G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 Sedan vs. Leg GT Ltd.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G35 Sedan vs. Leg GT Ltd.

Subaru vehicles also have very high quality, and this Legacy is a big leap forward from the old one. It is the 03-04 Japanese car of the year, defeating popular cars like Honda Accord(Acura TSX in the U.S.) and Toyota Prius. The only thing I dislike is that navi is not available yet for the new Legacy yet.

2003 Infiniti G35 sedan Twilight Blue/Willow, 5AT, premium, sunroof, winter, HIDs, navi.
2004 Lexus RX330 FWD wagon Flint Mica/Light Gray, premium plus, navi, Mark Levinson, rear DVD.

Old 06-23-2004, 08:16 PM

I appreciate the feedback on my question. Doesn't make the choice any easier. In the end, my choice isn't coming down to pure speed but overall performance, quality and refinement. Speed is certainly nice, but I will spend 95% of my miles just driving from A-B.

FYI - From a safety standpoint, the GT has been receiving EXCELLENT ratings in other markets where it has been out for over 12 months. Japan (COTY), Austraila (5 star safety rating) and Europe (picked over the Audi A4 and I believe a BMW in a wagon comparo). Subaru had to start somewhere and it looks like they have done a nice job. I will have to tune in to all of the nuances that others have been pointing out.

Bsgorgen, I think it is time you got over yourself. Time to take off the rose colored glasses. I would have to say that you are deluding yourself if you really feel that Infiniti is somehow in the class of BMW and Mercedes when it comes to true cache. I would have to point out that up until the G35 came out, Infiniti was so far off the map that the only way they were moving cars was with HUGE discounts. If you had gone on a BMW board even 18 months ago (before the 6sp was released), you would have received the same response to your question that you gave to mine. They would have told you to stop being so cheap and spend the extra money to buy a real car, a 330i.

The G35 is a very nice car, which is why it is in my final two, but by no means do I think it is a true poseur car. It is a responsive, reliable, sports sedan that has some class. I can buy one for $32,000 versus $28,000 for the GT. The extra $4,000 hardly makes me, or you, the King of Bling.

Old 06-23-2004, 08:19 PM

I think that the Legacy GT Sedan is real close to G at least when comparing features, engine performance, price etc. I'm not really a snob about the nameplate of my vehicle (I was perfectly fine driving around in a Suzuki when it was all I could afford). What got me to sign on the Infiniti dealer's line was the fact the G had more room and the fact the VQ engine is one of the finest, most durable engines ever made.

2004 G35 Sedan Ivory Pearl/Willow Sunroof/Sirius

Old 06-23-2004, 09:20 PM

bsgoren, not putting down the G35, my wife has one and it is nice. I think you should sit in the new Legacy GT and go for a drive. I drove the manual and leather version and it is WAY quicker at all times than the G35. Plus the interior is a step or two above the G. As for reliability I would put it on par with Nissan, Toyota, and Honda. No special love for Subaru, it was just a better drive than the G.

When in doubt keep an open mind and enjoy the drive!

2004 Sedan -- 3M Clear Bra - Bought on eBay and DIY -- Rocky Mounts bike racks!

Old 06-23-2004, 10:23 PM

To each his own. Go for it! Maybe you should seek advice though on SubaruLegacyDriver.com :-)

Thanks, but I don't think I "need to get over myself" as I've owned many different cars from a Datsun/Nissan 280ZX, an Oldsmobile Delta88, a Nissan NX2000, to a Lexus SC Coupe and RX300. Our family drives Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Acura, and Hummer (though don't ask me why my brother drives that 10 mpg H2???). I think I know quality cars (and Mercedes is slipping big time, btw). My wife and I were strictly a Lexus family (excluding the co. car - the Taurus ;-) until recently; now we're an Infiniti family and I've heard the same from others.

Recently, we chose the Infiniti FX35 with Prem, Sport, and Tech packages and my new company car is the '04.5 Infiniti G35 pictured below (my previous co. car was a '00 Ford Taurus). Ultimately, I chose the Infiniti over the Acura TL, BMW 330i, and Mazda 6s for the reasons I've already stated (and especially after driving a loaner G35 sedan when our FX was in for an oil change) and because I needed the Navi system. While it's true Nissan/Infiniti has made an incredible comeback from near bankruptcy to an award-winning, leading car mfgr., there are definite reasons for this, and although possible, I highly doubt Subaru will do the same since they haven't done so in 18 years or more (unless they start a lux division too ;-). Driving a new Infiniti G35 is like driving a Z (well, technically it really is a 4-door 350Z), and Z drivers are a unique and proud bunch.

