G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Man.... I'm tired

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Sounds like a fun day to me!

My next project day will see new Nismo 50mm wheel studs, SPC front arms, Axle clicking TSB, and a lot of general clean-up.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah try putting on a set of headers (that's a bitch ) . the suspension is not a hard , I did mine Dspecs and 350z springs in about 1hr also on jack stands and hand tools.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Yeah, the back springs took about 10 minutes, the fronts were a bitch. Had to take the lower control arm loose because the shocks wouldn't clear. Then use a hand op spring compressor to remove the springs and replace them with the new ones.

The front sway bar wasn't bad, for the back, I had to disconnect the rear muffler section.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Yeah, the back springs took about 10 minutes, the fronts were a bitch. Had to take the lower control arm loose because the shocks wouldn't clear. Then use a hand op spring compressor to remove the springs and replace them with the new ones.

The front sway bar wasn't bad, for the back, I had to disconnect the rear muffler section.
surprisingly you can remove/install the front struts without dropping the lower control arm. i've had to do this twice already and if you tilt the strut at the right angle it will come out.

using a 350z shock is easier. its about 1/2 inch shorter than the g35 shocks and it goes in perfectly.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by black_sedan
surprisingly you can remove/install the front struts without dropping the lower control arm. i've had to do this twice already and if you tilt the strut at the right angle it will come out.

using a 350z shock is easier. its about 1/2 inch shorter than the g35 shocks and it goes in perfectly.
Were the ones you changed "sport" shocks? I wiggled every thing I could and that damn lower bracket just would not clear.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Were the ones you changed "sport" shocks? I wiggled every thing I could and that damn lower bracket just would not clear.
i have a non-sport suspension g35. it was a little tricky. i used a pry bar to press down on the lower suspension and tilted it out towards the front bumper and then i would slide the strut out the bottom.

i know what you mean, i was cussing the first time. it seemed like i only needed a 1/4" more room and it would drop right out. i installed the 350z shocks and springs so putting them in was a breeze.

how does it handle with the sways?

Old 01-02-2008, 11:08 PM

how does it handle with the sways?
Don't have a clue....

I haven't been able to drive it since I did it!! And my wife just took it to San Antonio for the 60K service today so I won't get to drive it until Friday or Saturday when she gets back. I called her this evening and she said it rides a bit rougher but other wise was fine. I just want to get some time to try it out and get the setting right be for the Raging Bull Texas Stampede on the 25th.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Good job.

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one taking advantage of the New Year's day off by working on my sedan's suspension. I changed out the springs
(temporarily 350Z S-Techs because the so called 350z springs arent), installed D-Spec shocks, installed SPC front and rear camber arms, and SPC toe bolts.

These new mods are in conjunction with the installation of Cobb Tuning sway bars last weekend and a Brembo brake swap the weekend before.

When removing the front shocks, I find it to be much easier to disconnect the front sway bar from the lower control arm. It only takes a few minutes.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Gilley
Good job.

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one taking advantage of the New Year's day off by working on my sedan's suspension. I changed out the springs
(temporarily 350Z S-Techs because the so called 350z springs arent), installed D-Spec shocks, installed SPC front and rear camber arms, and SPC toe bolts.

These new mods are in conjunction with the installation of Cobb Tuning sway bars last weekend and a Brembo brake swap the weekend before.

When removing the front shocks, I find it to be much easier to disconnect the front sway bar from the lower control arm. It only takes a few minutes.
I already had my sway bar out as I was going to change it, I just couldn't get that last 1/2" of clearance to get the shocks out.

Question:

I have read here that you don't need to install camber kits if you only drop an inch or less, is that true? I can't see an obvious negative camber problem. I think the unrevised 350Z springs give you right at 1" of drop.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:53 PM
I already had my sway bar out as I was going to change it, I just couldn't get that last 1/2" of clearance to get the shocks out.

Question:

I have read here that you don't need to install camber kits if you only drop an inch or less, is that true? I can't see an obvious negative camber problem. I think the unrevised 350Z springs give you right at 1" of drop.
i have the unrevised setup as well. i dont think that you'll need the camber kit, but i would have it aligned to make sure everything else is in spec. i would have had mine done, but it looks like the suspension will come out again.

Originally Posted by Gilley
Good job.

If you're still looking for an unrevised set, i might have one for you soon..

Old 01-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Thanks, I plan on doing that in about a week or so, I want to let it settle a bit first.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
IMO, almost every drop requires a camber kit if you are concerned about tire wear. But it's really on a case by case basis because each car is different. Approximately -.08 camber change occurs for every inch drop.

On my sedan, I need camber kits on the stock suspension because the insides of the tires wore out prematurely. But since I got camber kits, I decided to go ahead and drop it a little bit.

If you're still looking for an unrevised set, i might have one for you soon..
Thanks, but I need a set by this weekend. The S-Techs on my car now are way too low in the rear.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with no air tools ? wow

Old 01-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Qclass
with no air tools ? wow
Bought a new air compressor today....

Old 01-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
You won't be able to see 1 degree of camber, but you will see the wear on your tires after 10K.

I'm getting old too, but I still love doing it myself!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Man.... I'm tired