G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Weight reduction (need help)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weight reduction (need help)

So I have a completely bone stock 03.5 sedan and I wanted to do some weight reduction.
I was looking to strip the trunk, remove the back seat and im not sure what else.
Anyone have any tips?
Any links to a DIY to remove the rear seat? I looked in the 'FAQ & DIY' section and could not find anything about weight reduction.

Im trying to keep the car comfortable which would mean keeping radio, heat/AC, front 2 seats, carpet and headliner.

Anything would be great.

Thanks

Old 11-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by filanj
Why do you want to strip the thing if you don't have any mods done to the car? At least get some mods done before you start installing the roll cage, otherwise it is completely pointless and you've stripped out your car for nothing.
Personal preference.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here is a diy for repairing the rattle from the rear deck.
rear deck removal
you can obviously use to go the whole distance. the rear bench seat weighs nothing and serves more of a buffer from road and fuel pump noise. stripping the car while remaining comfortable makes complete sense to me. i have stripped most of my trunk and typically go without the spare while in town. if you dont need the rear, i would take the back portion and the bracing behind it but leave the beach. that would just be my opinion.
i have a few links i can post up on monday that gives good ballpark figures of stock components versus aftermarket or even just removing them.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Pull the spare tire, jack trunk liners to start. The back seat is not that heavy and will make your car a lot louder.

If you want to remove it just pull the two tabs on the bottom and lift off the base. The back comes off with a few 14mm bolts.

A big weight savings would be to get a set of racing seats. The oem seats are very heavy with the airbags and all power. Also a set of light 17" wheels would help.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Would you suggest getting 350Z seats?
I would try to get leather without airbags and manual features.
By louder, do you mean more road noise or something else?
Do you have any ideas of lightweight 17" or 18" rims that are reasonably priced?
The main reason that I would like to remove the rear seat is that I really hate people sitting in my rear seats, they always track in alot of dirt and leave empty soda bottles and other garbage on the floor. And the first time I let someone smoke in my back seat, they burned the headliner, that got me super pissed.
Please also do post up that link of stock vs aftermarket components.
Thanks alot!

Old 11-03-2007, 06:12 PM
not sure on the seats. by more noise, I mean more tire noise, more exhaust noise and you can hear fuel pump whine, even more so if you have a walbro. i picked up some OZ cronos from tirerack when they were on special. not sure if they still are on sale but weight and price were a big consideration for me. they were 279 a piece in 18X8 and weighed in just under 19lbs a piece. my oem 18X7.5 were around 24 lbs iirc.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:09 PM
I wouldnt mind about the exaust or tires, but the fuel pump, thats a different story.
I cant hear the tires at all right now, but I'm running the stock 17" rims with 225/45/17 tires.

Any feedback on the seats? Im looking for black leather with manual controls and no airbags, if thats even possible.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by fsasO6
I wouldnt mind about the exaust or tires, but the fuel pump, thats a different story.
I cant hear the tires at all right now, but I'm running the stock 17" rims with 225/45/17 tires.

Any feedback on the seats? Im looking for black leather with manual controls and no airbags, if thats even possible.
you might not even hear the stock fuel pump whine or be as sensitive to it. the rear bench should take less than 10 seconds to remove so at least you can find out quickly and easily. the tire noise and hearing every little rock hit the inside of the wheel well was the deal breaker for me. the 17s shouldnt be very heavy but i am sure you can find that weighs less and doesnt cost a fortune.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Bro, you know I know how to remove anything in the car, after dynamatting the whole thing! No point for weight reduction, plus it'll look really ugly. Just keep a look out for the 350z leather seats and some light 18's

Old 11-04-2007, 12:22 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Only weight reduction I would worry about at this point is wheels/tires & brakes. They have the most impact on performance.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:35 AM
You can lose an easy 30 pounds by swapping to a coupe mid pipe. OEM 03-04 mid pipes are heavy pigs. The coupe midpipe can be lifted with 2 fingers.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:41 AM
if you got friends burning holes in your seats and leaving trash, I would suggest getting new friend too. just a thought.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Staff ALUMNI
^^^ wow...

looks like a mod and weight reduction done all at once... +1 on that..

Old 11-04-2007, 02:13 AM
I just replaced my stock mid-pipe with one from a coupe and couldn't believe how much lighter the coupe one was. Plus the deeper and a little bit louder exhaust sound is an added bonus.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:39 AM
Originally Posted by DieselX
Bro, you know I know how to remove anything in the car, after dynamatting the whole thing! No point for weight reduction, plus it'll look really ugly. Just keep a look out for the 350z leather seats and some light 18's
What about stripping the trunk?
Do you think you could help me do the seats when I pick them up?

Does anyone have any ideas for rims?
My budget is kinda low since I am a full-time college student and also have to make payments for my car, so the less expensive, the better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weight reduction (need help)