G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

4x4 service on AWD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
he made a post somewhere on it. I dont recall off the topic of my head but it was a break down of a 30k or something. It wasn't too long about maybe 1-2 months since he posted it. I'll link it here if i can find it again.
Is it this thread? https://g35driver.com/forums/general...luids-use.html

Old 01-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
yep there you go... i guess it was a 60k ... lol

that should cover 90% of what is need and how much

Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djb703
What fluid do you put in the front and rear diffs.

My other car takes special VTM fluid, but i think i read the Infiniti just uses normal ATF and not gear oil?

Is this true for both Front and Rear diff? Transfer would then be gear oil?

What weights and brand/type do you guys use, since i guess infiniti dosn't force one on you.

It is the exact opposite actually. The front/rear diff's use gear oil (75W90 or 80W90) and the transfer case uses ATF (Matic D, or any dexron III/VI equivalent). Check the thread referenced earlier about the 60k maintenance for my personal recommendations (not that anyone has to follow that )

Old 01-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
yep there you go... i guess it was a 60k ... lol

that should cover 90% of what is need and how much
Great. Thanks!

Old 01-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
You da man! So it's right in the front. Didn't notice the last time I did oil change.

You wouldn't have pics for transfer and at/t drain would you?
Unfortunately, no. They were so easy to find that I didn't think to take pics of them. I'm sure this doesn't help but the transfer case was a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be.... kind of reminded me of an alternator.

On top of that, I assumed everyone knew what a transmission pan looked like. I'm sure once you get under there, you'll find them pretty easily.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
When should this service be performed?? 60K?

I'm at 29K now, and trying to make my list of maintainence to perform in the spring when it warms up

Old 01-14-2009, 06:27 PM
this can really be done at any mileage.

I think front and rears are recommended at 30k.

brake fluid and coolant is normally every 2 years. but these are all numbers that are going to be diffrent. I'm going to be doing it everyday 30k well i'll have about 35k when summer comes around.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Unherd
Unfortunately, no. They were so easy to find that I didn't think to take pics of them. I'm sure this doesn't help but the transfer case was a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be.... kind of reminded me of an alternator.

On top of that, I assumed everyone knew what a transmission pan looked like. I'm sure once you get under there, you'll find them pretty easily.
Great. Thanks!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Is the Xfer case recommended at 30K as well??

I think now that it's warm out, i am going to give my car the AWD service and a trans drain and fill.

So, how much of a PITA is it to do the xfer case and trans? I know draining is no prob, but what about fill? What sort of pumps are you guys using to refill the fluids?

Old 04-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5

I think now that it's warm out, i am going to give my car the AWD service and a trans drain and fill.

So, how much of a PITA is it to do the xfer case and trans? I know draining is no prob, but what about fill? What sort of pumps are you guys using to refill the fluids?
I plan to do the transfer case drain/refill once the weather warms up. For that, I bought myself a siphon pump. As for the ATF, I had that done last week. No need to use pump. Just need a funnel with a long neck. It drained out exactly 4 quarts.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A simple hand/siphon pump will work fine for the transfer case. I have the dealer do the tranny using an actual flushing machine. Others have done drain and refills. Drain and refills only remove about 50% of the fluid each time you do it, but its certainly better than nothing.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Well, i want to get on a schedule for draining and refilling the tranny once in the fall, and once in the spring. So ifi get 50% now, 50% in the fall, and then do it again next year, i think i can make a positive result in terms of preventative maintainence.

I already found the S(J)-matic fluid on www.mynismo.com. You think i should get 5 quarts just in case i go a little over 4?

As for the diffs and Xfer case, i'll pick up Redline fluids and use them for added protection.

I also found at 35K miles, my front pads are only 1mm thick! So i ordered up OEM rotors and pads for the front. Add in the cabin filter, an oil change and a new air filter and i think that's a decent chunk of routine maintainence done. I should prob toss a coolant flush in too as well before the summer.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Well, i want to get on a schedule for draining and refilling the tranny once in the fall, and once in the spring. So ifi get 50% now, 50% in the fall, and then do it again next year, i think i can make a positive result in terms of preventative maintainence.

I already found the S(J)-matic fluid on www.mynismo.com. You think i should get 5 quarts just in case i go a little over 4?

As for the diffs and Xfer case, i'll pick up Redline fluids and use them for added protection.

I also found at 35K miles, my front pads are only 1mm thick! So i ordered up OEM rotors and pads for the front. Add in the cabin filter, an oil change and a new air filter and i think that's a decent chunk of routine maintainence done. I should prob toss a coolant flush in too as well before the summer.
When I did the ATF fluid, it was exactly 4 qts (I bought 5 qts just in case). I plan to do another ATF drain in about 2 months. If your drain is 4 qts like mines, it's actually 36.7% of the fluids. Total fluids in the car is 10 7/8 qts. So two drains should get you about 2/3 new fluids. Once that's done then I'll probably do it in another 2 yrs.

My front pads were gone before 20k miles I think. The rears still have a bit at 30k now.

As for the differnetials, I plan to get Mobile 1 75w/90 and for the transfer would be Matic D.

I got the Matic J at the dealers. Mynismo is cheaper though.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
When I did the ATF fluid, it was exactly 4 qts (I bought 5 qts just in case). I plan to do another ATF drain in about 2 months. If your drain is 4 qts like mines, it's actually 36.7% of the fluids. Total fluids in the car is 10 7/8 qts. So two drains should get you about 2/3 new fluids. Once that's done then I'll probably do it in another 2 yrs.
thats not exactly how the numbers work. if the system is 11qts and you drained out 4qt, put in 4 new qts yea thats like 36.7% or whatever, when you go do another 4, your also draining some new fluids as well, so its not like 2/3 new its more like 1/2 or so.

its still better thing nothing. like most say only way to get most of it out is with a machine flush because its pressurized and i think most require the car running.

if you do it the method in the DIY video's i would say 2 flushes the way he did it would be close to completely new, but it will require like 20qts.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:47 PM
I would think if i drained and filled regularly, it should be good enough.

Most people go 60K without even touching it. If i do a drain and fill every spring and fall, that should have me replacing 4 quarts every 7K miles or so. Right now i'm at 35K, so i should still have good fluid right now. Hopefully i can bang it out before 36K

As for the 4WD flushes, if i use synthetics, i should be good to 60K no?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 4x4 service on AWD