G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

They're voiding my powertrain warranty - help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call up Darrin at Marietta Infiniti (Nalley), he's a Service Advisor and is really cool to deal with. I've worked with him on several issues and he's always gone out of his way to help.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Infiniti's 800 Consumer Affairs number is useless. I just got off the phone with them regarding my engine oil consumption. I am filing a claim with the BBB. If you do not reach a timely resolve, you might opt to take the BBB route, as well. Good luck!

Old 09-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What i did was speak to the service manager and pretty much let him know what was going on and that i was going to be calling Consumer Affairs. Once i called consumer affairs i told them the exact same thing, and pretty much told them that i was not paying for the new radiator and that i would not be paying for the loaner they gave me. My rep that was handling my issue told me to keep the loaner and that he would take care of it..and the rest you already know.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:56 PM
will the bbb really step in and help us out with the problem?

Old 09-27-2007, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by GeeDM
What i did was speak to the service manager and pretty much let him know what was going on and that i was going to be calling Consumer Affairs. Once i called consumer affairs i told them the exact same thing, and pretty much told them that i was not paying for the new radiator and that i would not be paying for the loaner they gave me. My rep that was handling my issue told me to keep the loaner and that he would take care of it..and the rest you already know.
They refused to give me any sort of loaner until after they'd determined that my warranty covered the repairs. So I've been stuck at home for the last two weeks. Hopefully if I keep calling I'll find someone as helpful as you did at the 800 number.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Infinite_636
will the bbb really step in and help us out with the problem?
IMO, not really. To me the BBB relies on companies trying to make things right on their own - and the only teeth they have is the fact that others can see negative reports that you file. If the company in question doesn't care much, then nothing will happen and the BBB will just tell you your report is on file for others to see. I have had mixed results; sometimes the company took care of the situation completely, other times they did nothing. You won't know until you try.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by M5LOL
Call up Darrin at Marietta Infiniti (Nalley), he's a Service Advisor and is really cool to deal with. I've worked with him on several issues and he's always gone out of his way to help.
Yes, call the guys in Marietta. I've heard great things about them when I lived in Atlanta and Roswell Infiniti was suppose to be one the worst to deal with which sucked since I lived in Alpharetta at the time.

Make sure they're getting a fluid level the correct way too. The correct method is:

1) Warm up fluid to operating temp (about 5 to 10 minutes urban driving)
2) Cycle thru the gear box while stopped
3) Place in park
4) With the engine still running, remove the dipstick, and clean off
5) Turn the dipstick 180 degrees and reinsert
6) Remove dipstick and take a reading

If you don't do this procedure, it is quite possible that the tranny will show that it's overfilled. If the engine isn't running when the level is taken, the dipstick will show that the tranny is way overfilled.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Yes, call the guys in Marietta. I've heard great things about them when I lived in Atlanta and Roswell Infiniti was suppose to be one the worst to deal with which sucked since I lived in Alpharetta at the time.

Make sure they're getting a fluid level the correct way too. The correct method is:

1) Warm up fluid to operating temp (about 5 to 10 minutes urban driving)
2) Cycle thru the gear box while stopped
3) Place in park
4) With the engine still running, remove the dipstick, and clean off
5) Turn the dipstick 180 degrees and reinsert
6) Remove dipstick and take a reading

If you don't do this procedure, it is quite possible that the tranny will show that it's overfilled. If the engine isn't running when the level is taken, the dipstick will show that the tranny is way overfilled.
Having spoken to the service manager, I'm pretty sure they didn't do this. He said it was about a quart over-full, and I asked how he checked. He said "we have ways of checking", and continued on. I interrupted him and again asked how they actually checked it - whether they turned on the car, etc. (it had been towed there, so hadn't been on), and he gave me a speech about how he'd been in the business for thirty-something years and they were one of the first Infiniti dealerships and they know how to check transmission fluid.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:20 PM
wow, that sucks. i always thought the consumer affairs would be more usefull than that. the lecture the guy gave you is useless. what a d!ck for being so condescending. i would have called him out on that statement because he clearly has nothing to back it up. i guess that's useless now.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:27 PM
sorry you have to go thru all this, but seriously, just take your business elsewhere.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Well if they claim it's overfilled, that's good right? Considering you are currently claiming you never touched it and it was only touched by the other dealer?

