G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Is there a way

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a way

Has anybody remove tint from their car with a steamer before?

Last edited by eagleee; 12-12-2008 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:31 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
you peel it off...

Old 12-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
you peel it off...
Wow, really?

Old 12-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Pay a professional tint company to remove it.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
whhattt no way you should pay for that. Peel the tint right off... takes 4 seconds. Get some Glue remover (I used goo-gone) and a razor blade and scrap all the glue off. Time consuming but no way you should pay to have it done. I've done it before and have done a very good job. Only place where it is tough and I may suggest a professional is the rear window since the defroster bars are on there

Old 12-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by g35freak86
I may suggest a professional is the rear window since the defroster bars are on there

Which is why i suggested a pro.

Last thing you'd want to do is screw up the defrost lines.

Last time i inquired, a local shop wanted $40 to remove tint.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ I agree, but it's up to you if you want to tackle the job. you can save that 40 bucks and use it on something else. If you take your time and know what you're doing... it's easy.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:50 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I took mine off would rather pay 40$ next time

Old 12-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not worth messing up the defroster bars my man... and not for nothing.. but if you decide to spend the big sum of $40... make sure you get a pro to take it off and not your friends garage buddy.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I tried this once and ended up paying to have it finished because it was such a PITA. Money well spent!

Old 12-15-2008, 06:54 PM
IMO, i would only do the door windows and have a shop do the rear..

Old 12-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had to have my entire window tint removed this summer as the tint laws are more stringent & couldn't find a shop to pass me. I called 3 tint shops & nobody would remove the rear tint due to liability of the rear defroster and radio antenna embedded in the glass (they use razors).

I used some online instructions a friend on this forum sent me, which required pure ammonia, some plastic bags, some tape, 0000 steel wool and a plastic razor...I improvised and bought some liquid gel Goo Gone as well. Took me 2.5 hrs. total to remove the rear tint, but that included the car sitting in the sun for 1 hour with the ammonia applied to the rear film, so about 1.5 hrs. of labor.

Here are the instructions I used (Thanks John/"RXM"!):

*Materials*

- Warm sunny day
- Tarp
- Large plastic garbage bag
- Undiluted Ammonia
- Windex (a glass cleaner)
- Paper towels
- Fine steel wool
- Razor blades

*Tools:*

- Slotted Screwdrivers
- Phillips Screwdrivers

*Tips:* The difficult thing about removing tint is that most film is constructed of two layers of tinted polyester. When you try to peel the film off the glass, the top layer will usually pull right off leaving the second layer behind. This second layer will not peel off, it will just flake and tear like a price tag.

*Step 1:*
To over come separation between layers you must soften the adhesive so that both layers peel at the same time. This is very important, if you peel the just the top layer, you may as well just use razor blades as there is no way to peel the second layer off without picking at it for a few hours. You MUST try to peel both layers at once.

*NOTE:* You are more than likely to damage one or more of your defroster lines, when this happens, the cut line will not work anymore. Some cars have radio antennas mounted alongside the defrosters made of the same material.
If you damage these, your radio antenna will not work! Be careful! Taking it to a tint shop to be done greatly increases the odds of saving the lines, but even a tint shop can not promise to save your lines, sometimes the film is just to far gone.

*Step 2:*
First, clear the window of any obstructions, like the brake light, speaker covers etc.

*Step 3:*
Next cut open the garbage bag so that it will be big enough to cover the entire window. Spray some water on the outside of the back window and the lay plastic bag over the glass. Cut away excess plastic so that it is now roughly the same shape as the glass.

*Step 4:*
Next, lay a tarp over rear deck and seat, spray ammonia liberally on the inside of the back window. (Ammonia is very strong, I suggest you hold your breath during this step) and cover ammonia soaked tint with the plastic bag so that it won't evaporate.

*Step 5:*
Park the car with rear window facing the sun for about an hour. The film should now be ready to peel.

*Step 6:*
When you are ready to start peeling, leave the plastic in place so the ammonia wont dry. Get the peeling started with a razor blade in a corner where there are no defroster lines. Try to peel film off in one piece. If the ammonia dries as you peel, the glue will get hard again, so spray a bit of ammonia on the area as you peel.

*Step 7:*
Once the film is peeled you will need to scrub the adhesive off with ammonia and fine 0000 steel wool. Mop up scrubbed areas with paper towels before they dry. Finish up with window cleaner and paper towels.

*Step 8:*
Removing tint from side windows Soaking is not nessesary here. You may want to use a simple razorblade holder. Cut a notch onto the upper area of the film so that you have a piece to pull. Try to peel the film, it will probably come off in two or three pieces.

*Step 9:*
Spray the remaining adhesive with soapy water, and scrape the adhesive off with a razor blade, avoiding the edges of the glass until last to keep the blade sharp. You may need to use a few blades as they dull quickly.

*Step 10:*
Finish up with window cleaner and paper towels. Inspect for missed glue (its clear and hard to see)

This helpful article was provided by DoItYourself.com community member Ric Nelson.
https://www.sunsationalglasstint.com...8&type=article

Old 12-16-2008, 05:49 PM
i would look harder for a shop that would pass me. it sounds like a RIDICULOUS amount of work for making my car less hot. or more hot, depending on where you live. sorry for the pun. :P

Old 12-17-2008, 10:59 PM
make a good friend!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.