G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Fixed my roaring (feathering) tire issue on my sedan, run the tires backwards

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
1) Dave posted more links to state his theory than YOU have.

2) You are CLEARLY the one with a hard on for Dave. As YOU have way more posts attacking his credibility in this thread than I confirming your lack of credibility.

3) Why don't you spend more time posting the links we asked you for before asking someone else for theirs?

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Take your personal attacks somewhere else Jeff. You are ruining this topic like usual. Stay on topic.

Nah, you actually need to act like a adult. We are asking for the link where he found this Michelin information. So we are still waiting.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see the harm in asking for where he found this information. I wasn't the only one that asked. LOL!

Jeff you need to chill out.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Red Card Crew

I don't see the harm in asking for where he found this information. I wasn't the only one that asked. LOL!

Jeff you need to chill out.
Neither do I see any harm in asking for links to proof your points. The problem is we never got them. See how that works? See the hyprocsy?

Old 08-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Premier Member

Grow up Jeff. Mod asked you to stop, but your ignoring his request. Now back on topic.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Grow up Jeff. Mod asked you to stop, but your ignoring his request. Now back on topic.
Russ, you're not a moderator. The moderators do not need your help in reminding people about the rules.

Jeff & Russ: drop it. Any more posts in this thread along these lines will be deleted.

Last edited by trey.hutcheson; 08-09-2007 at 03:05 PM. Reason: fixed from *nod to *not
Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i only did the fronts on my car, so worst case is i get some under steer and slow down.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Premier Member

Thank you for your email. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

A directional tread design is intended to be run in one direction to
maximize handling and traction capabilities. If you run it in the wrong
direction it will diminish the handling and traction capabilities that the
tire was designed to deliver. It will not damage the tire itself but it may
not wear properly.

Thank you for your question about Michelin tires.

If your questions have not been answered to your satisfaction, please call
me at 1-800-847-3435 (toll-free) between 8:00AM and 5:00PM Eastern Time
Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,

Mike

Michelin North America
Consumer Relations

Old 08-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Red Card Crew

But on the topic of uni-d tires. Not sure what an email from Michelin is going to prove one way or another. As the reply wouldn't be stated for truth but for avoidance in litigation.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

tire was designed to deliver. It will not damage the tire itself but it may
not wear properly.

Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,

Mike

Michelin North America
Consumer Relations
About what I expected. It's funny that they're UK site site says you can run direectional tires backwards in order to fix certain wear problems. Regardless, he basically reiterated what I've been saying all along, certain traction/handling situations (ie rain/slush) driving may be impaired by running the tires backwards. In terms of dry handling, there is absolutely no difference, at least with my Avons. I've thrown the car into some pretty rough manuvers just to see if it was going to exhibit any odd at the limit handling behaviors. I can't comment on the others that are running different brand tires backwards.

It's good to see that even they admit that the tire will not be damaged. So many think that running a directional backwards will some how result in a blow out, ply separation, or some other serious issue.

Finally, if you're going to do this, make sure that your tires are only directional and not asymetrical directional. There is a difference. An asymetrical tire has varying tread designs and rubber compounds across the face of the tire. A standard directional tire does not.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Regardless, he basically reiterated what I've been saying all along, certain traction/handling situations (ie rain/slush) driving may be impaired by running the tires backwards. In terms of dry handling, there is absolutely no difference, at least with my Avons. I've thrown the car into some pretty rough manuvers just to see if it was going to exhibit any odd at the limit handling behaviors.
Dave, I don't mean to nitpick, but I have a problem with that statement. While I certainly believe that you haven't noticed any differences, I find it hard to believe that you'd be able to pull any maneuvers on public roads that would be extreme enough to allow the differences to be noticeable. In fact, I don't think you'd notice the difference until you did something like autocrossing. Of course, that's just my opinion.

On the other hand, that means that for everyday driving and possibly even some less exaggerated emergency maneuvers, that reversing the direction of those avons has no impact on everyday driving.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Premier Member

Isn't the actual belt on the tire made to go one way and going the other direction for a prolong period would cause that belt to get weak? Just a thought.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Red Card Crew

Reading is good

It will not damage the tire itself
Isn't the actual belt on the tire made to go one way and going the other direction for a prolong period would cause that belt to get weak? Just a thought.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Reading is good
LOL

Old 08-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
About what I expected. It's funny that they're UK site site says you can run direectional tires backwards in order to fix certain wear problems. Regardless, he basically reiterated what I've been saying all along, certain traction/handling situations (ie rain/slush) driving may be impaired by running the tires backwards. In terms of dry handling, there is absolutely no difference, at least with my Avons. I've thrown the car into some pretty rough manuvers just to see if it was going to exhibit any odd at the limit handling behaviors. I can't comment on the others that are running different brand tires backwards.

It's good to see that even they admit that the tire will not be damaged. Somany think that running a directional backwards will some how result in a blow out, ply separation, or some other serious issue.

Finally, if you're going to do this, make sure that your tires are only directional and not asymetrical directional. There is a difference. An asymetrical tire has varying tread designs and rubber compounds across the face of the tire. A standard directional tire does not.
While I don't have an issue with your carefully calculated short term remedy to improve the tire roar I don't agree with this:

Regardless, he basically reiterated what I've been saying all along, certain traction/handling situations (ie rain/slush) driving may be impaired by running the tires backwards.

That's not what was said but how you are interpreting it, to support your original statement. Once again he said:

tire was designed to deliver
. It will not damage the tire itself but it may
not wear properly.

Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,
Mike

Michelin North America
Consumer Relations

He is saying it will diminish the handling and handing capabilities the tire is designed for. No mention of only certain handling or traction conditions as you're purporting. IMHO, that is a difference and it applies to all conditions the tire would be subjected to.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Dave, I don't mean to nitpick, but I have a problem with that statement. While I certainly believe that you haven't noticed any differences, I find it hard to believe that you'd be able to pull any maneuvers on public roads that would be extreme enough to allow the differences to be noticeable. In fact, I don't think you'd notice the difference until you did something like autocrossing. Of course, that's just my opinion.

On the other hand, that means that for everyday driving and possibly even some less exaggerated emergency maneuvers, that reversing the direction of those avons has no impact on everyday driving.
I'll try to set the record straight here. The manuvers have been done both on the street and in a very large open lot that I frequent that allows to handling tests, tail-out manuvers, test launch techniques, braking, etc. I can safely attain 50mph within the lot which is new, smooth, and free of obstacles. The reversed tires behave the same way as before. The tires make the same noises, exhibit the same mphs though portions of my so called course, and the tires break loose smoothly just as before. Nothing feels different. On the street, the cars has attains the same mphs when running through a particular clover leaf junction near my house.

The only negative thing I've noticed is a very slight increase in what I call graininess which is felt through the steering wheel. The graininess can probably be attributed to either the feathered edges running backwards and/or simply because the tread is running backwards.

Grip in dry and wet (not standing water) conditions is largely dictated by the rubber compound used and the amount of rubber that meets the road, not the tread design. There's a reason why race cars use slicks or shaved tires. The more a performance tire gets the worn, the better it handles, responds, and feels in the dry. Additionaly, the more the tire gets worn, the worse it handles in inclement weather.

Last edited by DaveB; 08-10-2007 at 12:30 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fixed my roaring (feathering) tire issue on my sedan, run the tires backwards