The Road Trip Gone Wrong - very long

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Road Trip Gone Wrong - very long

THE ROADTRIP GONE WRONG....

Preface:
I've owned my car for 3 months and I love everything about it. This is a story about what happened to me on a road trip in my car 2 weeks ago.

Friday night my wife and I decided to head North to San Francisco and beyond and we took my brother along for the journey. Friday was uneventful, and Saturday after San Francisco, we were heading north on the 101 fwy on our way toward Eureka when I got a speeding ticket - 81 in a 65 zone. Annoyingly, I got a speeding ticket a little less than 6 months ago and went to traffic school - thereby making me ineligible for traffic school, but eligible for high insurance rates.

So anyway - the night went on, we got to our hotel, and the next day continued north on the 101 to Oregon. So we get to Oregon (Medford to be exact) to visit my wife’s friend and mostly to go there because there is a place up there that sells really really good beef jerky, and my brother has never been to Oregon...and it is illegal to pump your own gas and gas is cheaper, so you go there and pay less than you do here in Southern California, and get full service by a hick in some ho-dunk town in Oregon, one who doesn't understand what a gas gift card for the station he works at is. So anyway, got gas, got jerky, and on my way to Reno, NV....

Now here is where the excitement starts... I'm heading south through Oregon on the 5 fwy. To get from Oregon to California or vice versa, on the 5 fwy, you go over the Sisqiuyoi Mountain range - (I spelled that wrong) The highest elevation is somewhere around 4500 ft or so. We passed a sign that said, "Chains required if lights are flashing". They weren't flashing, so we continued.

So I'm about 10 miles up the freeway when I hit traffic... a minute or two later, it's starts snowing very lightly on us. My wife and I have spent very little time in the snow, so we're enjoying the snow and the scenery at this point, and all though this is my first time driving in the snow, I'm not concerned at all. We continued slowly up the freeway in stop and go traffic. Then the fun begins... I discover quite quickly the disadvantages to having a rear wheel drive car. It doesn't handle on ice - at all. So my car keeps slipping as I slowly drive up the hill, the slip differential kicks in and basically locks the tires. I find out later that the slip differential is designed to assist in rain or wet road conditions, not ice and snow. I press the little button that says TRD off (left and below the steering wheel) and then am able to get enough traction for my car to at least move. Apparently, what the slip diff. does is lock the tires that are not moving at the same speed as the other tires - since I was on ice and snow, every tire was kind of doing it's own thing, and the car was frozen in the fast lane. Mind you the fast lane was only going about 10mph before I slowed it down. So I press the trd off button and my tires are then able to work with me a little more, but because the car is real wheel drive I started sliding sideways. The car will not straighten out no matter what I do and the tail of my car is going sideways into semi trucks next to me in the slow lane. I was within 2 feet of hitting a semi a couple times. The semi in the slow lane saw I was having problems, so he backed off so I could get in the slow lane. I could not steer over there, so I put my car in reverse and rolled into the slow lane. I then continued up the mountain with slightly better traction because I was following another semi and driving in his tracks. Then the truck in front of me stopped... so did I. I assumed he was stuck in traffic, so I waited. A couple minutes later, he got out to put chains on his truck. I didn't go around him because my car would slide if I tried going anywhere other than the tracks of the truck that was no longer moving in front of me.

I soon found out that even with chains on, this trucker had no traction and was stuck on the freeway. By the way, it's snowing harder now and my wife has to use the restroom - and is reminding me of this every minute or so. The trucker behind me gets out and tells me that the truck in front of me is stuck and I should go around. I tell him I can't and he goes back to his truck. Finally a snowplow goes by in the fast lane and drops gravel on the road. By the way - there are only 2 lanes in either direction on this stretch of the freeway. The trucker behind me comes back and tells me that I can get traction on the gravel, so I should go around now. I remind him that I can't get to the gravel, so he offers to push me. I accept, and he walks behind my car and pushes me as I steer onto the gravel. I decide against stopping to thank him, and continue up the mountain to the next off-ramp about a half-mile from where I was stuck.

I exit the freeway and drive toward a hotel/restaurant nearby. The snow is coming down very heavy at this point, and everything is covered with snow, so I miss the entrance to the hotel. I go down a small hill and around a curve and realize I've passed the entrance. I try to turn around and lose traction, slide off to the side of road into the snow and my car is completely stuck. I send my wife and brother out of the car and up the hill to the hotel for safety, and because my wife is still reminding me that she has to use the restroom really bad.

