G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

2003 Cruise Control Cancels When Signaling Lane Change!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 02:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow 2003 Cruise Control Cancels When Signaling Lane Change!?

Hi all you lucky G35 owners!

First post. I recently purchased an original series 2003 G35 Sedan with the Premium package. I've searched G35Driver.com, other forums, researched the TSB's, searched the web, and still haven't found anyone else with this problem. So, please chime in if you've had or have or know of this problem. I call it a problem, because the manual certainly doesn't address this, if it's a "feature".

It doesn't matter at what speed I have my cruise control set. If I signal a lane change or a full turn signal engagement in either direction, my cruise control cancels. I could see this being a "clever" feature for a full turn signal engagement (you're going to be canceling the cruise control when you touch the brake pedal to slow down for the turn anyways). But, if I'm just cruising down the freeway and partially depressing the turn signal to signal a legal lane change, it's crazy! Yeah, I can hit 'resume' and be back up to speed, but I've never owned a car that did this before. It's quite annoying actually.

So, is this a "feature" on G35's, a DIY fix, or a trip to my mechanic?

Thanks in advance for your advice, opinions, or friendly banter!

-dougbert

Old 10-05-2008, 03:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm... I don't think mine does that. Strange.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an 03.5 with premium and I use cruise all the time, it most definitely should not cancel when you hit the turn signal. That's some kind of crazy electrical gremlin you got there, good luck getting it sorted out. Try to find a shop that specializes in automotive electric stuff if possible.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:20 AM
Thanks for your thoughts guys!

O.K. Cue the eerie music! Tonight, I decided to test the cruise control with something else that controlled the turn signal lights...the hazard lights. Sure enough, set the speed, the Set light came on. Turned on the hazards, and the Set light went off. Cruise cancelled!

I spent some time studying the Service Manual. Neither the turn signals and hazards or the cruise control are even controlled by the same circuitry or modules. The cruise control is the responsibility of the ASCD (Automatic Speed Control Device) which feeds output to the CAN (Controller Area Network) communication lines, while the turn signals come out of the BCM (Body Control Module), but also feed into the CAN lines. But then, almost everything electrical ends up on the CAN communication control lines. Almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about. If I was that smart, I'd know what the problem was. Maybe, I just need to kick the CAN!!!

Looks like a trip to my 'electrical specialty' mechanic, as Joe Camel suggested.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Weird stuff. Does your car have an aftermarket alarm on it? That would be the only thing I can think of that would connect to the turn signal wires... maybe the original owner installed it & crossed the wrong wires?

Old 10-08-2008, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like your turn signal lights are back feeding through your brake light circuit. Your turn signals and your brake lights use the same rear lights, and your brake pedal switch that controlls your brake lights also kicks off your cruise controll when the pedal is pressed so it sounds like the turn signals are some how backfeeding to the brake pedal switch. I would check to see if the pedal switch or the flasher unit has a diode (possibly burnt)

Old 11-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Lightbulb Resolved!!!

Hi all!

First, thank you to those who offered advice. Even though your suggestions weren't the root cause of the problem, they got me thinking.

The ultimate answer came when I read Service Bulletin ITB04-020e. I had installed a trailer lighting converter within the past month that I took out of my 1997 Nissan Maxima thinking if it worked there, it should work in my newer Nissan product. But, noooooooooooo!!! One of my first clues should have been that when the trailer was hooked up and I signaled a turn, it would only blink once and freeze. Otherwise, signaling worked normally when the trailer was disconnected.

Here's a quote from the Service Bulletin:
"When splicing into the vehicle electrical system, a power-type module/converter must be used to provide power for all trailer lighting. A power-type module/converter uses the vehicle battery as a direct power source for all trailer lights while using the vehicle tail lamp, stoplight, and turn signal circuits only as a signal source. The module/converter must draw no more than 5 milliamps from the vehicle turn signal circuits and no more than 15 milliamps from the stop and tail lamp circuits."
So, I won an e-Bay auction for a Draw-Tite 18176 power module with integrated circuit protection. I also purchased the 118151 wiring kit from e-trailer.com that provides the wiring for this module up to the battery's + terminal.

Signalling works great with or without my trailer AND the cruise control function has returned to normal whether or not the trailer's connected!

Thanks for getting my brain in gear!

Last edited by dougbert; 11-03-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:35 AM
Moderator:

Pardon my newbie forum posting etiquette. If you believe this thread would be better suited for the Tech Forum, please move it there.

Also, is there a way to mark a thread with an icon or something when there is a definitive resolution to a problem? I couldn't find anything about moving a thread or marking a thread as resolved in the FAQ's. If a thread owner marking a thread as resolved doesn't exist, it might be a nice addition to help forum members find these more quickly.

Thanks,
-dougbert

Old 11-05-2008, 09:49 PM
my problem is the same but different
-my turn signal and hazard signal will both cancel cruise control
-my turn signal will cut out my power only on signaling
-my turn signal will not blink only left or only right, it will blink both at the same time like hazards do

Old 11-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Talking Bonus Follow-up!!!

Hi all,

I've just got to toss this in! I actually had a 3rd symptom that I didn't even mention, because I really didn't think it had anything to do with the turn signalling and cruise control problem.

I had only owned my G for about a month, when I noticed that it seemed like my engine was "cutting out" on moderate to WOT when attempting to pass someone quickly. What I failed to notice is that the timing of this symptom coincided with adding the incorrect towing light converter from my old `97 Maxima. Bottom line: once I installed the correct power-type module/converter, it also solved my engine "cutting out"!!! A triple threat for sure!!!

Lesson learned! Make sure you install a power-type module/converter along with the power wiring to the battery, as per the TSB, if you are going to be towing a trailer!!!

Last edited by dougbert; 11-08-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by Pfiniti
my problem is the same but different
-my turn signal and hazard signal will both cancel cruise control
-my turn signal will cut out my power only on signaling
-my turn signal will not blink only left or only right, it will blink both at the same time like hazards do
Hi Pfiniti! You seem to have a very similar situation! I don't know how long you've had your G, but if you aren't the original owner, I'd do at least 2 inspections.
1. Check underneath your trunk liner to see if there's a trailer towing lights converter hidden under it somewhere. If so, it's probably not the power-type with the battery wiring.
2. Check your entire vehicle for ANY after-market electronic add-ons. [Joe Camel suggested an after-market alarm] Any one of them may be causing your probems.
What I've learned is that almost any electronic add-on that interacts with your lighting system, may be contributing to these types of problems!

Good luck with yours! I've certainly had my good fortune!

Old 11-09-2008, 05:35 PM
today i took everything out of my trunk and i did not find the problem with any luck.
i don't have an aftermarket alarm on the g35.
back to one of my problems
i did find out that with my lights off, my blinkers work fine but once i turn my lights on they go to hazard mode(blinking at the same time).