G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

My Work VSXX gold project failed today (spacers)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 05:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by (>")> G35
The shop should be able to do. I think they need to remove the calibers, knock out the old ones and put in the new ones. Since your getting spacers, get a set of 4 so front and rears will be more flush.
hey i saw your old thread here

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...t=spacer+bolts

did you ever install those H&R 5mm spacers without longer bolts?

Old 07-09-2007, 05:52 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bert039
The Work rims I have are 8.5" in the front, O-Disc, and with a 38 offset and I have no problems with the spokes clearing the calipers.

Sorry, I didn't think you'd have a problem with a 42mm offset either. If this is the case then I'd recommend 5mm spacers also. I'm not sure how much spoke design comes into play but this should the offset low enough without going too low.
You have the smaller single piston brakes, he as the dual piston upgraded brakes, thats likely why yours cleared and his didn't

Old 07-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Originally Posted by redlude97
You have the smaller single piston brakes, he as the dual piston upgraded brakes, thats likely why yours cleared and his didn't
I'm assuming you know that by looking at the picture I posted? I have a 5mm generic spacer today to ONLY test clearance. If it clears I will order up some h&r spacers and bolts if I dont get 7 turns with the 5mm spacer.

Do you think 5mm is enough?

Old 07-09-2007, 06:06 AM
personally, I would try a generic 3mm spacer first, and then go to a 5mm spacer if needed since you won't have to change the stock studs out with a 3mm spacer

Old 07-09-2007, 06:30 AM
well im back in the office now and cant go pickup the generic spacer - besides these spacers are not returnable and costs me like $50 each.

If the 5mm if alot then ill hit up the 3mm.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ I installed my H&R 5mm spacers without changing out the bolts and it's been perfectly fine for me. Some people recommend it but I haven't had a problem for about 2 years now. You could just install it in the front only because it won't be able to tell just by looking at it.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by clinthammer
well im back in the office now and cant go pickup the generic spacer - besides these spacers are not returnable and costs me like $50 each.

If the 5mm if alot then ill hit up the 3mm.
To confirm the spacer size, use some washers to test fit.
Just stack a few flat washers on the studs until you get clearance,
Measure the stack, then order then next size up from that.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually have '05 Coupe (dual piston) calipers/rotors/lines, front and rear, from a sport tuned suspension model. I purchased them from a fellow board member and installed them myself.

I'll have to measure the clearance on mine, but again, with my +38 offset, I do not have an issue with spoke & caliper clearance. As the spoke design might be a factor (I have Work Varianza's and the spokes are slightly curved), I'd also recommend trying it out with washers first, as it seems like the most cost effective way.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:39 PM
offset makes no difference, all o-disk vs-xx's have the same caliper clearance, whether is a +42 or a +20.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:50 PM
well good news.

I just got back from the tyre shop who didn't charge me anything to test fit the 5mm spacer. The spacer worked well and now there is enough clearance (say 4mm atleast) for the front brake. The rears dont need spacers at all but they suggested it to keep the same offset on all 4 wheels.

We also got 7 turns (more even) using the open ended Work Wheels P1.25 lugnuts.

I will post pics of the lug nut, hub centric ring and spacer soon. Time to order the H&R spacers.

Imp question: Since I will order the H&R 5mm spacer, what size bolts will I need. I know I need ones with an extra 5mm to accomodate the spacer. But what is the size of the stock bolt?

Thanks for all your help.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:53 PM
offset makes no difference, all o-disk vs-xx's have the same caliper clearance, whether is a +42 or a +20.

Sorry, I do not understand what you are saying. You were just suggesting to him to try either a 3mm/5mm spacer. That would make his offset +39/+37 respectively. If offset does not matter, why do you suggest the spacers?

Are you saying that all O-Disc VS-XX don't clear non-brembo's, period?

Old 07-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by clinthammer
well good news.

I just got back from the tyre shop who didn't charge me anything to test fit the 5mm spacer. The spacer worked well and now there is enough clearance (say 4mm atleast) for the front brake. The rears dont need spacers at all but they suggested it to keep the same offset on all 4 wheels.

We also got 7 turns (more even) using the open ended Work Wheels P1.25 lugnuts.

I will post pics of the lug nut, hub centric ring and spacer soon. Time to order the H&R spacers.

Imp question: Since I will order the H&R 5mm spacer, what size bolts will I need. I know I need ones with an extra 5mm to accomodate the spacer. But what is the size of the stock bolt?

Thanks for all your help.

If you get H&R, the bolts come with the kit.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by bert039
Sorry, I do not understand what you are saying. You were just suggesting to him to try either a 3mm/5mm spacer. That would make his offset +39/+37 respectively. If offset does not matter, why do you suggest the spacers?

Are you saying that all O-Disc VS-XX don't clear non-brembo's, period?
Changing the offset by using a spacer is different than ordering odisk vs-xx's if different offsets. They get different offsets by changing the front and rear barrel halves, but the center piece stays the same for all o-disk setups.

I still suggest a 3mm spacer if you have 4mm of clearance, that way, you don't have to change the bolts out at all and its perfectly safe and cheap. I think they can be had for ~$20 a pair from most autoparts stores

Old 07-09-2007, 01:13 PM
i would try 3mm but after reading alot of threads ive become **** about getting the h&r 5mm hub centric spacers.

plus the generic spacer i tried here did not sit well at all. it was loose. my next post will explain why as i will post pics.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Generic spacer

WORK hub centric ring for G35

Work wheels p1.25 open ended lug nut - 5cm long

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Work VSXX gold project failed today (spacers)