G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

VDC has a place....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MidnightG35X
VDC can certainly control the brakes. That's one of the advantages of VDC. It can brake individual wheels instead of having all 4 brake like when using the brake pedal.
But are you talking about EBC? As in the distribution when actually braking? Because what is being talked about here is the system actually applying the brakes without you touching the pedal. I've definitely never had this happen, even at the track. I'm not saying it doesn't, but I'd like to know if it can. That would be kind of scary, IMHO. It is one thing to have a malfunction and it just cuts power. Its another to have it slam on the brakes for you.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
individual brake distribution happens even when the VDC is off. Under tail braking it sometimes interferes and gives u the impression of ABS activating even though it brakes each wheel individually. I think it is very helpful feature and does balance the car very nicely even during very hard cornering. It also helps eliminate the potential understeer if u go in too fast into a corner.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
individual brake distribution happens even when the VDC is off. Under tail braking it sometimes interferes and gives u the impression of ABS activating even though it brakes each wheel individually. I think it is very helpful feature and does balance the car very nicely even during very hard cornering. It also helps eliminate the potential understeer if u go in too fast into a corner.
Trust me, it doesn't eliminate understeer. On several occassions at the autoX, I've come into a corner too hot, slammed on the brakes and turned the wheel, and the car just plows straight ahead. Of course, that's not all that surprising. I mean, no amount of electronics can overcome physics.

But, in any case, I'm still curious about the above question. Can VDC utilize the brakes without the driver touching the pedal?

Ok... just checked the Infiniti site. It does state on the new cars that if the TCS senses wheelspin, it can automatically reduce engine power and/or apply brake to the spinning wheel when accelerating. Hmmm... I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Last edited by Qbrozen; 09-18-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Qbrozen
Trust me, it doesn't eliminate understeer. On several occassions at the autoX, I've come into a corner too hot, slammed on the brakes and turned the wheel, and the car just plows straight ahead. Of course, that's not all that surprising. I mean, no amount of electronics can overcome physics.

But, in any case, I'm still curious about the above question. Can VDC utilize the brakes without the driver touching the pedal?

Ok... just checked the Infiniti site. It does state on the new cars that if the TCS senses wheelspin, it can automatically reduce engine power and/or apply brake to the spinning wheel when accelerating. Hmmm... I'm not sure how I feel about that.
I was not talking about slamming on brakes to get rid of understeer. Slamming on brakes in the corner is going to hurt u one way or the other. I was talking gently tapping the brake pedal during hard cornering to shift wieght to the front tires for better front grip. When this happends during hard cornering the car responds very nicely and that is the reason this is one of the easiest cars to drive to its potential.

To answer ur question: Yes VDC will utilize the brakes without any driver input if necessary. It has happened to me in the rain and it saved my a$$ going downhill.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:19 PM
BTW this is for RWD G35s only. I have never driven a G35X

Old 09-18-2008, 02:53 PM
That was going to be one of my questions, too. RWD vs AWD. And if any differences in their electronic nannies.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:33 PM
I was always under the impression that VDC countered wheel spin, and sliding, which is why a. it decreases power and b. it makes your car under steer like a mug when you go into a fast corner, if VDC is off then you can put more power to the wheels to counter that under steer with over steer
just my 2 cents

Old 09-19-2008, 10:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
VDC, on the X at least, can brake individual wheels without touching the brake pedal. I was not talking about EBC. To test this, find a large, empty, wet (rain or snow) parking lot. Get going to about 20-30 mph, crank the wheel to one side, tap the gas to get the rear end out without touching the brakes. You should notice that the car (with VDC on) will start to brake individual wheels (most likely the outside wheels).

Old 09-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Search the forums.

You'll notice almost everyone that has an 'at fault' accident did so with the VDC off.

VDC should always be on. @ klubbs: Eric was driving VDC on at Palomar.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
Search the forums.

You'll notice almost everyone that has an 'at fault' accident did so with the VDC off.

VDC should always be on. @ klubbs: Eric was driving VDC on at Palomar.
That is why he couldn't power out from corners as effciently as I was. My problem was going into a turn either too fast or too slow. I couldn't get used to the turns because i couldn't see them that well. U will know what im talking about @ streets of willow.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
That is why he couldn't power out from corners as effciently as I was. My problem was going into a turn either too fast or too slow. I couldn't get used to the turns because i couldn't see them that well. U will know what im talking about @ streets of willow.
Even with VDC off, his diff is open, and he'll just spin his inner wheel; his VLSD is just an open LSD now...

Gear/Clutch type ftw!

Old 09-19-2008, 05:28 PM
I need $$$$$$$$$$ !

Old 09-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I may, what group are you going to streets with? Speed Ventures? I am itching for some track time, oh and vdc would be off