G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Who says G Sedan can't compete in Autocross?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who says G Sedan can't compete in Autocross?

Sorry guys, I meant to post this last week when it was more current, and a few of you may have already read about this on FA.

The Solo II National Tour came through Houston earlier this month and I decided to run in STX because of several mods that put me out of Stock class. It's actually closer to the street tire class that I run in Houston on a regular basis anyway. There were 10 people running in STX. About half were locals and the other half out of towners. Six of the contenders were in WRX's, then there was a Sentra Spec V, a BMW 325i, a Mustang GT (the one that usually wins my class) and myself in the G.

For those of you that don't know the format, it's usually a 2 day event where they take the best of three runs on Saturday, and add it to the best of your three runs on Sunday for the final outcome.

After the first day, I was pretty dissapointed with my runs and ended up 8th of the ten. My second day I decided to up my tire pressure and stiffen the suspension a bit. Whatever I did, it was right. I ended up pulling a kick-*** run on my second of the day to pull into 4th overall and win a trophy. First ever national event and was able to pull it out! The top 3 spots went to the WRX's, but so did the bottom 3.

For a more in-depth write up, check out the link below. All in all, a great weekend and hope for all sedan owners. It can be done!

FA Write up

'03 AT Sedan | Silver/Willow | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav | Injen CAI | UR Pulley | Tein Flex w/EDFC | Stillen Rotors | Cusco Sways | TS ECU | Stillen Exhaust

Old 04-13-2004, 03:25 PM
Re: Who says G Sedan can't compete in Autocross?

Congratulations!

I always enjoy reading about the progress with your car and racing.

*'03.5 MT6 Sedan, Premium, CB*

*'00 Saleen S281-SC* http://members.cardomain.com/headpaneer

Old 04-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good news! How close where your times to those 3 faster WRX's?

Old 04-13-2004, 10:01 PM

Great job Don!

Your car not only looks great, it's also a performer. You've proven that an AT Sedan with the right mods and a good driver can be very competitive.

DaveO - 2003 G35 Sedan / DP / Willow / AT / Premium / Sport
350Z Engine Cover, T-Stat & Air Duct / Stillen CAI
GG 7-Wire H-G Kit / TS ECU / E-Fans
Street Edge TC / B&M Cooler / Stillen Exhaust

Old 04-13-2004, 10:59 PM

Ryoken,

First day I was off the lead time by 1.92 sec. (not very good) and the second day, I had the third fastest time of the ten and was off the fastest by .93 sec. Not bad when you consider the guy with the fastest time the first day (second best the second day) has been autocrossing for 20 years or so. I'll barely have a year under my belt next month.

If you click on the FA link in my original post all the times are listed.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

'03 AT Sedan | Silver/Willow | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav | Injen CAI | UR Pulley | Tein Flex w/EDFC | Stillen Rotors | Cusco Sways | TS ECU | Stillen Exhaust

Old 04-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Banned

nice job!!

i'm still on the fence on autocrossing my G, i've taken it out a couple times and done ok, it's bone stock...

i'm thinking stx is where i want to be, need some 8 inch rims and 245 tires. i've got to balance handling with ride somewhat... how is Tein Flex w/EDFC????

Mize
Silver 03 6 Speed Sedan/Willow/Premium
Wish List:
18x8 SSR GT1 with 245/40/18 Kumho Ecsta MX
Springs/Shocks/Sway Bars
http://www.AutomobileFanatic.com

Old 04-15-2004, 11:30 PM

It's great! The only thing that has been difficult is getting the settings just right. I've been jacking with other components such as the sways, tire pressures, etc. so much that it's been hard to concentrate on where the best setting is for me and my style of driving. If I had more than 3 runs to dial it in just right, I think I would be a little better at it, but it seems to be getting easier, and I think I at least have an area where I feel pretty comfortable.

Old 04-19-2004, 07:24 PM

Nice job leadfoot. I've been running ESP but I think it is time to go back to the STX class. That means I have to get rid of the Kuhmo Victoracers. There is one Camaro that is totally track ready and one EVO with lots of mods that run here that are just too fast. I think I would do better in the STX. Your running 245 Falken Azenis on the stock rims right? How have they been working? I think that is the way I'm gonna go.

Congrats!!!

Base 6MT Silver sedan
Stillen Exhaust
Stillen CAI
Eibach Pro Kit
Eibach Sway Bars

Old 04-19-2004, 11:40 PM

6speed: Coming out on May 2? I'll be there in DS with some shiny new Eagle F1 GS-D3's. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-20-2004, 02:32 PM

He didn't have to prove anything, we should ALL (6mters included) know by now that the auto is every bit as capable as the manual Gs.

Chris Ressler
PasSport Infiniti - Quality Control Manager
Capital G club - President
** Your friend on the inside **

Old 04-20-2004, 04:17 PM

Thanks man, and yes, ESP is bad news because of the STi and Evo allowance. They're not allowed in STX. :^ )

I did run on stock rims for a while with the 245s and they worked nicely, just had to keep around 40 on the pressures all around. I got another set of 17x8 Enkei RPO2-J's because I liked them so much and sold my stock rims, so the Falkens aren't so tightly squeezed any more.

Old 04-20-2004, 08:12 PM

Leadfoot do you run the falkens as your daily tire now? I know that you use to have two sets of rims and tires right? Also can we run the VLSD in the STX class? I think that the LSD would help a lot. What do you think. I'm sort of new to Autocross so I have made a few upgrade mistakes. I just want to make sure before I purchase something that puts me in another class.

Thanks

Base 6MT Silver sedan
Stillen Exhaust
Stillen CAI
Eibach Pro Kit
Eibach Sway Bars

Old 04-20-2004, 10:12 PM

Here's the rule as I understand it for STX:

Under STX Rule 14.11 A

5. Only standard (as defined in Section 12.4) limited slip differentials
(LSD) are allowed on AWD vehicles. For AWD vehicles that did
not come with any type of limited slip differential (including center
differential or transfer case), a single aftermarket LSD may be
added. 2WD vehicles may use any LSD unit.

I run my other set as daily drivers on a duplicate set of Enkeis (255/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3).

As far as the LSD goes, don't make the same costly mistake I did. I originally got the Nismo which for autocross was way too aggressive in my opinion. Now I have the viscous unit from a 350z, which works better for autocross.

Old 04-21-2004, 01:36 AM

Lead foot, besides the Aero kit w/spoiler and driver what would you say has given you the biggest advantage for Autocross?

What did the 350Z VLSD cost? Did you install it yourself? After installing the VLSD was there a learning curve to re-learn how to drive the car for AuotX? I have heard that it is very different.

Base 6MT Silver sedan
Stillen Exhaust
Stillen CAI
Eibach Pro Kit
Eibach Sway Bars