. Check the SCCA web page to see where your local SCCA is having an event. I took some pics so I'll attach a few.

6MT
Brilliant Silver/Sport suspension
Eibach Springs
Stillen exhaust and intake
clear corners
29,000K miles

154886-The starting line.jpg

Old 12-15-2003, 01:50 PM
Re: Local SCCA event

PIC #2

154889-Left turn.jpg

Old 12-15-2003, 01:51 PM

PIC #3

154890-loading for right turn.jpg

Old 12-15-2003, 01:51 PM

PIC #4

154891-looks quick.jpg

Old 12-15-2003, 01:52 PM

Great looking car, to bad that guy is in the picture.

154894-Before the session.JPG

Old 12-15-2003, 05:56 PM

Great to see another fellow sedan owner having as much fun as I am with his car. I did 10 events last year and I'm totally hooked. Here's me having some fun:

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

Old 12-15-2003, 06:52 PM

Lead_foot,

I notice that they have you classed in the STE class. What mods have you done to your G35? Who do you run with in your class (what types of cars). I think with my mods I should be in STX or something like that. The other G35 sedans that wwre at the event ran in the DS class.

Old 12-15-2003, 06:57 PM

Oh yeah lead_foot where do you live? What SCCA region are you in? How did you do this year competition wise? This was my first event so I'll have to work on the pictures. Your pictures are great. Do you turn the VDC off when you run? I turn my VDC off all the time as I find it way to intrusive with the 6MT.

Old 12-16-2003, 12:18 AM

6speedG35sedan,

I'm in Houston. They have a street tire class here which is why I run in STE. I've been very competitive considering I just started in April and I had never even heard of autocross before that. If you look at the standings from May to December (search for Don Gutierrez), you'll see I've improved dramatically. I have improved the car quite a bit too as you'll see below with my list of mods.

There's a PDF document on the Houston SCCA website that explains the modifications allowed. You can also look at a list of my regular competitors. Mostly Mustangs and WRX's in my class. I came in 4th overall in the year end standings which I'm pretty happy with. All the guys in my class are fun to be around and we have a good healthy rivalry going. I still have a lot to learn.

Now for the mods. I'm the only guy consistantly in the top 5 without a limited slip. I'm working on trying to get one in once we figure out some part differences. This is allowed in my class because of the update/backdate rule and the new G35x. Basically, now that the new model has a limited slip, I'm allowed to update mine to match. I love that rule.

Here's a list of what I've done:
17x8 Enkei RP02-J Wheels
255/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 Tires
Tein Flex Damper kit with EDFC
Cusco Sway Bars
Stillen Cross-drilled Slotted Rotors
Hawk HP Plus Race brake pads
TechnoSquare ECU Upgrade
Unorthodox Crank Pulley
Injen CAI
Drilled Aluminum Pedals
Relocated VDC button to center console

Coming next week:
Stillen Dual Exhaust
Nismo LSD - Possibly

Hope that answers all of your questions.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

Old 12-16-2003, 01:39 AM

Wow, looking at both of your pictures makes me want to do this, too! One question for both of you, since it looks like you're both lowered. Do your lowered cars have any trouble with scraping during normal driving situations, like going over speed bumps or in parking lots? I've been thinking about getting rid of the fender gap, but I've been worried about the already low ground clearance, especially in the front. Thanks.

Old 12-16-2003, 09:09 AM

The only think I have to battle on a regular basis is parking and curbs (in front). I usually just park a little further back in order to not scrape the underside of my bumper. Other than that, I recently got a floor jack to facilitate swapping tires for autocross and the clearance was barely enough to get the jack under there (5.5"). Tight squeeze, but it worked. I haven't had issues with speed bumps at all.

Old 12-16-2003, 11:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you like the Enkei RPO2-J's? I'm eyeballing them in the 17x7 version (so I can stay in D-Stock).

Here's me from an earlier event this year. I didn't bring my camera last weekend.

Oh, note the excesive body roll in those turns.. even the sport suspension needs some help. Sway bars and such would be nice, but I'm not ready to jump out of the stock class yet, and I haven't seriously looked into what suspension mods are legal (though I know sway bars are not).

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

155394-Ryoken220.jpg

Old 12-16-2003, 11:44 AM

Awesome!

What part of the country are you in Ryoken?

To answer your question, I love the Enkei's. They really make a good lightweight quality wheel. The RP02-J's are really easy to clean too, which is important for us G owners.

Old 12-16-2003, 12:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

San Diego. Same as 6speed.

I was thinking of getting the RPO2-J's with some Kumho Victoracers, and keeping the stock wheels for daily driving. In something of an oddity, stock classes are allowed to use DOT-R race tires. It's kinda pricey to get set up, but it saves your daily tires from abuse and cuts several seconds from your lap times, or so they tell me. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Of course, now that STX has been recognized as a national class, we'll probably start running it in San Diego. In that case, maybe I should consider 17x8's and 245 street rubber along with a few other mods.

Decisions, decisions....

Then, of course, there's the option of buying a 90-93 Miata for racing. Those things fly through autox courses.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 12-16-2003, 12:17 PM

They (Miata's) sure do, but I think it's much more fun when people drool over the looks of your car, then they see how bad *** it is on the track as well. I've started hearing people talk about my car and it's performance from people I've never met out there. It's pretty cool.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Local SCCA event