Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by marty315
GT Spec Front Lower Tie Brace, Rear Lateral Arm Brace & Rear Tie Brace
Where do you get those at?

Old 03-02-2008, 02:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by QBridg3
Where do you get those at?
Plenty of places are selling them right now, including www.everythingg35.com although I'm not sure they have the best price.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:25 PM
From www.everythingg35.com:
Your Order Has Been Processed!
Your order has been successfully processed! Your products will arrive at their destination within 2-5 working days.

I went with the Stillen Sways and the GT Spec Front Lower Tie Brace. I will most likely work on the rear suspension (Rear Tie Brace, Lateral Arm Brace) a little more next time I get a little "G Spending $". Will post pics once both parts arrive and are installed. Anyone know if I need to get a realignment done with swaybars? Thanks!

And DoFu, Dave, etc...please don't turn this thread into an argument. Too many people reading and interested in it to get to that point. Thanks!

Old 03-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Hybrid_DET
Dave your wasting your breath arguing with someone that has a "stock" car.
My car looks stock enough, so I can get away with telling people it's only dropped with a muffler. And plus, I don't consider bolt-on parts like intake, headers, exhaust, let alone parts like clear corners and z-tube as real mods.

Originally Posted by marty315
And DoFu, Dave, etc...please don't turn this thread into an argument. Too many people reading and interested in it to get to that point. Thanks!
Don't worry, when he pulled out the ricer logic, I figure it's a waste of breath trying to explain the principles of handling... they can figure it out for themselves some day.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:54 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
Don't worry, when he pulled out the ricer logic, I figure it's a waste of breath trying to explain the principles of handling... they can figure it out for themselves some day.
Ricer logic about lowering a car, really......

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fuelec...4/article.html

Active ride height that lowers the vehicle at speed, which Ford employed on the Lincoln Mark VIII and which appears on Mercedes-Benz vehicles with Airmatic suspensions. According to Mercedes, "Lowering the ride height at speed results in a 3-percent improvement in drag."
You'll also improve aerodynamics by: ........

Lowering your vehicle
You can reduce your vehicle's aerodynamics by: ......
Lifting it — "an inch of increased ride height degrades the coefficient of drag by about 10 drag counts .01," says Wegryn.

This article was just one of hundreds a simple search of Google pulled up. "Ricer logic" when it comes to lowering is dropping a car well outside of the suspension's ability to work and do it's job. I could go on at great length about this, but this isn't the place. Simply put, there is a right way to lower a car and a wrong way. Please do not group me into the ricer category.

Last edited by DaveB; 03-03-2008 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveB
Well I noticed less roll when I added my Z/coupe springs. I do agree that having some roll in benefical hence the reason I said setting sway bars too tight will decrease traction. Better shocks will definitely improve handling limits especially if the damper is perfectly matched to the spring rate. As for improved aerodynamics, there will be a slight improvement since there will be less air traveling underneath it. As for the bars, no I do not have them.

If a drop isn't benefical, then why do the Z and coupe have shorter springs on the same suspension? It is surely all not just for looks. The Z and coupe do handle better and the shorter springs are one of many reasons why. The sedan has a higher rider height for improved ride quality and vehicle load since the sedan will typically see heavier loads.
Dave:

What setting do you have your Stillen sways set to? I have Z/Coup springs on now and looking to get sways put on in the spring.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmykce1
Dave:

What setting do you have your Stillen sways set to? I have Z/Coup springs on now and looking to get sways put on in the spring.
I don't have sway bars yet. From what I've read of those that actually road race and auto-X, the bars are usually slightly stiffer than stock at thier lowest setting so many people find running the front bar at the lowest setting and the rear bar at the medium setting seems to work good for many (a little more rotation dialed in) and others find puting the front medium and keeping the rear at the lowest setting works best (a bit more understeer). I'd think the bars at their stiffest setting would be total overkill unless maybe you were running race-spec rubber. Maybe.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Dropping the car an entire inch isn't going to help roll, which doesn't matter because a little body roll is not a bad thing anyways. Better struts can do a better job for traction than lowering your car ever can. Don't get me started on the ricer logic of aerodynamics from dropping your car a whole inch... And for the bars, I'm guessing you don't have them?
When u come to socal make sure to PM so i can take u for a spin with my "riced out" suspension and see how it compares to ur stock car.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:48 PM
If I could start all over with my car I would have only performed handling mods until I could have gone FI. This car is just to exspense to add power to if only NA mods are being performed.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I never said not to drop it... DaveB's logic of dropping the car is better than good struts for performance just doesn't add up...
Changing just the springs well help the car's direction changing more than just switching the shocks. That is a fact and there is no need arguing about it. Springs are the ones that compress not the shocks.

