G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Mitsu voiding warranty on tracked EVO's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitsu voiding warranty on tracked EVO's

http://forums.utahscca.com/viewtopic.php?t=302

Anybody who tracks an Evo, or any other new car for that matter, might want to look at this.

Old 06-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Mitsu voiding warranty on tracked EVO's

What do they expect some people to do if they sell a performance vehicle? Is driving to and from work the only "normal" use for this type car? I don't like it.

2K4 G35x/Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Premium/Wood
Stillen Hi-Flow/ Z tube/ Crawford V5/ Ground Kit

Old 06-05-2004, 04:24 PM

That a good point, I don't see Jeep and Land Rover voiding warrenty for people who take their car off roading now do we? I think the guy must have done something really wrong here to get it viod tho.

Old 06-05-2004, 08:47 PM

that sounds like the beginning of a rumor or urban legend. That doesnt even begin to make sense. You can beat the car on the street but not at an event?, thats illogical and wouldnt stand up in court...

Old 06-06-2004, 02:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What's next? Get a speeding ticket and manufacture voids your warranty for driving too fast? Gimme a break~ What the hell is the point of buying a car like the EVO if you can't even have fun with the car in a controlled environment? I knew something was up with their 10 yr warranty.

Old 06-07-2004, 02:25 AM

Give me a break. Where is the supporting evidence? Perhaps I could sell you guys some snake oil. Why believe some jackass on a forum just because he spits out some obvious b.s? There is no effing way that is true.

Old 06-07-2004, 03:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hate to be devil's advocate here but... don't most warranties state that they are voided when the car is used in racing events? You gotta pay to play, if you are racing your car and something breaks as a result, guess what, you broke it and it shouldn't be covered... This guy is making it sound as though Mitsu is just automatically voiding warrantys based on event registrations but I serioulsy doubt the validity of that statement. You'll notice that his son actually broke something while racing (sounds like he blew the engine based on other forum posts), and tried to get it repaired under warranty, so, it probably wouln't be too hard for the dealer to say 'you broke it' and in all honesty, they'd be wise to do that.

It prolly has a bunch of NOS stickers on it anyways, and no rear seats. It's a Mitsubishi for cryin' out loud.

...This guy bought the car with the full intention of it being a race event car and REALLY expected the warranty to remain intact? That's naive at best. He should have read the warranty details.

...It will still be up to the manufacturer to show that the problem was a direct result of a race but given that it WAS as a result of the event it probably wouldn't be that hard for them.

Jase aka Doogie
04 G35S

Old 06-07-2004, 06:35 PM

actually in reply to a post several posts up, Jeep (now daimler chrysler) IS INDEED denying warranty based on offroad evidence. My skidplates on my 2002 Liberty are very very damaged and the dealer denied me coverage on a poorly shifting front axle because of it. So I fixed it myself for 50 bucks and carried on. but they are denying coverage also.

It is all just big business.]

Me I would be proud someone wanted to race a car that I had built.

Better Life thru Chemistry
Black on Black 03.5 Sedan 6MT - Goodyear F1 GS-D3's 225/55/17, Custom Intake Tube, HyperGround Kit, Magnaflow resonator.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:37 PM

If this turns out to be true (and I've heard rumors elsewhere, but not investigated personally), then Mitsu has pretty much slashed their own throats for sponsoring any kind of grass roots racing events or series. Pretty dumb move, especially if you are trying to advertise as a sporty car company.

Old 06-08-2004, 02:40 AM

I autocross my car. Technically, you could say it's not racing, but more of a "timed, precision driving event." [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2004, 04:21 AM

Isn't that a little odd, Jeep shows in the comercials people off-roading their car and talking about how their cars are trail-rated, and how capable their cars is.. Yet when someone does it, they denied the person coverage. Odd I think.

Old 06-08-2004, 10:53 AM

This is nothing new. And it IS true. Mitshu dealerships have actually sent dealer personnel to drag strips to write down VIN numbers of cars participating. Say what you want about "driving the cars the way they were meant to be driven", but bottom line is that autocross and drag strip racing is VERY hard on your car. Take this from someone who has entered hundreds of these events. I have had the repair bills to know. You really can NOT blame a manufacturer. And the EVO can be very expensive to abuse, for example, the stock clutch is really not up to the horsepower.

One safety precaution I would recommend is removing your license plates prior to competition, and put a piece of tape over the VIN label on the dash.....to at least remove some chance of being ratted out.

And as far as a manufacturer not covering off road damage, what do you expect? If you backed your Jeep into light pole would you expect Jeep to warantee the dented bumper? So if you dent or damage it from underneath why should that be any different? For what it's worth, almost every time I do some real off-roading in my Grand Cherokee I break at least something.

And if you roll your car onto its roof into the ditch following the diving turn at Lime Rock, while at a "non-competitive" driving school, don't expect your auto insurance to pay off either.

If you wanna play, be ready to pay.

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 06-09-2004, 03:28 AM

EVO owners can sue Mitsu if they voided their warranty if they did take there cars to the track, cuz when the owners signed the paper there has to be something stating under the lines of your car's warranty will be voided if taken to the track. But if a part of the car was modified and it was the cause of the problem then yes Mitsu can void the warranty on that particular part of the car. Not only that if this is true, then Mitsu is doing this since they are now on their own, since Chrysler sperated from Mitsu, and I think Mitsu filed for bankrupty.

Shift_DEZ' NUTS
www.midnightimpulse.com
www.clubg35.com