G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Quick Manual Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Manual Question

Hey guys, I don't know much about driving stick and I gotta simple question, it might sound dumb. If I'm on the turnpike on 6th gear and I get off at my exit and want to come to a complete stop, what would i do in terms of downshifting and using the clutch? Thanks a lot guys.

Old 02-19-2003, 04:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Quick Manual Question

Quick Manual Answer:

Generally you just depress the clutch and hold it down, brake to a stop, then stick the shifter in first before going again.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 02-19-2003, 04:14 PM

If I know that I am going to stop, I pop it in neutral and roll to a stop... then put it in first.

Old 02-19-2003, 04:19 PM

If you want to downshift...depending on how fast you're going...downshift to fourth for a couple seconds while lightly using the breaks, then third, then second when you're almost at a complete stop...then obviously the brakes till you get a complete stop. Once you get used to this, you'll know which gears you downshift into at what speeds...just enough to slow down the car, but not too high to where you wear the engine too much...downshifting like this saves your brakes...some argue that it screws up the transmission/clutch...but once you get used to it and do it routinely and correctly...you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 02-19-2003, 05:12 PM

Depending on how fast you are going and how soon till you stop. Just down shift accordingly, keeping the rpm at about 2-3k and let engine do the braking in combination with the brakes. Don't think it is a good idea to coast in 6th to stop, because 1. more work and wear on your brakes 2. in the event that you do need to pick up speed and maneuver, you are not stuck in 6th with no power and possibly stall...

Old 02-19-2003, 07:36 PM

So you can just hold down the clutch while downshifting right? You wait a couple of seconds and keep on downshifting? You shouldn't touch the accelerator right? Thanks a lot guys, I'm learning manual over the computer :-).

Old 02-19-2003, 10:39 PM

No No No No

If you hold the clutch in the whole time your downshifting, then your not accomplishing anything.

Here's an example.

You crusing the highway in 6th gear, and you see ahead that cars are coming to a stop, so you start lightly applying the brakes, as your speed starts to do go down, you push in on the clutch and shift into 5th and let the clutch out (usally you will let the clutch out slower while downshiting then you would if you were accelerating) then when your speed drops some more to the same thing for 4th gear and the rest of the gears. while your doing this you can still be lightly applying the brakes. When you get enough practice you will be able to do this without even thinking about what your doing, it will come natural.

Also if you cruising in 6th and your rpms drop enough you can down shift into 4th instead of 5th.

The advantage of downshifting is that you will save your brakes and you will be able to accelerate when you need to, for example, your in the slow lane and the cars are slowing down in that lane, and you start down shifting, if you notice the lane next to you is moving faster, you can just push on the accelerater and change lanes real fast. If on the other hand you just push your clutch in (or put it in neutral) and apply the brakes and want to switch lanes, you have to guess what gear to go into in order to get max. accleration, if you choose to high of a gear you will have no power, choose to low and your car will violently jerk forward (which is not good for the engine or tranny).

Old 02-19-2003, 11:44 PM

It depends on how fast to you want to stop but in general, for a leisury stop just step on the brake (don't do any shifting yet), and as the car slows down (before it starts stalling), step on the clutch and either put it in neutral to come to a complete stop, or downshift to 2'nd or 3'rd if you want to use some engine brake to slow you down faster (you still have to engage the clutch and put it neutral as the car comes to a complete stop). Remember, this is my subjective take on this and I haven't driven stick for quite some time.