G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Don't Buy Gas on May 19th ::email::

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Don't Buy Gas on May 19th ::email::

what does this have anything to do with china?

Old 05-17-2004, 02:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, it's just an internet chain letter that gets sent out every year. I don't know how long it's been going around, but it didn't work for at least the last two years, and won't work this year.

Old 05-17-2004, 01:32 PM

ya..i understand that part...i didn't get the other

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Oh, and as for the situation now-- Don't forget China, people.

<hr></blockquote>

Old 05-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

China's demand for oil has positively skyrocketed recently. Much, much heavier demand when you've got a country with 15% of the world's population asking for it at last. We need to "ration" oil, as the world's not getting any smaller.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 05-17-2004, 02:06 PM

i agree...though china's demand for oil has always been there...its true its always increasing....but as much as we wish to think...thats not the reason....we probably just pissed off the middle-easterners and now they are enforcing the "limit" that they were more lenient before =)

Old 05-17-2004, 03:22 PM

Source: Heraldnet.com
Published: Sunday, April 18, 2004
By James McCusker

High gas prices-- the facts and myths

The station down the road from us now sells regular unleaded gasoline for $1.92 a gallon. Premium goes for $2.14. Chicken Little is forecasting that we will soon be paying $3.

Prices have certainly jumped recently, and we have dusted off the usual suspects: OPEC, the lack of refinery capacity, commodity speculators, SUV drivers and, of course, the greedy oil companies (in cahoots with you know who, of course ... this is an election year, after all).

However, one of the fundamental causes is not on that list -- basic economics.

Every business attempts to maximize, or at least stabilize, its profits. And the OPEC countries have seen theirs drop precipitously. Suppose you had a product that sold for $1.15 two years ago and it now brings in only 83 cents, even though demand is still strong. You would probably be disappointed, to say the least, and you would start looking around for some way to bolster your bottom line.

That is essentially what happened to the OPEC countries over the past two years. <font color=red>In global markets, by agreement, crude oil is priced in U.S. dollars. So, as the dollar has lost value relative to other currencies, the oil-producing countries effectively receive less for each barrel they sold -- unless the price goes up.</font color=red>

Economists use the term inelastic to describe the demand for a product or commodity that people will buy pretty much the same price irrespective of ups or downs. In the short run at least, the demand for oil is inelastic. If gasoline stays expensive, next year we might buy a smaller vehicle, a hybrid car, or even move closer to work. But right now, we need gas so we can get to our jobs.

Facing an inelastic demand for its product and declining real income, OPEC decided to cut production so the price of crude oil would go up. Their goal was straightforward enough: They wanted their income per barrel to go back up to what it had been before the dollar started its downhill slide.

<font color=red>What new price would bring their income per barrel back to where it had been? The decline in the dollar against the euro since 2002 works out to 39 percent. The average price per barrel of crude oil for the first quarter of 2004 is higher than the 2002 average by exactly the same amount -- 39 percent.</font color=red>

This tells us two things. First, OPEC isn't the villain in this piece. Oil producers were simply trying to bring their profitability back into line after being walloped by the dollar's devaluation. Second, because OPEC's action was essentially defensive, it isn't likely that we are going to see continued escalation of gasoline prices. Of course, the continued pressure on U.S. refinery and storage capacity gives the supply-demand picture for petroleum products a bias toward price increases and encourages commodity speculators. But that is our doing, not OPEC's.

As to whether SUV drivers are a major factor, it doesn't really seem so. It wouldn't hurt for us to drive vehicles that were more fuel-efficient, but it is hard to ignore the fact that overall energy use per capita hasn't really gone up in 30 years. We may be disappointed with auto manufacturers' pandering to our love for large vehicles, but it hasn't done much, if any, damage to our overall record. Population growth is a bigger driving force in total energy consumption than SUVs.

And thanks to the massive, often painful shift in the U.S. economy from manufacturing to service industries, the energy consumed per dollar of gross domestic product is actually about half of what it was before the OPEC oil crisis of 1973. So the increase in the price of oil will not have as strong an effect on our overall economic recovery as it would have had a generation ago.

Besides these, there are some other economic forces gathering to help us out. The U.S. economic recovery is now proceeding so robustly that we are seeing the need for an increase in interest rates. This should ease the pressure on the U.S. dollar and, at the same time, augment OPEC's income stream so oil production can get back to normal.

Those people who want to believe that it is President Bush's friends in the oil companies who are behind the price increases -- in some incomprehensibly boneheaded plot to further his re-election by sabotaging the economy -- will probably continue to believe it. But it is actually just economics at work. It hurts us in the pocketbook, but that's its nature, sometimes.

James McCusker is a Bothell economist, educator and consultant. He also writes "Business 101," which appears monthly in The Snohomish County Business Journal.

2004 | 6MTs | Diamond Graphite/Graphite
Upstate NY

Old 05-17-2004, 06:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to buy gas Tuesday.

Actually, today, but I forgot.

I guess I can now wait until Wednesday.

2004 Sedan/DVD Navigation/Desert Platinum/Willow

Old 05-18-2004, 12:01 PM

Yep. Never gonna work. People will buy gas one day before or after.

Lots of people still buying those 'school buses' aka SUVs then complain about gas prices. Want lower fuel prices? Stop buying fuel sucking SUVs until Hybrid version comes up.

2004 G35s 5AT
DYNO: 209.2whp@209.4wtq (bone stock)

Old 05-18-2004, 08:25 PM

It is unfortunate, to say the least, and probably indicative of a failed education system, that an apparent majority of young people fail to grasp the simplest economic concepts. That ignorance feeds nonsense such as this email. Free enterprise is what makes it possible for guys like me to drive a G35. You don't like it, buy a Lada (old Soviet POS)

'03 G35/6MT Sedan Black/Black

Old 05-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought some gas today. Not at the gas station but at Super Taqueria. Gotta love those beans

Jim
'03.5 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio

Old 05-19-2004, 06:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went and put in $13 worth of gas in my G35. Wasn't interested enough in fighting chain mail spam to take my truck out after I got home to put gas in it.

2004 Sedan/DVD Navigation/Desert Platinum/Willow

Old 05-19-2004, 09:25 PM

This didn't seem to work around here.
Gas prices went up another 2 cents.
Maybe it's Thursday the the 20th.

2003.5~AT~Sedan~Carribean Blue~Graphite Leather~Premium~Winter~Wood Trim "You can't win if you don't play the game"

Old 05-20-2004, 11:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just because I hate spam which is all this email was (I got it too) I went out yesterday and filled up with premium, I also filled up all of my buddies cars for free. When I filled them up I also topped off to the point where gas was pouring out of the gas filler for a good minute all over the floor so I could be sure the tanks were all nice and full. Overall I spent $690 on gas fill ups for me and my buddies and then we all bought some oil from the gas station and went to our local reservoir and poured it in there to kill any wildlife that might have been trying to thrive.

Then we went and had non-dolphin friendly tuna melt sandwiches made by 3 year old peruvian children at our local slave market (they make the best tuna melts) and after that we all went panda and whale hunting.

It was fun.

Jase aka Doogie
04 G35S

Old 05-20-2004, 11:36 AM

I thought I made the best tuna melts

2003.5~AT~Sedan~Carribean Blue~Graphite Leather~Premium~Winter~Wood Trim "You can't win if you don't play the game"

Old 05-20-2004, 11:42 AM

Maybe next year I'll buy a G35 Hybrid and get 50miles/gal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Don't Buy Gas on May 19th ::email::