G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 Sedan vs. Leg GT Ltd.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G35 Sedan vs. Leg GT Ltd.

sorry this will be a very biased opinion

one great thing about the g35 is the great low end torque. even at 1k, i can just let the clutch out slow and still go uphill easy.

my other choice was a sti, which is a sick *** car taht would kill mine easy in terms of speed. the name, luxury, and the low end torque of the g won me over tho. next time you test drive, dont launch, just check the pull at 1-2k. for a v6, its awesome.

another thing is, does anyone even remember what the last legacy looks like? these cars are hot for a while, but go out of style quick. im not sure if the g35 will fade as fast. for all us g owners on this forum tho, i hope not.

2004 TB Coupe 6MT

Old 08-07-2004, 09:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello all,

I saw this thread and I had to sign-up and post. I currently drive a 2001 Saab 95 so I have no vested interest in the either of these cars. My lease is up in a few months and I have been looking at (and mostly driven – sorry sales reps!) a whole bunch of cars including:

Nissan Maxima, Murano & Altima
Acura TL, TSX, MDX
Lexus GS430, RX330
MB 320, 2000 E55 AMG (wow, what a rush)
Subee 05 legacy GT
Audi 2002 S4/A6
Saab 2003 Aero 95
Infiniti FX 35/45 & G35s
BMW 330i

I recently took a test drive in the G and in an 05 Legacy GT. Here are my thoughts:

05 Legacy: Big, big step up from the 04’s. When I test drove the prior version I put it in a 4 wheel slide in a pretty basic curve at a fairly reasonable speed. It was just not acceptable in the turns. The new version holds the road much better. It is also very fast and pretty quiet. I really like the new interior but it is still not on par with Acura/Lexus/Audi. But very, very nice for $30k.

The downside: the AWD seemed to display FWD characteristics. It almost seemed like it had torque-steer for just an instant when I hit it hard. The wheel pulled when I hammered it – especially around a corner. The steering was just not right. The rear never slipped out like the G does, but I felt like the car was being pulled and over-steered some. I just had trouble putting the car exactly where I wanted it.

Additionally, it had way too much turbo lag. Having driven a Saab, I am used to Turbo lag. Trust me. I am tired of it. I love the torque you get from Turbo, but the lag- yuck! The Subie had too much lag.

The G: much truer handling. The car went wherever I pointed it. It was faster and more comfortable. I felt less isolated than in the Subie. I like the interior and exterior styling and the size much better.

On the downside: I will have to get used to RWD in the snow. Living in Indiana, we get a little ya’ know? So I have already decided if I get the G to buy some snow tires. Also, I don’t care for either car’s stereo. The Bose is muddy and seems to miss a whole piece of the middle spectrum. I may replace the stereo system regardless of which car I get. Maybe a G with the base stereo and I will add an amp, sub and replace the speakers.

Regardless, the G handled better IMHO. Faster, especially off the line, and pulled better 40-80 mph. Also, the G handles acceleration round a corner (like quickly turning out of a parking lot onto a busy street) much better.

And looks, the G is much better looking.

Those are my opinions.

Now Flame Me! :-)

Claire

Old 08-07-2004, 10:01 AM

Nice unbiased comparison...you should post this in the Subaru Legacy GT Forum as well; I'm sure they would like to hear your commentary ;-):

http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.p...dd83eeb7627b5b

Good luck on your decison!!!

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter

Old 01-16-2005, 03:06 AM
[QUOTE=dbarnes]Microscope:

The G35 is the reigning King of The Hill in it's class - hands down, inarguable, as ascertained by the guys who evaluate cars for a living (and, incidentally, worship at the altar of all things BMW) - virtually every car magazine on the planet has said this - how can anyone WHO DOESN'T EVALUATE CARS FOR A LIVING argue this point (and still claim to have a modicum of intelligence) ?. The Subaru, to this point, doesn't get the job done - period, end of statement.

Actualy, the alter worshippers chose a scubie over a 3 series here:

C&D Comparo

So far, we have established that C&D will pick a G35 over a 325i, and a WRX over a 330....hmmmm, methinks I smell an upset.

(Course, I'll probably still wind up getting the G35...it is a sexy beast....)