G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

want a lower ride

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2009 | 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by 4drmadness
btw how does handling decrease? i thought my handling would improve if i even went lower. i know the ride quality would suffer but dint know if handling would decrease.
after a certain amount of drop, the handling decreases. like everything in life too much of something is rather pointless after a certain threshold.

like tucking the wheels in on certain cars are rather completely pointless.

Old 01-18-2009 | 07:21 PM
|
^ Makes sense

Old 01-18-2009 | 07:27 PM
why would you think all these companies offer different heights and etc. its a different balance. the biggest drop from springs i think would be S-techs which are like 2.2 or something. Other then that its coilovers.

Old 01-18-2009 | 08:36 PM
I have no problems with my Eibach Sportlines, and the drop is great (for me). I do, however, scrape quite a bit, even my muffler scrapes when I back out of my driveway, without taking the right angle. Also, the ride is a bit bumpy, but worth the extra handling. I participated in two days of NASA HPDE driving @ PIR, and was actually impressed with how the car handled. My instructors were impressed, as well.

-Jerome

Old 01-18-2009 | 09:36 PM
i have tanabe df210 coupe springs on my g35 and i feel that it is the perfect drop if you are on a budget and want your car low. i would say it dropped my sedan at least 2 inches, and there is little to no finger gap on both the front and rear fender

on coupe 19s

on oem 18s

Old 01-18-2009 | 10:22 PM
I like that drop alot, do you have a camber kit on that?

Old 01-18-2009 | 10:23 PM
|
^ +1

Old 01-18-2009 | 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by g35freak86
this post is filled with very right and very wrong answers. Yes, coilovers are the best way to go. If you want to go lower, it's your best option. You will be able to pick exactly how high or low you want the car.

Part that is extremly wrong in the post is do NOT cut your springs. Worst possible thing you could do. Just downright dangerous. Maybe on a civic that would fly, but not here.
I don't encourage cutting or modifying the springs...its just what people do and thats a fact. I actually rode in a sedan with cut springs and the ride was terrible in which I mentioned above about ride quality.

I mean there are tons of people selling used basics for 550-650 range? Thats cheap when compared to was a shock and spring combo run new these days.

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2009 | 10:47 PM
Ybtw how does handling decrease? i thought my handling would improve if i even went lower. i know the ride quality would suffer but dint know if handling would decrease.
Going lower than 1" on the OEM shocks and suspension:

1) Removes too much wheel travel. This means the car will bottom out easier which isn't exactly something you want happening when you've got the car pushed hard in a corner or even going straight. It could either cause a loss of control or at best, blow out your shock

2) The suspension geometry is greatly compromised, especially when going lower than 1.5". The center of gravity is lower, but the roll center doesn't match up. Basically you get a car that has odd handling traits because the alignment specs, suspension angles, swaybars, etc aren't matched correctly to mess with the low drop.

Look at cars like the E46 or E90 M3s. They still have wheel gap, especially up front, but those cars handle flat out amazing and offer stellar ride quality as well. It takes major dollars to improve on the OEM setup and if you lower these cars with just a set of springs, you're taking a step backwards in terms of handling. I'm not saying the G's handling can't be improved a bit with a drop, but there really is a limit and a lot of performance cars have some wheel gap. No gap and tucking is more along the lines of the image of performance and not true performance. Basically you've compromised the performance for a look. I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by DaveB; 01-18-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2009 | 10:56 PM
^ i think you posted something like that years ago on maxima.org

Old 01-18-2009 | 10:59 PM
|
Originally Posted by DaveB
Going lower than 1" on the OEM shocks and suspension:

1) Removes too much wheel travel. This means the car will bottom out easier which isn't exactly something you want happening when you've got the car pushed hard in a corner or even going straight. It could either cause a loss of control or at best, blow out your shock

2) The suspension geometry is greatly compromised, especially when going lower than 1.5". The center of gravity is lower, but the roll center doesn't match up. Basically you get a car that has odd handling traits because the alignment specs, suspension angles, swaybars, etc aren't matched correctly to mess with the low drop.

Look at cars like the E46 or E90 M3s. They still have wheel gap, especially up front, but those cars handle flat out amazing and offer stellar ride quality as well. It takes major dollars to improve on the OEM setup and if you lower these cars with just a set of springs, you're taking a step backwards in terms of handling. I'm not saying the G's handling can't be improved a bit with a drop, but there really is a limit and a lot of performance cars have some wheel gap. No gap and tucking is more along the lines of the image of performance and not true performance. Basically you've compromised the performance for a look. I'll leave it at that.

hey dave, thanks for the info, btw i see that you have z springs as well. are you using the z shocks/struts as well?

Old 01-19-2009 | 12:22 AM
hey dave, thanks for the info, btw i see that you have z springs as well. are you using the z shocks/struts as well?
I'm on the Sport shocks. When they wear out, I'll probably buy a look mileage set of Z shocks. The advantage of the Z shocks is that their housing are shorter which restores some of the lost wheel travel.

Old 01-19-2009 | 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
^ i think you posted something like that years ago on maxima.org
I probably did because I had 4 different suspension setups on my Maxima and I learned first hand the negatives of going too low. It was an expensive learning experience.

Old 01-19-2009 | 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by Hossmaxima
I like that drop alot, do you have a camber kit on that?
no camber kit

Old 01-19-2009 | 02:30 AM
|
Originally Posted by NAT@FFTec
no camber kit

how much were those springs?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: want a lower ride