G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

05 G35X slipping question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i love my x in the snow! is it bad to leave snow mode on?? rather than turnin it off and on when u stuck?? and is it bad to use the car through the snow for extended period of times??

Old 12-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I've driven around for hours in snow mode. It just makes your gas pedal less sensitive and locks the torque split in at 50/50 from a dead stop. When the snow button is not on, you still have AWD.

If there is slick surfaces on the roads, i put it on....not just when i'm stuck. If there is a snowstorm and the roads are white or slush covered, i leave the button on.

If the roads are only wet, i leave it off. The AWD is plenty capable in normal mode. I've even driven up snow-covered hilly roads in normal mode just to see and it did fine.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove 6 hours through a constant 6-8 inches of snow from NY to Vermont. Snow mode on all the way. It really doesn't do much unless from a stop. I do like the numb gas pedal though even at higher speeds. Just be careful when you turn it it off. I end up giving it way too much gas the first few times from a stop.. I was going roughly 50-60 mph the entire way. No problems.

Around here I have driving on snow covered roads at least 3-4 days of every week just about lately. From a stop I just give it half gas, ignore the light if it blinks. The car stays straight and will just go. Better than most 4WD trucks with all seasons that is. It really is quite good in the snow. I do find I get a burning smell if the VDC is used a lot, which it has the last few weeks. The VDC turns on a lot even in little snow if you drive normal. The only way to stop it is to shut it off or drive like a grandma. Both not good options. I am sure the smell is from the brakes getting warm. The car handles the bad weather very well though.

My last two cars were a Subie GT manual, and a Audi A4 Quattro. I was very hesistant about this car in the snow since it is RWD most of the time. How much of the time was the question. In a snow storm it does in fact stay in AWD mode which is great. I am fine wiht it now. I have to say the Subie stayed in line without any VDC help as the AWD is ALWAYS on. It's nice to know at 60mph you have 50/50 all the time unlike this car. For example on a summer day in the Subie, back tires on gravel, front on pavement there was NO SLIPPING whatsoever (no vdc). However, this car is much much better all around. It does feel RWD in the dry. More comfy too. I do miss the manual though.

Before you all ask, I have brand new Bidgestone WS 50 Snow/Ice tires for winter use. I hated driving this car with all seasons in the snow. However, if I lived south I wouldn't bother with winter tires.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had a decent snow storm this past week and i decided to drive in snow mode around residential roads just in case. Even without snow mode on the car drove perfectly and wouldnt slip out.. only problem i had was when the roads were covered with a an inch of snow the car would not stop.. some idiot ran a stop sign and lucky he was turning onto the road i was going striaght on.. but if he decided to cross the road i would have T-boned him. Snow mode is great if your stuck in snow or coming off a dead stop.. after 40 mph i turn it off.. i actually dont like the dull pedal when snow mode is on..

I also have all season tires which arent the best.. but im not gonna bother getting snow tires on my stock rims till i get my new rims.. winter tires would def have helped me in my situation. We only get occasional snow storms so its not worth it

Last edited by AceG35X; 01-13-2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Wasnt finished