Because I am sideways in a curve on a dark road, I try for several more minutes to free my car. I give up and work my car as far back from the road as possible. I decide to call my Infiniti towing service. Several phone calls later, they figure out where the heck I am and dispatch a tow truck. 45 minutes later he shows up. While I was waiting for the tow truck a van got stuck in the same area I did, but more in the middle of the road. Because of this, I got to watch every car that came around the corner a little too quick, hit their brakes and slide to within feet of hitting me or the van or another car. It sucked and scared the crap out of me each time.

Also, while I was waiting for the tow truck, my wife calls me and says that there is 1 room available at the hotel, for the low low price of $180, and wants to know if she should reserve it. It's now snowing harder (yes, that's the 3rd time I've said that), so I decide I'm not going anywhere tonight and I say go ahead (knowing that a $180 room is actually costing me an extra $60 that I spent on the room reserved in Reno that is too late to cancel) So, two minutes later, she calls me back to say that before she had a chance to tell them yes, someone else got the last room, so she rented two couches in the lobby for $10 each. One for my brother to sleep on, and one for her and I to sleep on. Fortunately it was in front of the fireplace.

Anyway, at this point I'm still in my car waiting for the tow truck. He gets there and turns around and prepares to winch me out. I then got out of my car and dig in the trunk under the luggage and under the mat for the tools that come with the spare tire. Fortunately for me, I read the manual that explains that in order to pull the car, you need the hook that's with the tools. Then you need to remove the front license plate or plate cover and attach the hook. By the way, it's now snowing even harder. So the tow truck driver and I figure out how to remove the cover and we attach the hook.

Let's backtrack a second...while I am digging in the trunk I hear some yelling in front of the tow truck. Someone in an early 90's Civic or Corolla came around the curve hit their brakes and slid toward the tow truck. The moron in behind the wheel of the early 90's Civic or Corolla sends his girlfriend in front of his car and in-between the tow truck and his car, to help guide him away from the tow truck. The tow truck driver yells at the girl to not stand in-between the two large pieces of metal, and seconds later, the car slides the rest of the way into the tow truck. The girl would have been crushed. Lucky for the moron behind the wheel, his car only hit the tire of the tow truck. They got their car moving and the tow truck driver continued to prepare to pull me out. Once the winch was attached, he began to attempt to free my car. With chains on his truck and everything, he kept sliding all over the place. So he gets out of his truck disconnects the winch, then decides to put my car on the flat bed instead. Once on the flatbed, he drove me up the hill to the hotel, unloaded me, then told me that Infiniti only authorized the winching, not the tow (even though it was less than one block up a hill), so I could either pay him cash for the tow, or call Infiniti and have them authorize the tow. I call Infiniti, asked them to authorize the tow, they did (with no hassle at all I might add), and then I drove across from the street from where he unloaded me, into the upper parking lot at the hotel.

I parked, and walked down the small hill to the hotel and restaurant. We finished dinner then sat on our sofa's (not sofa beds, just regular sofa's). The hotel lobby looked like a taxidermy shop. On one wall across from us was the heads of 2 deer and one elk and on another wall were a cougar skin and some other animals I couldn't recognize. But my favorite was the animal directly above where my wife and I got to sleep. A huge bear skin, with it's head facing down, and mouth open and tongue hanging out. Every time in the night when we opened our eyes, the bear would stare back at us and assure us that we were not alone. Also, in the middle of the night, random people stuck on the freeway would come in and fall asleep on the floor. In the middle of the night, the power went out and the hotel lost water pressure.

The next morning, the blizzard continued. My car and everything else was buried in 2 to 3 feet of snow, or more. The owner of the hotel said that it was the worst blizzard she had seen there in 6 years. Most of the employees were not able to get to work because the freeway was closed, so one of the customers offered to cook breakfast for everyone. There was still no electricity, but the gas worked. So we had community scrambled eggs and ham and pancakes. As the day progresses, some people with chains and 4x4's are able to leave. There was only one lane open for both north and south traffic, and only open for people trying to get out. I tried to get chains for my car and soon discovered they don't make chains for tires the size of ours. Ahhh the joy of owning a sports car. I later discovered that they do make cable chains that size, but was told that they fall apart very easy. Also, the nearest place that had them was about 20-30 miles north of us.

We soon realized we weren't getting anywhere that day. My wife was bored, so she offered to help in the kitchen because the hotel and restaurant was so understaffed because of the blizzard. She did a lot of dishes and table set-up. The storm backed off as the day progressed, so my brother and I grabbed some shovels and unburied my car. The weather report said from 4pm on through the next day (which would be Tuesday), there would only be light snow, and then another storm was coming in Tuesday night. If we didn't leave Tuesday, we weren't leaving anytime soon. So we unburied my car and then hung out in the lobby. I told the lady at the hotel that if a room opens up I would like it because I didn't want to spend another night on the couches...a room opened up, and because they were so appreciative of my wife helping out when they were short staffed, they gave us the $180 room for free, also free dinner, and a couple free drinks. The room was very nice with a fireplace, a jacuzzi tub, a king size bed, and a sofa bed.

