G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Need your opinion on tires!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 04:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need your opinion on tires!

So I've decided I am going to run a 245/35/19 tire on the Nismo A34s that I am getting. Of course 19s have a hefty price tag and I don't have a whole lot of money.

After looking around and reading reviews I thought maybe Falken FK452s would be a decent tire to run. I've heard they're noisy but still a good tire.

So I went around to all my local tire places to get quotes. I walked into my local Autotire and asked him what the lowest price he could give me on 4 Falken Fk452s was. He said.. "What car do you drive?" I said a G35.

He then gave me a 10 minute lecture on buying cheap tires for nice cars. He told me I was doing a terrible thing buying crap tires for my car. He said, "Now lets be honest with yourself. You push it to the limit daily in your car. You take turns at high speed all the time" - I butted in and said "No actually I don't." He then looked at me and said "Come on. Of course you do. We all know if we drove a G35 that we would!" - I said "Well I don't. Is that what you think because I'm 18?" He was taken back by this and said "Look if you push it on cheap tires you'll end up hitting a tree"

He then tried to sell me T1Rs and Potenzas. Amazing tires, but I don't have the money for these shoes. I left politely and told him thank you for the quote on the Falkens that he never gave me.

My question for everyone out there is: what tire do you think I should run? What do you guys think of the Falkens or other so called "cheap tires"?

Thanks for any input and help, I really need it.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:52 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Falkens are decent. I don't like them. I have Potenza RE050A Pole Positions on my 19s. They are amazing, but seriously expensive.

I have Yokohama AVIDs on my stock 17s that I use for winter. They have been great. I pushed them pretty hard and they were quiet and gripped really well. I'd look at Yoko's.

Here is a cheaper place to get those TOYO's
http://www.tiredeals4less.com/search.cfm

How much are you looking to spend for all 4 tires?

Old 12-27-2008, 05:01 AM
Local place has a deal if you buy 3 you get 1 free. I'm not sure though with local places upcharging.

As far as how much I want to spend? As little as possible. But I don't want to put dangerously bad tires on...

Old 12-27-2008, 05:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I checked out the FK452, looks like an acceptable high-performance tire. I run Goodyear F1 GS-D3s, and they are *excellent* tires. The difference is about $100 per tire to upgrade from the Falkens to something awesome like the Goodyear F1s, Continental ContiSport 2s, or Bridgestone RE050s... so you'd be looking at $1100 instead of $700 or so for all 4 tires.

If you *really* can't afford the extra dough, then go with the Falkens. Find someone who won't lecture you about it. The next guy who pulls that hsit, you ask him if he wants your business or not, because those are the tires you want and you're not there for a driving lesson.

If you really want to save some money, look at Kumho tires (like the Ecsta MX or SPT), they're as good as the Falkens and cheaper. Either way, while you wear those out you can save up for some premium tires, then you'll see why many of us spend the extra money.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:22 AM
I really cant. I'm young and my job doesn't pay enough for everything I want Trying to get what I can with my money these last 6 months while I have a roof over my head that's paid for. Then I get kicked out for that college thing

The thing is that I *really* don't push my car. So I'm not too terrified of not having the best of the best tire on my car. Like I said. I just don't want them to fall apart and die in huge ball of fire.

Thanks for the advice though. I really appreciate it!

Old 12-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sell me your MD spacer, you don't need it since you don't push your car hard, and you could use the extra cash for tires! Better yet, don't waste your money on expensive rims, and instead buy some Kumhos in the stock size.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:46 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I drive like an old man in a hat and have been using the Kumho's KH16's-- very good tire (their upgrade is the KR21- but I'm not sure they make these tires in your size)-- quiet, smooth, excellent traction in wet/dry but so-so on ice and snow (all seasons rarely score high on ice and snow), corners very well and doesn't squel. Wear has been even for 30K miles so far and I'll likely get another 10-15K out of them. I recently installed the Falken 912's and they were <$450 installed. Reviews on it were excellent at Discount Tire and for the Kumho's they were also good on TireRack.

Educate yourself so that you don't have to rely on opinions. Good luck!

Last edited by Braintree; 12-27-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I always say you get what you pay for with tires.

I usually try to spend a little more on tires and get a good quality tire. It's not so much for taking corners at high speed, but i've found that tires that cost a little more tend to behave better in rain and wet conditions.

But i would have just gone to a different tire place. I NEVER bring a tire place my car. I take my wheels off, toss em in my pickup truck and drop off the wheels and tell them what tires i want. I had a bad expeirence once when i left them my car to put tires on. I'll never do it again