Old 09-27-2007, 01:32 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by JMar99
My transmission won't shift higher than third gear, so I took it to the Infiniti dealership. It's under 6 years old and only has a little under 50,000 miles and should be covered by the powertrain warranty. However, the dealership is telling me that my car has "too much transmission fluid", which indicates that someone put more in. They say it's leaking fluid, so that I need a new front seal (or something like that) which will run me $1500. They also say that maybe having too much fluid is what broke the transmission (which sounds pretty farfetched to me). Furthermore, they're saying that if I need a new transmission, the warranty is voided because there are "signs of tampering," e.g., scratches on the transmission (which he says look fresh, though I don't know how one could distinguish between old and new scratches), the excess fluid, and I'm not sure what else. They say that if they fixed it and tried to get this under warranty, it would be kicked back at them and they'd have to pay for it themselves. They infer that I'm holding out on them, that I've actually had work done that I'm not telling them about.

Facts: I have never had any repairs except for at Infiniti dealerships, with the exception of a handful of oil changes and a friend changing my brake pads a year ago. My most recent work was the 45,000 mile checkup at a different dealership. I bought the car used, but that was in January of 2006. I have done nothing wrong, and it really sounds like they're going the extra mile to keep from covering me under the warranty.

I don't know what to do except continue going up the chain of command and telling my story. But if each higher-up hears that it "looks like it's been tampered with", I don't know how I'll get around it. Any advice would be very welcome.

Call them or go there and request a list of service they perform when they do 45k service.
I'm pretty sure it includes replacement of Coolant, Transmission fluid, brake fluid.
If that is the case. Get a written report from the dealership saying that trany contained too much fluid and leaking.
If other dealership denies doing anything to the transmission ask them why didn't they do it when they were required to do it when they did 45k service.

Don't let them boss you around. Let them know you mean business. You are not trying to scam anyone so there is no reason why you should be scammed also.

Good luck.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by JOKER
Call them or go there and request a list of service they perform when they do 45k service.
I'm pretty sure it includes replacement of Coolant, Transmission fluid, brake fluid.
If that is the case. Get a written report from the dealership saying that trany contained too much fluid and leaking.
If other dealership denies doing anything to the transmission ask them why didn't they do it when they were required to do it when they did 45k service.

Don't let them boss you around. Let them know you mean business. You are not trying to scam anyone so there is no reason why you should be scammed also.

Good luck.
I have my 45K receipt, and it says they checked the fluid level and condition. But it doesn't say that they actually added transmission fluid (though apparently it's not uncommon for a mechanic to just go ahead and add some if it's low). So yes, all signs point to them (a different dealership) having put the fluid in.

However, I originally took my car to an Aamco to get the computer code scanned (which is free, to avoid paying the $100+ diagnostic fee from Infiniti). Aamco said they tried to scan it but that the code wouldn't come up on their scanner. So Infiniti guy says "well how do we know they didn't put transmission fluid in." I told him that I couldn't say for 100% sure that they didn't, much like I couldn't say they didn't put a banana in my tailpipe. I also couldn't say for 100% sure that someone walking down the street didn't decide to put transmission fluid in my car. Aamco obviously didn't do it, but this guy won't accept that.

Now they're fixing one thing for free (the body valve) because that's what the computer code said was broken. But a non-Infiniti mechanic explained to me that 99.9% of the time that's because something else is broken and dropping bits of metal into the body valve. So now I'm waiting for them to fix it and call me back. Of course it won't solve anything since they say the front pump seal is leaking...

I won't be giving these people a dime beyond the diagnostic fee. But it's going to be a real pain driving to another dealership (Nalley) in second gear, if it will run at all, and if it will make it all the way. And if it really does have too much transmission fluid, I might have the same problem. If I had any idea how, I would be tempted to drain some of the transmission fluid before going to another dealership; but then I'm sure they would tell me there wasn't enough fluid anyway.

Last edited by JMar99; 09-27-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Ummm not to be the logical one but instead of replacing the VB, why not take some fluid out and see how it runs?

Old 09-27-2007, 02:14 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
you should have not told them about the Aamco.

But anyway. Show them the receipt from Aamco that does not show any tranny involvement at all.
Ask the dealership if they put any fluid in there to void the warranty on purpose.
They playing dumb with you.........you do the same.

Present all the facts to them.

Show them a receipt from the other dealership that shows they did 45k service in which trany check was included.
Show them a receipt from Aamco that shows that NO TRANNY SERVICE WAS DONE
Present them with the fact that if you would have to take a car over to other dealership and get a tow truck they would have to pay for it cuz it's INFINITI warranty issue and should be handled at any location. Otherwise if you drive it you can fry the transmission (hight RPM high temp)
Tell them that you don't want it to get to lawyers but it will if it's necessary to get this problem resolved.

If they refuse ask them to give you a letter where they explain the reasons why they refuse to cover it and facts that they base their decision on.

Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: They're voiding my powertrain warranty - help!