G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Audio / Video Help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio / Video Help please

OK so my G's Bose stereo is on its way out. Hardly ever plays CD's, especially CD-R's. So I want to get a DD unit. I found a awesome deal on an AVIC-700BT (navigation unit). So my question is, is this install any different from a normal head unit? Do I have to run extra cords and such for the Navi or are DD units all self contained. In my younger days I used to install stereos, but never anything like this. Just wondering if its just as simple as wiring up the constant, ground, and ignition wires and wiring the speakers (just like a normal head unit)? Sorry I have searched and I found the video for the DD install but they really just take you through taking apart the dash. Any help would be appreciated.

Here what I assume I need:
-Head unit
-DD Metra Kit (only cause I found it in black)
-Amplifier integration harness

Am I missing anything?

Old 02-06-2009, 06:11 PM
don't do the metra kit, the buttons look REALLY cheap. i bought one and sold it that night on ebay. you may want to look into getting a pac, so you can retain your steering wheel controls. i bought one but it was so cold when i did my install(mid dec. in MA), that i decided to wait till spring. i MISS my steering wheel controls SO MUCH. you may also want to think about if you want to do aftermarket speakers, or re use the bose speakers. you can get a part to keep using the bose, and i know they sound nice, but honestly they sound like a$$ compared to a decent pair of components, or even some coaxials. if you decide to do coax. / components, you want to get a four channel, rca's and power and ground. i'd do the whole bit, if i were you. the difference between good, better and best are all leaps and bounds... even if your best is cheaper and not as extensive as the next guys, the sq is still better with a component system.

btw you may want to move this thread to audio/video for more answers from more knowledgeable people.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah I know the metra looks cheap, but finding a black kit is tough. Also about the speakers. I know you are right, but im on a strict budget so it looks like ill be keepinig the BOSE. The integration kit should be the part I need to keep using the BOSE speakers, correct? If mods wanted to move this to the A/V section that is fine. I only ever use the sedan part of the forum and trust peoples opinions here, that why I posted it here.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:33 PM
sounds good... one thing you could consider doing is peicing together a system bit by bit on the forum, that's what i did, except for the components, which i bought at tweeter when it went out of business... the total cost breakdown was very reasonable:

400 - avic
185 - JDM DD
30 - PAC
80 - hideaway sirius reciever
30/ea - two four channels
subs were 75 in a prefabbed box
80 - two 4 gauge amp kits
can't think of anything else, but the general idea i'm trying to get across is that if you really want to do it you def can, you just have to have patience. however if you just want the instant gratification of a DD, go for it, i get that too... looks nice, def wil work better, and i'm sure the sq will be much better than what you have better.