G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

A warning to all current and future G35 owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 01:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: A warning to all current and future G35 owners

I was also going to mention the CR ratings on MB and even BMW. They do not recommend most models from either company now, as reliability is below average. Even car companies that you think have excellent reliability records due to their reputations can disappoint.
Sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, there are always a few owners that have problems. If you cannot deal with getting it repaired and are set on getting rid of the car, all I can say is enjoy your Benzo.
In the meantime, I will still be loving my G!
I also was hesitant to buy in the first model year, but the advice and information in these forums, and the test drive won me over.
I am confident my G will last many years.

[b][i]<font color=red>BoneDaddy
2003.5 Garnet Fire, Premium, Aero, Sport

Old 03-10-2003, 03:48 AM

I guess everyone is missing my MAIN point here; which is that the G35 has what I call a bad engineering flaw. You CAN NOT disengage the shifter safety without a tool that you are not supplied (small mechanic's screwdriver). Gee guys it's like having a spare tire without a JACK. If I can save one person from having to have their car towed than I feel I've accomplished something. I doubt Infiniti or any other car maker would acknowledge this so I post the information to help others. I know if I had read it here I would have been prepared.

And my humble apologies if I called anyone's girlfriend fat. I never have gotten so attached to a car that I couldn't call a spade a spade. I just trusted that with all my vehicles, and again I use the same simple anology if I get a flat tire I expect the jack to work. Hell I have a friend that swears to his dying days that his Corvair is the best car ever made. (don't know if anyone here is old enough to know the history of the Corvair)

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gknesek on 03/10/03 06:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 03-10-2003, 03:10 PM

Hi Gknesek,

Actually, many cars have a park lock on their shifter. I've experienced problems with them on Toyotas, GM cars and even on a Mercedes. My G35 is a 6MT Coupe, so it has no such lock. In all the aforementioned vehicles that have a console shifter, there is a small panel you have to pry up with a screwdriver (not supplied) and underneath is an emergency release. This engineering festure is by no means unique to the Infiniti G35, so don't think you won't see it again on another, similarly-equipped car.

That minor nit aside, you have a point WRT car trouble. I had to make Toyota buy back a 2000 Tundra, because the brakes kept warping under light-load (carrying a dirt bike) conditions, so I empathize. Having a car that keeps giving you problems is a real pisser. To tell you the truth, I started buying Toyotas because I wanted perfect, trouble-free vehicles. Of course, Toyota knows all about its rep and trades upon it - they charge you a pretty hefty "it's a Toyota" premium (largely undeserved, IMO). Once that myth was dispelled, I decided to go back to the Nissans my wife and I have been so happy with. Since I didn't want average joe service, I decided to look at Infiniti. So far, I'm glad I did.

I hope your next car experience is as rewarding as my time in Nissan products has been.

-- mike

Old 03-10-2003, 03:45 PM

Actually i think we all got your point about the keylock on the automatic transmisison and we appreciate the warning, but I think a few on here might of gotten a little defensive because you made it sound like the G35 is a lemon because of this problem and that people considering the G35 should consider another car because of this.

Being your the only person we have heard this from (on this message board anyways), I would say its more a chance of bad luck then a problem with all G35's.

So far the problems i've heard several complaints of, have been A/C controls that lock up, A CD Changer that eats CD's and a few rattle's here and there.

Old 03-10-2003, 04:45 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi gknesek, Sorry to hear of your issues with your G's transmission shift lock--most inconvenient-but these things do happen even with the best of cars.
I checked my manual for my Coupe and discovered that this problem was discussed in the 'Starting and Driving' section.
I don't have the Sedan manual here but perhaps you can look in yours to see if it's addressed in there.
I've posted a pic of the page and tool found in my trunk tool kit designed for this purpose (to release the lock in the event of malfuction or dead battery).
Hope this helps you and others with their cars. I found this interesting that Nissan/Infiniti had thought of this issue and had included the necessary tool in the Coupe tool kit with corresponding instruction in the owners manual. If it turns out that the instructon and tool is lacking in the Sedan, I'd suggest a call to Nissan HQ to explain. I'm sure they could be helpful in rectifying the problem for you. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Good luck and we hope you find happiness with your G.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>

28455-Shift Lock Release and Tool.jpg

Old 03-10-2003, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gsedanman and his trusty manual to the rescue again! [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 03-10-2003, 06:18 PM
A warning to all current and future G35 owners