As you probably already know, Infiniti is Nissan's lux brand, Lexus is Toyota's lux brand. If you look at all the C&D, MT, Automobile Mag, and JD Power articles, ratings, C&D's 10-Best, MT's Car of the Year, etc., you'll see these 4 lux brands go head-to-head against each other. Lately, Audi, Volvo, and Acura are in the mix as well. Just look at the Lexus RX330, Infiniti FX35/45, BMW X3/X5, Mercedes ML350, and the Acura MDX. Look at the Lexus ES330/IS300, Infiniti G35, BMW 3 Series, Mercedes C Class, Audi A4, and Acura TL. Look at the Lexus GS300/430, Infiniti M45 (newly redesigned for '05), BMW 5 Series, Audi A6, and Mercedes E Class. Again, look at the Lexus LS430, Infiniti Q45, BMW 7 Series, and Mercedes SL Class. These are just the sedans and SUVs (not to mention the coupes and convertibles) all competing with each other in this segment. Not to mention, the Audi A4, A6 (also newly redesigned for '05), and A8. Then, there's the Volvos and Acuras. See the trend...there's no Subaru in this segment and I doubt there ever will be in the U.S. market (maybe in other countries?).

As you and others have said, I'm sure this new Subaru Legacy GT is a much improved and refined sports sedan from its predecessor, but it's just not in the same market segment...it's probably marketed more toward those people looking at the Honda Accord, the Nissan Altima, the new Volvo S40, the Toyota Camry SE, the Acura TSX, etc. Granted, it may blow these cars away with it's higher quality interior and speed (except for the Altima 3.5SE), but take it for what it is...a $28k Subaru. Either way, it doesn't matter to me personally what you get. If you think the G35 is best for you, then get that, or if you feel better about the Subaru, then go for it already, get the Subaru Legacy GT, add as many mods as you like, blow away a few G35's, and feel better about your decision. As you pass us by in your new Subaru (maybe/maybe not), we'll still be smiling, having a blast in our 350Z's...I mean Infiniti G35 Sedans and Coupes!!!!!

BTW - after seeing our Infiniti FX35, my neighbor just traded in his 3 Series Bimmer for an FX35. I am not a big fan of the BMW 3 Series (other than the M3 which is very expensive); I might like the new redesigned 3's when they come out. My brother (who's always had BMWs, Mercedes, and even had a 300Z Twin Turbo) currently has a 530i (I think it's ok; a bit underpowered but nice) and he says he'lll be trading it in for a new 6 Series, 7 Series, or the new Infiniti M45 at the end of the year...he refuses to get another Mercedes and likes his car to be a bit sportier than the Lexus blend of sportiness and comfort. So, he's narrowed it down to another Bimmer or an Infiniti.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 06/23/04 08:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-24-2004, 07:05 AM

I can't believe I missed this car in all the comparision tests that the G was picked in. You know Car & Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend. I don't remember a Subaru in any of them??? How did I miss that??? Oh, and what year was this car a C&D ten best and MT car of the year? I just can't remember.

2004.5 AT Sedan DG Premium Sport<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by G4me on 06/24/04 04:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-24-2004, 07:49 AM

It was just released, smarty pants. The sedan hasn't even reached most dealers yet.

Really, living your life by magazine reviews can leave you 3 months behind...

Old 06-24-2004, 08:00 AM

You have seemed to miss the point entirely.

2004.5 AT Sedan DG Premium Sport

Old 06-24-2004, 08:06 AM

I don't believe I did, unless you are very heavily veiling your intentions. The fact is that this particular Legacy couldn't possibly have been included in contention for any of the lists or accolades you mentioned, because it hadn't been released. Just like the G35 wasn't on the 10 best list (or even in contention) of MY '02 cars. If that was what you were trying to indicate, then I agree with you.

Old 06-24-2004, 08:24 AM

No Subaru, as far as I am aware of, has ever been included in a "Near Luxury Performance Car" review. I amazed at its sudden elevation in status on these boards just because of a very fast (and very ugly) car (the STI). In my opinion its just not in the same class as the G.

2004.5 AT Sedan DG Premium Sport

Old 06-24-2004, 09:25 AM

Bsgoren

You are making it sound like Infiniti is the best car on the market. This is my second Infiniti (90 Q45 was the first), and while they are nice cars for the money - they are still a NISSAN!!!!

A bet most of us (if we were willing to spend a few more $$) would choose another brand over any Infiniti!!!

