G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 Auto/ 6 M.T. differences.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Auto/ 6 M.T. differences.

I was wondering what the real world performance difference in acceleration is between the auto and 6 M.T. I 'd rather get the facts from you owners rather than exaggerated mag times. I hurt my back recently and need more room and comfort to manuver in and out of the car. I like the auto as it eleviates the need to use my left leg for the clutch. I test drove the two a year ago before I ended up buying my RX8 6M.T.and I thought the auto had a little more kick, although in reality the auto will help more, especially if your inexperienced with a new car. I thought about other cars such as the Max and Altima but couldnt justify spending the same or more for less performance. I liked the 04 TL but the dealers are bastards(MSRP ONLY) and the car is out of my price range. They are also having alot of transmission problems with the autos, similiar to the problem they were having with the earlier models. So the G35 sedan seems to be my best bet and since the 05's are on the way, a good deal might be possible.

Old 06-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: G35 Auto/ 6 M.T. differences.

well straightline, the two are real close. I ran a best of 14.4 at 99 stock in my 6mt. That was with tire shredding launches of about 2.2 60' times.

i ran that at 100 degrees at 1200 feet altitude, so that corrects to a 14.2x @101. I am an average to good driver not excellent. With that trap (99) I should be able to turn a 14.1 at altitude and a 13.9 at sea level/75 F. Assuming a picture perfect launch (1.9/2.0 60 foot)

since then i have improved dramatically in my driving but I changed tires from stock to Goodyear GS-D3's in a 225 size. therefore my times since then are irrelevant to your comparison

In the curves as long as the driver is smooth, there is no comparison, the 6mt can keep it in the right gear with instant response at any time. The auto will always lag just a bit as the T/C is unlocked most of the time.

at sea level I read about a 5AT G sedan running a 14.0 on a 35 degree day.with his snow tires for traction. That was about the best you will see out of a stock 5AT.

Better Life thru Chemistry
Black on Black 03.5 Sedan 6MT - Goodyear F1 GS-D3's 225/55/17, Custom Intake Tube, HyperGround Kit, Magnaflow resonator.

Old 06-21-2004, 11:21 PM

Great reply. I love to shift, it always made me feel more connected with the car. With the minor differences aside save for cornering, I think the auto is best for me. I have herniations and sciatica running down my left leg, so not having to use a clutch anylonger will save me a lot of aggrevation. The G35 seems like the best choice and will give me the extra comfort and room that I need while being a performance oriented drivers car. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with 3point5. The MT affords better control under certain conditions and is very important in cars with less torque or different powerbands. There are some that call down anyone with an AT as being a non-enthusiast, but don't let that bother you.

The difference in actual performance in the G is less, and though I love to shift for myself as well, I find that the 6MT is a bit notchy feeling, especially the 2-3 shift. Also of concern are all the threads re clutch replacements and tranny issues on the MT. The AT shifts a bit slow in manual mode as do most similar trannies of other makes, but there are some improvements to be had there as well.

Sounds like you'd do better with the AT. I've rarely regretted having my AT over an MT in the 2+ years I've had my G. Mind you, the 6MT wasn't available at the time, so I'm not sure which way I would have gone![img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>[i]GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 06-22-2004, 12:41 PM

On the track or empty twisty roads the MT is definitely better. But, for everyday driving and comfort, the AT is the way to go!!! Plus, all your stop light races will be consistent

03.5 G35S 5AT - Desert Platinum/Graphite/350Z Tube/Clear corners/HG kit/20% Tint

Old 06-22-2004, 12:48 PM

2005 models will go up in price and dealers will not give as much off as 2004's, so you'll have to keep that in mind as well.

I agree. On the track, my car stays in the higher gear even when I'm in manual mode. I have to hit the brakes sometimes before it "allows" me to downshift. I guess my RPMs are too high so it doesn't want my to hit the rev limiter. I wish I had a manual.

It's still a G thang!!

Old 07-06-2004, 04:49 PM

Don't they have a flash for the transmission shifting points? I thought I read a few people were getting the transmission reflashed because of the lethargic shift points. The auto sedan might not be and enthusiast car to the 6 M.T. owners but compared to a Honda, Acura, Toyota, Mitsu,Mazda 6 and many other cars the G35 certainly is and enthusiasts car. I dont think it will be quite as much fun as my RX8, but I'm trading for comfort and a auto Trans, so the transition to this car won't hurt as much compared to owning the others. Who know's I might even be happier.