I feel the need to tell all current and future G35 owners of the bizarre experience I recently had with my G35 sedan. I want to warn everyone of a major problem that Infiniti has not notified their customers about. Recently I decide to take a client out to lunch in my new vehicle, but when I went to start it all manner of warnings came on in the instrument panel; this included the VDC, ABS, AT, etc. The vehicle then would not allow me to place it into drive. After repeatedly turning off and on the car nothing changed of course the client I was taking to lunch is perplexed as I was. The navigation system tells me to drive it to the nearest Infiniti dealer, which is impossible because the car will not go into gear. We then decided to take my client’s car to lunch, and of course he pointed out, “isn’t the G35 the car of the year” (slightly embarrassed) I say obviously not this year.

The car is functioning fine when I decide to drive it home later that evening. The next morning I decide to take it to the dealership for service. But the car is acting up again. I call the dealership, and finally talk to a mechanic who says all I need to do is shove a key into the slot by the gear shifter, which will release the gear shifter. Of course that does nothing but scratch the hell out of the gear shift face plate. He suggests that I call a tow truck to come pick up the car so I call Infiniti Customer Service, and wait 30 minutes on hold (but that is another story) By that time the car decides it will now work after turning it off and on repeatedly.

After arriving at the dealership, and talking to the service manager I’m informed that it’s a common problem, and she has had three other G35’s do the same thing, and it’s a bad brake switch. She then shows me that you need a small thin screw driver to shove into the release hole to release the gear shifter. (I didn’t receive one when I purchased my G35 did anyone else?) I asked if they can disable the safety feature of the gear shifter, and they said they can’t, so I guess I will have to carry a small screw driver in my car when it decides to malfunction again.

The question I have not received an answer on is why hasn’t Infiniti notified owners of this defective brake switch? So far I’ve been very disappointed, and have lost confidence in the reliability of my G35, and will be trading it in for a more reliable vehicle as soon as I can. In the mean time does anyone know how to disable the safety feature on the gear shifter?

Old 03-10-2003, 06:18 PM

gsedanman, I just checked my sedan's toolkit. I have that wrench thing in your photo, but there's no way it'll fit into the slot by the shifter until after you pry open the plastic cap. The problem is in prying open that little plastic cap w/o scratching the snot out of the console. I think that's where a small screwdriver would come in handy.

Old 03-10-2003, 10:50 PM

Thank you I owe you a six pack of beer, I'm glad we all learned something that is what is great about these forums. My service rep called me to update me that they will have my car for a couple of more days. They have to order some more parts. The brake switch is not in stock plus something about some recalls needed on my sedan plus they have to replace the face plate that is scratched from me trying a key to fix the problem (I did what the mechanic said on the phone) The service manager didn't know about the tool included in the spare tire toolkit. They were going to check it out and see if it was in my sedan. You stated that you had a coupe so I informed them about that bit of information.

Anyway thanks again and tell me where I can send the beer.

Regards

Old 03-10-2003, 11:47 PM
O.F. Administrator

Hey bro, no need for the 'brews'-- but we'd all like to think you'll keep the G to enjoy.
We're all glad to help[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2003, 11:54 PM
O.F. Administrator

Hey bro, I haven't attacked my 'plastic cap' yet but thanks for the warning. I'll have a look soon and see 'WASUP' [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
L8r dude,

Old 03-10-2003, 11:57 PM

It's good to know this stuff before you need it. I learned to how to manually crank the sunroof closed on my 86 Accord long before it got stuck open in the rain. That could have been really bad!

Old 03-11-2003, 01:45 AM

At least is sounds like gknesek has calmed down a bit in terms of ripping the car.
The bottom line is, the tool to release the shifter is supplied by Infiniti.
Hope things get fixed in your G...

[b][i]<font color=red>BoneDaddy
2003.5 Garnet Fire, Premium, Aero, Sport

Old 03-11-2003, 01:48 AM

They supply the tool to release the shifter, but they don't supply a tool to remove the protective cover from the shift-release so that you can use the other tool to release the shifter.

Old 03-11-2003, 09:20 AM
O.F. Administrator

Hey dude, If Nissan had really been thinking they'd have made that 'tool' a slot screwdriver at the other end................
Oh well at least they made the keys to fit the locks (in most cases [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]) hahahahahahaha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A warning to all current and future G35 owners