G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 learns our driving style ??!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G35 learns our driving style ??!!

I was the one that reset the algorythm by disconnecting the battery for 12 hours. I noticed the throttle response right off the bat. A nice crisp feeling between shifts. This was about 2 months ago that I did this. I don't know how long the learning cycle is before the algorythm sticks so I could not tell you how long you have to drive in the style you wish. I say try it. It does not hurt.

Limited Edition Twilight Blue / Premium / Graphite / Xenons

Old 03-08-2003, 12:16 AM

mbarrad,

Have you noticed any change in your mpg? I would think that if the throttle response change is that noticable, then the mpg would change also.

Old 03-08-2003, 03:07 AM

ryoken:
Great answer. Thanks!

[b][i]<font color=red>BoneDaddy
2003.5 Garnet Fire, Premium, Aero, Sport

Old 03-08-2003, 07:18 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey danl, <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

If you drive hard and take your G on a long highway trip then when you get back you should notice that the car feels 'sluggish' for a few days. Unless Infiniti has changed their learning system I doubt there is any -need- to disconnect the battery<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Also Traian, Dan, BoneDaddy, EdRedS, Hoshtaylor, Pesti, Coupeman, Drmerck, Tim Super, Ryoken, Chi-35 (appologies to any I missed) [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] :
We've been tossing this subject around for months now waiting for something definitive from Nissan and to date - nothing. Have you had any experience with this type of 'learning algo' on Nissans or Infinitis? I've heard very little and am anxious to get the 'skinny'.
All i've heard so far (from a tech at my dealership) is that there is a L/A on our A/T cars that will reflect your driving habits in shifting crispness and similarly shift time. As Mbarrad has said, and I too can attest, disconnecting the batt for 12 hrs. works well. 12 hrs was recommended by my tech guy to fully clear all the memory- he didn't know why it takes so long but apparantly it does on these cars. I havn't heard of anyone doing a shorter disconnect like you'd do on other cars.
Nor do we know how long it takes to 'learn' either hotter shifting or softer shifting. Someone mentioned that disconnecting is unnecessary and I suspect it isn't necessary either but would take some time to learn hotter shifting again.The benefit of disconnecting is that it would show an abrupt and noticable change in shifting.
There have been some inquiries sent in to Nissan in the past on this subject, but no results yet. I've asked at the shop whenever I'm there for anything and nada yet. We're all still patiently waiting for anything on this, so if anyone has anything they can add on the subject lets keep the thread active. It's real interesting, and addresses one of the few shortcomings of the auto cars particularly the Sedan auto.
My Coupe's shifting is noticably better than the 2003 Sedan I had b4 but I'd dearly love to learn more about this.
I look forward to hearing from you all. If you learn anything or hear anything then post it-- we should be able to get somewhere on this.
L8r bros [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gsedanman on 03/08/03 04:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 03-08-2003, 09:11 PM

Nothing definitive, just purely subjective. The effect i am talking about could entirely be psychological and is based on my experience w/ the G20 I've owned for the past 4 years. Getting my new G this spring when the snow's all gone. if you wanted to be scientific about it then maybe you could drive it nice and easy for the first half of the week and make a note of the shift points during a WOT straight and level stretch of raod then drive it hard the rest of the week and test it again. Take these numbers and compare them to similar numbers before you reset everything to factory defaults by disc. the battery

Old 03-08-2003, 09:37 PM

I've posted this same question here and on FA with the same results and new questions. I ended up emailing Infiniti Customer Services just before Christmas, here's their response email: (it was already in another post but I could not find it)

----------------------------------------------------
Dear John,

Thank you for contacting Nissan North America, Inc. and allowing us the opportunity to be of assistance.

Unfortunately, Nissan Consumer Affairs does not have access to information regarding the learning algorithm feature on the transmission of the G35 sedan.

For information regarding this issue, please contact:

Nissan Technical Center North America
39001 Sunset Drive
P.O. Box 9200
Farmington Hills, MI 48333-9200
Phone: 248/488-4123
Fax: 248/488-3901

If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to e-mail us.

Sincerely,

James
National Consumer Affairs

---------------------------------------------------------------

I did make the call for additional information, but have yet to get a reply. I was even given a "request ID" from their tracking system. Feel free to use the information above to make additional requests! If I even hear back I will post.

Regards,

JC

Old 03-08-2003, 10:47 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

John, My appologies for not remembering it was you who contacted Nissan b4 Christmas about the learning algo. on our trannies. I'll see my tech guy at the dealership soon and ask him for the latest on this and also ask him to contact Nissan Tech Centre in Michigan. They may be a little more forthcoming to him than to us. We'll see.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Danl, Glad to hear your G will arrive soon. Just in time for the fine weather. That's the Sedan A/T you've ordered is it? I had one b4 my Coupe and really enjoyed it a lot.
Once the weather improves, I'll get the Coupe out and do some serious b4 and after testing with the A/T. In the mean time I'll see what I can come up with from the shop and maybe Nissan Tech in Michigan.
Tell us what you've ordered and how equipped bro.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
L8r

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>

Old 03-08-2003, 11:42 PM

No gas MPG improvements. It still sucks. I'm trying to control my 300lb right foot as gas prices are sky-rocketing.

Limited Edition Twilight Blue / Premium / Graphite / Xenons

Old 03-09-2003, 10:53 PM

Thanks for the info. As indicated, we should try to keep this thread alive and hopefully, we'll get to the bottom of this "learning" issue.

Old 03-09-2003, 10:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the adaptive algorithm only do it's thing when in "D"? If I switch over to manual mode, does it ignore the adaptive patterns?

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 03-10-2003, 08:13 PM

Mostly in Drive, but......

That being said, it also works in manumatic mode ONLY if you select a specific gear and leave it there. I like keeping the trans in manumatic all the time so that I can quickly get to lower gears to pass or have a little fun. Leaving it there will automatically downshift for me when slowing down for a light and shift up for me when speeding up (until it reaches the gear I selected).

Regards,

JC

Old 03-10-2003, 08:53 PM

I've also found out that this "learning" is not static. In other words, once it learns it keeps on learning. What hasn't yet been determined are when learning "points" are established.

Here's what I've heard but can't verify until my call is answered:

- Temporary extreme driving habit changes are not "remembered". The ECU sees this as an "out of control" spec (in SPC terms) and eliminates it from any calculations. So driving like crazy for one or two times will do nothing except waste gas. I got this information from an Infiniti tech who was visiting my dealer.

- Not verified, but "learning" is initiated when the car starts and it uses the last 5 saved "settings" to start learning from again. I have no idea what a "setting" is, how it gets saved, or nothing. Same source as above told me this.

- The "learned" settings can be erased by the dealer's computer terminal it hooks up to our car.

- Unplugging the battery will reset the "learned" setting. No idea for how long to leave it unplugged. I haven't tried this myself because I'm too lazy to reset my radio presets!

Like I said earlier, I'm still waiting for a response, but I may call again (three times now) to see if I can get any more information. I'll post more info as soon as I get it!

BTW - My average mpg is 19.47 as of an hour ago at my last fillup. 8339 miles and 26 fillups to date. I use <a href="http://www.ownersite.com">Ownersite.com</a href> to track everything. It's easy, free, and I can compare mpg to the EPA estimates and other G's as well! Cool site, I like it.

Regards,

JC

Old 03-10-2003, 10:57 PM

John and Constjs - good info. At least we're getting something. My guess is that, indeed, the computer keeps a limited number of driving trackings and it always adjusts. It would be nice to understand the algorithm and how long does it take to re-learn the computer a different style.

Keep the information flow .....