G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 not designed for the snow!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 617G
a RWD car isn't designed for snow???? Really???
Living in Texas and Las Vegas my whole life, I wouldn't know!

Luckily I am taking my first road trip in the G down to Texas Sunday morning!

Old 12-14-2007, 09:22 AM
It won't cost $800 for snow tires- I'm about to order the blizzaks from tirerack.com for $93 each and mount them on the stock 17's permanently. It's been interesting driving the past two days, a little too interesting...

Old 12-14-2007, 10:29 AM
I was thinking just the opposite this morning. Up here in CT we got hit with our first major storm of the winter, dumped about 11 inches on us last night. I live in a condo complex so I besides for the 11 inches of snow I was also plowed in. Is this a problem for my G? I think not. Warmed her up, brushed her off, then hopped in a pulled right out of the spot, no rocking etc. needed...living in CO you shoulda gone for the X

AWD for the win!!!!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain
After getting two feet of snow here in Northern Colorado, I've learned that the G35 was not designed to drive in it! Holy crap! I will say that the traction control is designed incredibly well! It has saved me multiple times from sliding off the road, except for once but no damage was done.

It would probably help if I had snow specific tires, but I can't see spending $800 to drive in it a couple times a year. It would probably be better if I had 4 wheel drive, but not much.

I got stuck in the parking lot at church on Sunday! The traction control wouldn't allow the wheels to spin so I just sat there. I was able to play with it a little bit and finally got going.

After saying this, the G35 isn't near as bad as the 350Z! Some poor guy in my condo complex has one! Poor guy was snowed in for two days!
A dedicated winter tire is the only way to go. Its not just for the snow but for the cold weather as well. The rubber compound will remain soft in the cold weather whereas a "all season" tire will become hard.
Also, your stopping distance will be shorter in the winter time when using winter tires.

Its well worth the $800. You are driving a $40K vehicle. Why not fork out the $$$ and have some peace of mind.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain
After getting two feet of snow here in Northern Colorado, I've learned that the G35 was not designed to drive in it! Holy crap! I will say that the traction control is designed incredibly well! It has saved me multiple times from sliding off the road, except for once but no damage was done.

It would probably help if I had snow specific tires, but I can't see spending $800 to drive in it a couple times a year. It would probably be better if I had 4 wheel drive, but not much.

I got stuck in the parking lot at church on Sunday! The traction control wouldn't allow the wheels to spin so I just sat there. I was able to play with it a little bit and finally got going.

After saying this, the G35 isn't near as bad as the 350Z! Some poor guy in my condo complex has one! Poor guy was snowed in for two days!
GET WINTER TIRES, I did this year and am amazed at how great the car drives in snow. This year I got 4 new no name snow tires for $520 including taxes. Money well spent IMO

Last winter running on all season Turanzas was a PITA. I got stuck a few times and needed a push, and it always felt like I was going to lose control.

Also we got 2-3 feet of snow in the last 2 weeks, Its almost fun driving in the snow/slush/ice now.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jedunnigan
Just one of those days I'm glad to have an x.
I am glad to have an X every single day.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by ctG35ej
I was thinking just the opposite this morning. Up here in CT we got hit with our first major storm of the winter, dumped about 11 inches on us last night. I live in a condo complex so I besides for the 11 inches of snow I was also plowed in. Is this a problem for my G? I think not. Warmed her up, brushed her off, then hopped in a pulled right out of the spot, no rocking etc. needed...living in CO you shoulda gone for the X

AWD for the win!!!!!!
Yea, I was presently surprised with my G in that little storm we had. I was out all day and didn't have a problem.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Snow tires makes so much difference on G-Sedan. AWD is cool, but I wanted a 6MT and AWD didn't come with that...

6MT + Snow Tires = FTW

Old 12-14-2007, 10:40 PM
AWD is the only way to go. I have been through my first 1' snowstorm with this car and the G35x with all season tires is much better than the 4wd suv and truck I've had in the past. Snow tires aren't that great because when there isn't any snow, you have to take it easy or burn up all that expensive soft rubber. I learned that with my Grand Prix GTP.

Actually, with awd, accelerating(smoothly) through the curve is the best way to maintain traction and steering control.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by jdm4eva
Snow tires makes so much difference on G-Sedan. AWD is cool, but I wanted a 6MT and AWD didn't come with that...

6MT + Snow Tires = FTW
5AT + Snow Tires = FTW over here

Old 12-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by G35xBlackawd04
AWD is the only way to go. I have been through my first 1' snowstorm with this car and the G35x with all season tires is much better than the 4wd suv and truck I've had in the past. Snow tires aren't that great because when there isn't any snow, you have to take it easy or burn up all that expensive soft rubber. I learned that with my Grand Prix GTP.

Actually, with awd, accelerating(smoothly) through the curve is the best way to maintain traction and steering control.
Snow tires rock !!!! You do not even know the full potential of your X until you get them. A RWD with snows can stop in a much shorter distance than you with your crappy All Seasons in the snow.

Last edited by GEE35FX; 12-14-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 35bills
A dedicated winter tire is the only way to go. Its not just for the snow but for the cold weather as well. The rubber compound will remain soft in the cold weather whereas a "all season" tire will become hard.
Also, your stopping distance will be shorter in the winter time when using winter tires.

Its well worth the $800. You are driving a $40K vehicle. Why not fork out the $$$ and have some peace of mind.
+1, Very well said Bill

Old 12-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03silver
5AT + Snow Tires = FTW over here
same here...havent had any problems

Old 12-15-2007, 12:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Put some sand bags in your trunk, you will be surprise how much it help. I drove my car last blizzard in Colorado.

You just need to practice how to drive RWD car in the snow, sometimes you need to turn off the traction control.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:24 AM
those of you in areas with 2ft of snow or 11" of snow, let's be realistic now. That's total snow fall. You're not driving in 2ft of snow or 11" of snow. Any snow fall significantly over the G's ground clearance of 5-6" you're going to be stuck whether you have AWD, FWD, or RWD. When you're bottoming out on snow and your tires are suspended, you're not moving anywhere.

You can factor in the weight of the car and snow compaction to get a few inches above ground clearance, but beyond that, unless you have a hovercraft you're going to be screwed.

Not that I doubt AWD in the snow. I have a RWD myself and have no problems in the snow, but I find it amusing when people with AWD somehow think they can magically beat the laws of physics and friction when in reality, you aren't driving in snow as deep as the total snow fall.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 not designed for the snow!