G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Purpose of "Neutral"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pjames
basically neutral is there so that you can disconnect the wheels from the engine, for whatever purpose.
+1 Neutral is the only way in an AT to disengage the engine from the tranny, for pushing, towing, whatever

Old 10-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
LOL make a video and post it on AUTO. It will be an epic video.
LOL, clearly you and BlueDevil have never driven a beat up old POS automatic before... I used to drive a hand-me-down '81 El Camino back in the early 90's and the damn thing would just stall while driving for no reason. I remember on at least a dozen occasions popping it into N to turn the ignition while still rolling, engine starts right up, then I put it back in D and went on my merry way.

Trust me there's no need for a video of this, it's a perfectly workable solution when you drive an auto that isn't in tip-top shape, like dmitrylm said.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^
Haha true - I've never owned anything but manuals, and I've never had an auto stall on me at speed.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
so you can neutral drop it at a green light!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueDevilBAMF
^^^
Haha true - I've never owned anything but manuals, and I've never had an auto stall on me at speed.
Try driving something made in America, poorly maintained, and at least a decade old, then you'll see what I mean.

I'm with you though, I've only bought 3 cars so far in my life and they were all manual, I hope I never get so old and/or lazy that I have to rationalize buying an auto (usually this includes "oh I can't stand moving my left leg in traffic" or "auto is easier to find and cheaper" or "my wife needs to be able to drive it" - BS: your left leg needs exercise too, it's worth the extra time and money, and your wife can learn to drive stick).

Old 10-01-2008, 06:18 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Vid for proof (of it actually happening).

This would only work in the rare instance that the car was in "D", stalls, then you shift to "N" while still rolling, then (I'm assuming) turn the ignition?

You can't get the car out of park unless it's already started, so this has next to no use.
haha, why do you need a video, it's completely logical... I've done it once or twice in my car. My TPMS light used to go off for no reason, i didnt even have the sensors in my wheels. So the light would come on after ~40 miles, the light was annoying and it reset everytime i turned the car off and turned it back on, so i was curious if it woul do the same thing while driving on the freeway. Put the car in neutral, turned it off, then turned it back on and kept on driving
-GP-

Old 10-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
^^^
and so you've been debating that we coulndt start the engine while moving in N and you never owned an auto... classic

Old 10-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by nghiars
and so you've been debating that we coulndt start the engine while moving in N and you never owned an auto... classic
Never owned one, but spent several hundred hours driving one

Old 10-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Joe_Camel
Try driving something made in America, poorly maintained, and at least a decade old, then you'll see what I mean.
The old American autos I've driven weren't poorly maintained, and the only one I can remember stalling was a 2000-something Jeep Grand Cherokee that had something seriously wrong with it and it would stall at stops if I didn't keep my foot on the gas to rev while braking... yeah that sucked

Old 10-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you park on an incline it is a good idea to put your parking brake on while in neutral to avoid the dreaded tranny clunk......

Old 10-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by TwinInfin
When you park on an incline it is a good idea to put your parking brake on while in neutral to avoid the dreaded tranny clunk......
I see, so when your parking brake fails you can just roll down hill right?

Old 10-02-2008, 11:55 AM
i some times coast in neutral in heavy traffic... i've made it 2.5km without turning the car on, in about 45minutes.... bloody traffic... and don't give me stuff about not being in control of the car... i was going about walking speed... made it up to maybe 5kph... saved a lot of gas (:

Old 10-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by dmitriylm
I see, so when your parking brake fails you can just roll down hill right?
Wow your kidding right? Heres a little more detail for you. While in neutral you apply the parking brake, then slowly release pressure from the service brake so that you are now resting the cars weight on the parking brake. Now you may shift into (P) without worrying about the tranny clunk.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by TwinInfin
Wow your kidding right? Heres a little more detail for you. While in neutral you apply the parking brake, then slowly release pressure from the service brake so that you are now resting the cars weight on the parking brake. Now you may shift into (P) without worrying about the tranny clunk.
Why would I be kidding? What you're saying now is not what you said before as evidence by the addition of other details. You can compare the two if you would like:

1)When you park on an incline it is a good idea to put your parking brake on while in neutral to avoid the dreaded tranny clunk......

2)While in neutral you apply the parking brake, then slowly release pressure from the service brake so that you are now resting the cars weight on the parking brake. Now you may shift into (P) without worrying about the tranny clunk.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:27 PM
O.K your first post inclined that I was suggesting to park on an incline w/o putting the tranny in (P), by just using the parking brake right? Only a rookie driver would ever truly consider parking on an incline by just using the parking brake and leaving in neutral. Thank you for making me put out the beginner reminder of telling you to put it in (P) after applying the parking brake.

BTW this thread: MASSIVE FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Purpose of "Neutral"