G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

VDC a disadvantage in the snow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
VDC a disadvantage in the snow?

I got stuck yesterday in snow on a incline with all-season Kumho tires. I have an 03 Rwd sedan. I had some people pushing me when I would hit the gas it would slip and kill the throttle. After my car went nowhere we helped a Hemi Charger get out of the same mess I was in. I think if I would have taken the VDC off I could have stayed on the gas and did better than I did.

Before everyone yells at me.....I know I should have snow tires in Michigan. I will get then next Nov or Dec.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
yeah in those types of situations you usually want to turn VDC off. VDC is really helpful in the snow but those times it can get in the way. We just got hit with a big storm here in northern IL yesterday prob same one you got, and I had to shut my VDC off a couple times to get out of some tough snow, and I have snow tires too! They are definitely a good investment.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:26 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Time to buy an X!

Or turn VDC off... lol

Old 02-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are correct, VDC-BLAST-OFF when stuck in snow. LOL

Old 02-07-2008, 06:17 PM
VDC i mainly find helpful really when making turns in the snow (or rain i guess), preventing you from drifting unintentionally. but for straight line driving in the snow, the only advantage i see is it may increase the life of your tires cause your not spinning them that much

Old 02-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Yep winter tires help quite a bit.And I have the VDC off most of the time in snowy conditions for the very reason you stated.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea turn off VDC whenever you're stuck in the snow and on during driving. I got stuck several times today due to the huge snow storm in Canada!

Old 02-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
Time to buy an X!

Or turn VDC off... lol
You are correct too!
I had a X loaner last week when the snow storm hit, I was loving it!!!

Old 02-09-2008, 01:24 AM
I turn VDC off in fresh snow and slushy conditions. I leave it off when I take the gravel road home on the really bad days. I turn it back on when I get going the highway.

Basically, whenever I'm at a stop and it looks slippery/slushy I try to remember to turn VDC off. It's almost gotten me in to trouble a couple of times leaving it on when I've barely been able to get going after turning on to the road from a parking lot or another street.

I'm curious, is anyone not running winter tires with their RWD car? My experience so far is that winter tires are a must with these cars. I left my new all seasons on for a few weeks at the start of winter as I was only driving short distances from home to work and I had to be VERY careful.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Woblin_Goblin
I turn VDC off in fresh snow and slushy conditions. I leave it off when I take the gravel road home on the really bad days. I turn it back on when I get going the highway.

Basically, whenever I'm at a stop and it looks slippery/slushy I try to remember to turn VDC off. It's almost gotten me in to trouble a couple of times leaving it on when I've barely been able to get going after turning on to the road from a parking lot or another street.

I'm curious, is anyone not running winter tires with their RWD car? My experience so far is that winter tires are a must with these cars. I left my new all seasons on for a few weeks at the start of winter as I was only driving short distances from home to work and I had to be VERY careful.

I am running Kumho 235/50/17 all-seasons and I got stuck on a moderate incline with fresh snow/sleet. I am looking on ebay now for cheap 17" rims for my winter setup for next year. Also, I live in Michigan.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
Time to buy an X!

Or turn VDC off... lol
my vdc stay off in my x, rain or snow

Old 02-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by ImIn06GT
my vdc stay off in my x, rain or snow
Drifting in the snow is too easy with the X.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Woblin_Goblin
Yes I purchased a used set of 2003 sedan 17's off craigslist and bought a new set of blizzaks WS-50s off tirerack, i spent $600 total. Was probably the best money i spent. All-seasons dont compare to snow tires because snow tires are made with a different compound. Obviously you still have use common sense and be careful even with snow tires, but they sure help out alot.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by 03silver
Drifting in the snow is too easy with the X.
Far easier in the RWD.And way more fun.No pull from the front wheels so the car just swings....yeehaw.Heres's a pic of a first time passenger in a RWD G35 in the snow.....

[pic]....

Last edited by AgentAero04; 02-09-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by AgentAero04
Far easier in the RWD.And way more fun.No pull from the front wheels so the car just swings....yeehaw.Heres's a pic of a first time passenger in a RWD G35 in the snow.....

[pic]....
+1 nothing more fun then steering with the gas pedal with RWD

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VDC a disadvantage in the snow?