The next morning we happily awoke to some sunlight and discovered that the parking lot was completely plowed out, and the freeway was open in both directions with chains not required. We loaded up, unburied my car again, and then struggled to get it out of the parking lot. Once on the road, we continued south on the 5 for 130 miles until we got out of the snow, then continued all the way home. We got home Tuesday night at about 8pm. Exactly 2 hours behind schedule, but 48 hours if you consider the fact that we never got to Reno. By the way, the blizzard was so bad that the 5 freeway was closed in both directions for over 130 miles. Tuesday, more than a day and a half later, cars were still buried and abandoned on the freeway. We were there Sunday night to Tuesday morning.

Well, that's my story. Sorry it's so long.

Fortunately, no body damage to my car. I washed it Wednesday to get all the dirt and salt off of it and it looks very happy again.

2004 G35 Sedan - Silver w/ black leather interior, tinted windows, and a spoiler.

Old 01-07-2004, 04:43 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: The Road Trip Gone Wrong - very long

Whew, that's a long one. Good narrative. I'm glad to hear your G was okay, as many people experiencing snow for the first time (and unexpetedly) tend to not be so lucky.

When I drove to Vegas from Indiana, I passed through the rockies and stopped by Breckenridge for a few days-- my car was LOADED down, and performed admirably in the snow because of it (I'm guessing). I see people pirouette through intersections into lamp posts all the time... glad you didn't experience that!

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 01-07-2004, 05:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes road trips can be very eventful. My sister inlaw and her husband and 9 month old baby were stuck on the side of the road while it they closed down the freeway for 10.5 hours. Not too much fun during a blizzard.

Jim

Jim
'03.5 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio

Old 01-07-2004, 09:45 PM
fnt

Great story. I especially liked the part about the animal heads at the hotel.

All-in-all, I'd say that you were lucky to get out of this with your car unscathed. I think that most people who don't have much experience with snow don't realize how quickly things can go bad in a snow storm.

Also, I don't think that your problem was caused as much by the G's rear wheel drive as by your tires. With good snow tires, rear wheel drive cars - including the G35 - do fine in snow, although nothing short of studs helps much on ice.

Old 01-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, not being used to snow driving didn't help either, it's a different "animal" than any other driving for sure!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 01-07-2004, 10:47 PM

Wow.. that was long. Its hard to believe that all of that happened in a short amount of time. Its good to hear that your G got out of that mess in one piece. I think thats why there is a all wheel drive G35 now. I bet if your car was black you would see the little things that happened to your paint. because i just drove through malibu canyons and there are a lot of little peble marks on the front of my car.

03.5 Blk/Blk G35 Sedan 6mt navi spoiler. stock for now. partialy sponsered by sport compact pro/racer x.

166394-114_1486 really small.JPG

Old 01-08-2004, 12:01 PM

wow that was a long story.. I read all of it though!! im glad everything worked out in the end and everyone was safe...

Old 01-08-2004, 02:37 PM

I can't believe I read the whole story too. Good writing skills help. That story about being stuck with a 9-month old is crazy.

2003.5 G35 Sedan 6MT Brilliant Silver on Graphite
Premium/Aero/Sport/Tints/Factory Chrome Rims

Old 01-08-2004, 05:15 PM

Great story!

Call me weird, but the part where you wrote "Once on the flatbed, he drove me up the hill to the hotel, unloaded me, then told me that Infiniti only authorized the winching,"

I read "Once on the flatbed, he drove me up the hill to the hotel, unclothed me, ..."

I was starting to think it was turning into a romance story from the likes of Deliverance.

<font color=blue>04 DG/G Coupe 5AT - St. Louis, MO
Premium, Aero, Performance, Splash Guards
Metallic Tint - 5-Wire Grounding Kit
MB Quart / Eclipse Stereo
PIAA Extreme Whites - K&N Drop-In</font color=blue>

Old 01-08-2004, 06:14 PM

^^^ ROFL!!

- NICNoobie

2003.0 Brilliant Silver Sedan
Graphite Leather
Premium Package
Clear Corners

"Why are you my English not being understanding?"

Old 01-08-2004, 10:34 PM

If Infiniti hadn't authorized it, I would have said, "Gee, I'm terribly sorry that you failed to mention the excess cost up front and then went to the trouble of hauling my car up here for free."

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter