G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

painting the dark gray side sills ( ur advices)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
^^^ $1000? I got my window trim, door handles, side sills, bottom of front bumper, entire rear bumper, mirror frame and taillights painted for $1000.

just the side sills (plus front & rear lower) was only $250-$300.
This ain't Socal There isn't an auto paint, specialty, and/or tuner shop on every corner.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi again

I just come back from the dealer
He said:
the price would be 700$ for painting the sills and the bumpers
soooooooooo expensive
I will look for another shop

also he said there are some rubber strips at the bottom of the doors that cannot b painted ... but I'll be able to remove them.
have u guys tried to do something on them ?

thanks in advice

Old 12-17-2008, 12:52 AM
i feel like if a dealer wanted only 700 then you should be able to do much better through someone local... i wouldn't mention that to my girl though... id use it as an excuse to buy a compressor!

Old 12-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They can paint on any surface. If they say they cant they are stupid, incompetent or both.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by Timo
also he said there are some rubber strips at the bottom of the doors that cannot b painted ... but I'll be able to remove them.

thanks in advice
BS. I painted those gray rubber strip with black bumper paint (rattle can) which has flex in it. Worked out fine. The problem is, if you don't have black, then you are kind of screwed.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:23 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
BS. I painted those gray rubber strip with black bumper paint (rattle can) which has flex in it. Worked out fine. The problem is, if you don't have black, then you are kind of screwed.
mine is silver

I'll do a research 2moro

Old 12-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
This ain't Socal There isn't an auto paint, specialty, and/or tuner shop on every corner.
I don’t know what tuner shop has to do with it... but there must be auto body shops around... are you telling me everyone there repairs their own car if in a wreck?

It shouldn’t cost more than a few hundred bucks to paint the side sills.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:46 PM
I think DaveB is saying that there is a far more limited supply of auto body shops in the area which limits competition and increases prices.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Hi again

I just come back from the dealer
He said:
the price would be 700$ for painting the sills and the bumpers
soooooooooo expensive
I will look for another shop

thanks in advice
some people have had them painted - most shops recommend against it though since its rubber (the paint will crack).

Painting rubber is not a good idea - painting plastic is fine.

When you say you will remove it – I presume you mean for painting only… you definitely do not want to remove it for good.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by dmitriylm
I think DaveB is saying that there is a far more limited supply of auto body shops in the area which limits competition and increases prices.
still - $1K is ludicrous... even without a bunch of competition it shouldn’t cost more than a few hundred.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:59 PM
some people have had them painted - most shops recommend against it though since its rubber (the paint will crack).

Painting rubber is not a good idea - painting plastic is fine.

When you say you will remove it – I presume you mean for painting only… you definitely do not want to remove it for good.
I meant remove them completely ....but, I think sooo, it might be a bad idea

painting them is still the best solution .... im gana try it

Old 12-17-2008, 09:26 PM
i think most shops charge alot cus of setup costs...to spray once..my cusin said it costs about $100 with the proper stuff..plus the paint itself plus the labor? prep work n that stuff...?
they look at it at a base cost for the shop. plus labor.paint (do ur colors cost more?)
but ya if u can, do it yourself, learn a new skill..hell have a some new tools while at it for the price of a shop....

im at that dilemma right now too. got my oem aero kit front lip n guards...need to spray it a DP color. sold my compressor.n have a ok spray gun and no longer a place to spray.

plus its illegal to be spraying paint..u can get busted if someone rats on you. cus of the chemicals n stuff...as far as i know.i could be wrong...last i was told.

but if there's only a few shops where the OP lives, then its supply n demand. =) but the dealer doesnt wanna do it cus they know they'll have to re-do it if it messes up...they rather be "DUMB" and stick to their protocols.

as for the rattle can way..u can do it that way...u gotta be good at sanding,spraying.wet-sanding....i've seen some rattle can miracles..

Old 12-18-2008, 12:15 AM
still - $1K is ludicrous... even without a bunch of competition it shouldn’t cost more than a few hundred.
$1K is ludicrous. Even $500 is crazy, but $500 is pretty normal because you have to consider that prep is the most expensive part. I'd imagine that shop time for prep on two sills and the front/rear bumper covers is in the neighborhood of 3 to 4 hours. Then there's the labor to remove and install and paint. Figure $100 for supplies. Prep is the major part and that's how you get the paint to stick. It took me around 5 hours of prep (mostly cleaning, numerous times).

Old 12-18-2008, 01:08 PM
PREP is the killer...we re-did an accord interior,went from biege to black interior and cleaned all of the pieces...because of any residue,wax.dirt.grim..or anytihng can affect the results...

Old 12-18-2008, 03:41 PM
I meant remove them completely ....but, I think sooo, it might be a bad idea

painting them is still the best solution .... im gana try it
good luck, but I would not recommend painting them... unless your car is black - DaveB painted his, but you really would see any cracking anyway since his is black... if you have a light color car and your paint the rubber strip body color, there is a high likelihood it will crack/ship and you will see black under it.

I'm not telling you what to do - just suggesting not to paint it.. many of us have painted sides and left the rubber as is - looks fine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: painting the dark gray side sills ( ur advices)