G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

clear or smoke bumper lights, that is the question..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2008 | 08:01 PM
it's safe to buy on ebay... just look at their feedback.

that seller has over 5600 positive feedback. I'm sure his corner lenses are fine.

plus... i could never find the blacked out corner lenses anywhere else

Old 12-05-2008 | 02:01 AM
ivory pearl car

any1 have pics of black and/ or clear corners on a white (or lighter) car?
as to the insurance claim, one must first determine the legality of these...
i assume u get off with a fix-it ticket?

Old 12-05-2008 | 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by 155Mph

Well, they are't legal period. In the US, you must have a yellow reflector on the front of the vehicle visible from the side. So even clear markers are not legal, let alone painted black ones. In fact, a lot of our lighting modifications that we do are not legal at all.

They do look damn good though, and i guess it's a measure of how "bored" the local police are to you and if someone stops you for it. I'm sure some guys will drive around years with them perfectly fine, and other guys would get stopped in a day. Up to you to decide if you want to risk it

Old 12-05-2008 | 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Well, they are't legal period. In the US, you must have a yellow reflector on the front of the vehicle visible from the side. So even clear markers are not legal, let alone painted black ones. In fact, a lot of our lighting modifications that we do are not legal at all.

They do look damn good though, and i guess it's a measure of how "bored" the local police are to you and if someone stops you for it. I'm sure some guys will drive around years with them perfectly fine, and other guys would get stopped in a day. Up to you to decide if you want to risk it
Insurance is not necessarily looking at legality alone when looking at claims-- my point was only that their actuarial data strongly suggests that the darker your car, the less likely you are to be seen by other motorists in the daytime; therefore, the higher the potential for being in an accident. I've poured many a body into a "casket" from the ER... so I have a different view of many of the mods posted and bragged about on here. What a cop, an MD, a nurse, a responsible parent, etc., will tell you/us us is: the bottom line is that most would rather be/look cool than anything else. A small fragile ego is the best anesthetic for dulling the pain of poor judgment (or stupidity for some).

Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2008 | 07:58 PM
well i like ppl to be able to c my car, but i've got an ivory pearl car, so that statistic may go to my benefit...
i kno that clear corners r illegal, but i just wanted to inquire as to what a bored cop could do...
would it most likely be a fix-it ticket or what?
and on the topic of legality of light mods, does any1 kno what the laws r regarding smoked head/ tail lights??
thx

Old 12-05-2008 | 09:01 PM
i kno that clear corners r illegal, but i just wanted to inquire as to what a bored cop could do...
would it most likely be a fix-it ticket or what?
and on the topic of legality of light mods, does any1 kno what the laws r regarding smoked head/ tail lights??
thx

A bored cop could do whatever he wants really. Walk up to any car in the parking lot. Chances are you could easily find something to give that person a ticket for. It more or less depends on how hard a cop wants to look.

As for light mods...you really can't change a thing period. Changing your HID's from 4300K to 6000K is even illegal as well as any LED mods and such. Basically you need to keep your lights the way they are from the factory.

As for tinted lights...illegal. Tinted brake lights are definitely illegal. In fact, if you are rear-ended, the other person could claim they couldn't see your brake lights and you could be found partially responsible. My friend works for an insurance company and this issue came up all the time when the Honda guys used to run those clear taillights with pink bulbs.

I'm not trying to dissade anyone from doing so. I will soon have modded lights too (6000K HID, 3000K fogs, LED reverse and plate lights) but just be aware that you could get your ***** busted if you find a bored cop one night or do something really stupid that calls attention to you.

Where i live, i've found through the expeirence of me and my friends that the cops tend to leave "cleanly" modified cars alone, while "loud" cars that really stand out are the ones that typically get busted for stupid things. I've actually run around for 8 years with no front plate on my cars and NEVER got pulled over for it. Meanwhile my friends used to get pulled over every few months for theirs. My point is there is no black and white for what will get you ticketed. As for the actual fine, i beleive it depends on the state laws.

Old 12-25-2008 | 11:52 AM
What paint did you guys use? Did you do it yourself? If, so what steps needed to be taken so it looks good? I just ordered my clear ones and I have a OB coupe.

Old 12-25-2008 | 12:01 PM
I have my bumper lights painted black!!! Like the car... what do u think???

Old 12-25-2008 | 12:12 PM
This was before i smoked out my blinker lights!!

and these are my smoked out tails... ( well kinda)

Last edited by TOPNOTCHSEDAN; 12-25-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-25-2008 | 12:49 PM
I've got clear corners on my Ivory Pearl.. ill post pics later today..I wouldnt smoke them or paint them if i were you.. cause it will contrast the white too much and make it even more noticeable for cops... and as far as the clear corners.. well they match the headlights so the car flows better..

Old 12-25-2008 | 01:19 PM
Took these pics with my camera phone so i apologize for the quality beforehand.

As oppose to the amber ones :

Old 12-25-2008 | 01:44 PM
Looks ok!!!...

Old 12-25-2008 | 04:23 PM
heres my smoked corners

Old 12-26-2008 | 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by NAT@FFTec
heres my smoked corners

are they overlays or were they purchased as is?

Old 12-26-2008 | 06:30 PM
nice

Originally Posted by ttrank
Mine are painted black inside and tinted on the outside. They look very dark but you can still see the strip of LED's very well when they are lit.

Can't get to photobucket at work so can't post a pic right now.
So Tim, its me again the other Tim. Did the LED strip come already installed in your corner lens?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: clear or smoke bumper lights, that is the question..