G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

TPMS light came on. How do you know which sensor is broken?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TPMS light came on. How do you know which sensor is broken?

I have all 4 tires inflated to 37psi and the tpms light comes on after driving for about 30 min. How do I know which one is causing the problem?
Thanks!

Old 02-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have to take it in to have them looked at, I don't know how to tell

Old 02-06-2009, 08:11 PM
The guy I bought the wheels from told me that they had tpms but I dont know how to check. Is there a easy way to see if tpms is on the wheel?

Old 02-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not that I'm aware of. It's actually on the inner barrel of the wheel. Why don't you just take it to the dealership...

Old 02-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you have aftermarket wheels correct? i didnt put tpms on my new wheels and after about 30 min of HIGHWAY driving, the low air light comes on. im just guessing, but you probably dont have them on the wheels. that or they arent paired with your car yet. take it to the dealership, but be prepared to pay a ridiculous price.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by TheTick
The guy I bought the wheels from told me that they had tpms but I dont know how to check. Is there a easy way to see if tpms is on the wheel?
The TPMS have to be set to work with your specific car. If you bought the rims from someone else they are set for their car. Go to the dealer and have them set, but I believe this is not cheap.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TheTick
Just look at the valve stem, the TPMS stem will not be made of rubber, as in most cars, it will be a small metal tube coming out of the rim. To check for a broken sensor, the dealership (or any descent auto shop- even Sears or PepBoys) will simply walk by each tire and place a small sensor near each one to check the radio frequency signal going to the ECU.

The most typical problem will be a dead or dying battery on the sensor. Batteries are designed to last 5-7 years, some may go sooner. They're now working on batteryless sensors, but they are not OEM yet, you have to buy them separately.

If your car is manufactured after 2007, TPMS is federally required.

Last edited by Braintree; 02-06-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:10 AM
From what you have already written, there is no reason to assume you don't have the sensors. You probably do, as the seller had said. But as suggested above by diablo, the radio transmitters have to be synched to the computer in your car(that is why the guy next to you on the freeway with a flat won't alert your system).

From other reading I have done, you definitely have to have a dealer take care of this for you. Some have suggested that it could be negligible if you have any kind of relationship with the dealer (go there for service enough).

I have read that some tires cannot accept the sensors. People with those wheels just live with the light, aside from the people who have gone through measures to "make it go away". I cannot give credit to the proper person, but I did read through his DIY where he basically took apart the console to put black electrical tape over the light so they wouldn't have to see it all the time.

Call a dealer ahead of time so you aren't shocked by the price.

I did a quick search here. Someone said they went to a nissan dealer who would do it for $75, but that they thought Infiniti would do it free. Another said Nissan would honor it.

Good Luck.

Report back a price to this thread if they come up with it so it will be easily searchable.

Dave

Old 02-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Go to a local oil change shop and get it removed for free, thats what i do free checkup and they remove for free

Old 02-07-2009, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by kayveeee
Go to a local oil change shop and get it removed for free, thats what i do free checkup and they remove for free
Remove what?

Old 02-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
the light

Old 02-07-2009, 12:21 AM
The light resets itself every time you turn the car off. It then comes back on after you drive 30+ miles. I don't have TPMS on my aftermarket rims and this happens every day to and from work.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks for all the great info guys. They are oem 19's and they don't have a rubber stem so I'm guessing the tpms is on there. I can live with the light, but I'll check with the dealer and see if it's worth it.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:32 AM
Originally Posted by 5150DS
Remove what?
Kayvee was suggesting having the bulb removed so the light cannot turn back on since he is riding without sensors and doesn't want the light on all the time.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:34 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Removing the light requires that you literally pull the dash out, isolate the light and remove it (I can't imagine having the oil change guys doing this)-- the cost could be twice the check for the sensors. In addition, you're looking at a federal violation (sort of like removing your emissions system) since tire pressure is associated with car accidents. If you got into a wreck and the fault was yours and it was discovered that you had done this, you would be found negligent and your insurance could drop you.

The TPMS service check should cost you <$25 since it takes <5 minutes to do all 4 tires. You can buy used sensors on Ebay for 1/3 the price new (<$30 apiece).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TPMS light came on. How do you know which sensor is broken?