G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

clutch operation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch operation

got me a new 6mt last week and LOVE IT! but the clutch engages funky to me. you have to depress about 25 percent before it engages. this slows up shifting unless you leave it depressed between shifts. never had a clutch catch this far below the top postion. had dealer check it and they said it was in spec.

anyone else's clutch operate this way? makes it tough to shift as smoothly as i would like and i pride myself on being better than an AT and i'm not there yet.

04 6MT sedan, black/willow

Old 01-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Re: clutch operation

Yeah, a lot of people complain about the clutch pedal being too high and having to travel too far to fully disengage the clutch. Mine is like that too. I don't know what to say but to either get used to it or if you want to risk it you can adjust the clutch pedal lower. I think there's a how to here or on freshalloy. Good luck.

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium

Old 01-08-2004, 06:15 PM

yup - you can definitely adjust it - it's a hassle to get up under the pedal, but once you do, it's huge difference. dklau33's right - there are do-it-yourself's around if you look for them.

You can adjust it to engage closer to the floor, but I don't know if you can make it any higher - there has to be a certain amount of freeplay from the top to where it engages to make sure the clutch can fully engage if it starts wearing.

As for being smoother than AT, you may have to give it more than a week's practice with a new clutch.

Old 01-09-2004, 12:47 PM

Thanks Guys,
i tried this last night using the info i read on the freshalloy site. If you just loosen the locknut, turn the rod two turns by hand and re-tighten the locknut it's only a 3 to 5 minute job. i didn't even have to adjust the cruise control actuator.

the change seems to minimize the notchy 2nd gear performance and smooths out shifting of the upper gears. i would definitely recommend anyone that doesn't like the amount of play in the upper clutch to try it. i still have about a half inch of play after the adjustment. it was more like an inch and a quarter before. the brake pedal is now about the same height off the floor board as the clutch.

again thanks for the tip.

04 6MT sedan, black/willow