Yes if u want it right then both should be changed matching the physical height of the spring and the spring rate.

Last edited by Klubbheads; 03-03-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:44 PM
I actually called today and asked for an exchange. I'm now getting Hot Wheels decals to run the length of my passenger and driver side doors along with a 4" single can muffler with whistle tip to boot! My APC windshield decal will be here soon along with my larger than stock Supra Whale Tail spoiler. Man I can't wait to pimp out my G!

Or not... just wanted dofu to see what real ricer logic looked like as compared to someone who's done enough research on enough topics when it come to vehicles for me to respect even though I sometimes disagree with him. Thanks for the input Dave.

Don't worry, when he pulled out the ricer logic..

Old 03-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
Yes if u want it right then both should be changed matching the physical height of the spring and the spring rate.
Technically, you do want to change both, but springs alone would be fine for street driving. But if it was performance you were going after, struts are the most important piece of the suspension, and also the first piece of the suspension you want to upgrade. If you drop your car at all, you are changing your suspension's geometry enough to where your stock struts aren't working the way they were built to work. Technically, you have to worry about roll center too, but I don't want to get into all of that right now... We'll focus on something simpler first.

Think of it this way, being low can be good for handling, but does any of that matter when those expensive tires you have aren't getting traction because your stock struts aren't working properly or just not good enough? Granted, stock sport struts aren't that bad, but they aren't that good either, especially once you've lowered your car at all. It really isn't that big of a deal being dropped on stock struts for regular daily driving, but it's going to matter when you're taking that high speed turn. It'll matter even more when you hit a bump in the middle of that turn, and you need traction back.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Dofu. I think most won't argue your points too much. But Dave suggested using either the Z or Coupe springs. If the sedan owner is on the non-sport suspension, then both of these springs feature slightly higher spring rates and lower the car up to 1.0". Both will help handling. It's undeniable.

Now on the issue of shocks, technically using the non-sport shocks might not work well. But I do believe Dave said to use the Z or coupe shocks. Both are perfectly fine and are matched to the springs he suggested. If he's on a sport suspension, his stock shocks are fine. And the 1" lower springs won't affect the shock's performance at all. Only at the very extreme will it "might" bottom out and damage the shock.

The ride height doesn't affect the shock's ability to handle the car. Unless the ride height is so low it causes the shock to bottom out when the springs are compressed all the way. As long as the shock is able to handle the spring rate currently on the car, it's fine. Especially when we are only talking about 1" max. There's nothing wrong with upgrading your shocks even on a stock suspension or with Z/Coupe springs. I'll be running Konis and z/coupe springs.

The ultimate performane gain from swapping stock springs/shocks might not be that great. Question is, is it the same/better/less than adding these tie bars that are only bolt on. And the sedan doesn't have the chassis bar available that I'd like to have.

Okay ugh. Why are you two even arguing? Dude already has a full 350z suspension. I assume it means he has the matching shocks.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 03-04-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:23 PM
dofu the way u were sounding is that changing just the springs is rice without specifying which springs, how much lower and the spring rate. Now the bottom line is that changing springs with stock shocks is going to reduce body roll and which means that the car is going to change direction much faster.

Changing the shock without touching the stock spring is going to do absolutely NOTHING to improve the handling of the car. If u have stiff a$$ springs on the car that lower the car 10 inches, yes aftermarket shocks are necessary to match the height/rate of the aftermarket spring.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
dofu the way u were sounding is that changing just the springs is rice without specifying which springs, how much lower and the spring rate. Now the bottom line is that changing springs with stock shocks is going to reduce body roll and which means that the car is going to change direction much faster.
Like I said, I never said not to drop your car, and yes, calling someone on a ricer statement can be a low blow, but...

Originally Posted by DaveB
Well yes, you do need the right shocks teamed with the springs. The Sport shocks are up to the task. A 1" drop will reduce the roll center and improve roll stiffness without compromising suspension geometry plus they will allow the chassis to respond a little quicker and will reduce brake dive. They will also improve aerodynamics. The sway bars will improve things even more assuming you don't go nuts with the settings.
I can understand the barely marginal aerodynamic gains from a 3" drop, but this man is talking about a 1" drop...

Last edited by dofu; 03-04-2008 at 04:30 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Increase power or increase handling?