03.5 G35S 5AT - Desert Platinum/Graphite/350Z Tube/Clear corners/HG kit/20% Tint

Old 06-24-2004, 09:38 AM

Hey, this guy (who now changed his name to blank, for obvious reasons, ha, ha) is a real comedian...

He takes my quote and inserts a few other cars and pretends he got the quote from somewhere else. Dude - If I wanted a Bimmer, I would have got one (as a bonus, my company told me to get what I wanted)...not interested in a design that's been around for many years. I like the G35 better -- I think it looks nicer, it handles just as well, it's faster, it's safe, the braking is just as good if not better, the Navi system is better, and my company pays for it. BTW - the G35 Sedan beat out the BMW 325 (didn't test the 330i due to it's much higher base price), Acura TL, Lexus IS300, and a few others in a recent C&D comparo.

Sorry you were offended, but I think you really might get more appreciation on a Subaru Forum (if there even is one out there). I have a feeling this thread will be closed; it does seem kind of pointless arguing with someone on G35Driver.com (a G35 enthusiast's Web site) who is not yet a G35 Driver.

It does sound like a good buy...a lot of bang for the buck, but once again, it's still a Subaru. In addtion, I think the average price for a loaded G35 Sedan is around $35k...$7k more than a Subaru Legacy is a significant 25% increase. There certainly are a lot of less expensive, powerful cars on the market which I would rather rent when I'm out of town on business than own or drive everyday. Hey, my last company car was a '00 Ford Taurus with no ABS and only fd and fp airbags, but it was free for almost 4 years. From the other posts, it does seem as if this new '05 Subaru Legacy is a much improved car and one we could hear more about, but I still doubt I'll see more Subarus on the road and I still doubt it will rise to a higher level to compete with Infiniti and the rest of the lux brands.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter

Old 06-24-2004, 10:09 AM

Hey, if I could afford a Ferrari, a Porsche, a BMW 7 Series, or my company would pay for one, I'd be happy to drive one (more so than my G35) and I'm sure my wife would get over the fact that the Ferrari has no back seat for our 2-year-old ;-).

No, the Infiniti G35 is not the "best" car on the market, and yes it's made by Nissan. I do think it's great for the price, it has a lot of good features, it has an award-winning engine, and it is perceived to be of higher quality than other brands because it's an Infiniti. Think about this way...does Nissan want the G35 and the Altima 3.5SE and Maxima to compete with each other? No. Do they want the Maxima and the new M45 to compete with each other? No. Market segmentation tries to differentiate one from the other. Infiniti is perceived to be of higher quality and does not directly compete with below-lux brands. There are of course, plenty of people that buy/lease cars that are similar in style, features, performance, etc. as others cars they're considering which are in a different market segment. It happens.

I seriously considered the Mazda 6s...this is a great car, but it's in a different market segment than the Infiniti G35. I liked the drive, the styling, the features, the 5AT MM shifting, but it didn't have a Navi system option and it's fwd. It competes more with the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, Ford Taurus, etc. It does not directly compete with the Infiniti G35, which I perceive to be a better, higher-quality car with more power and better features than the Mazda 6s.

I've had 3 Lexus vehicles which are also considered to be some of the best mainstream lux vehicles in on the market, competing with the other lux brands, and they're made by Toyota. My point is just that the Infiniti brand competes with the other lux brands like Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Acura, and Volvo. Subaru does not. I would be shocked if anyone disagrees with me on this.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter

Old 06-24-2004, 10:20 AM

Bsgoren, Aqcats here. Not sure why my username didn't come through. Not trying to be covert or a comedian, just to get informed feedback on the G35 versus a new car.

I apologize that my obvious "rebadging" of your remarks went over your head, not pretending anything. The Infiniti info was inserted into YOUR remarks to prove a point about what others MAY have said 3 years ago if you asked "Infiniti G35 vs. 328i".

Are you aware with all of your car knowledge (10 lb. ft = much lower torque, A4 has a 1.7L, etc.) that the G35 is known as a NISSAN Skyline in Japan? Or that Acura and Lexus just recently started to be named as such in Japan? Mercedes are taxi's in Germany? Also, keep in mind that the only reason the G35 sedan made the C+D 10 best list 2 years ago (when it was auto only) was on the back on the 6sp. Coupe. Listen to Typhoon!

I am hoping that you can exit the post so I CAN get some feedback on my question. Why should I have to go to legacysti.com to get my info and comments on a G35? Isn't that why there is a g35driver.com site? I think that there is some "tire dressing to impress the valets at the frou frou restaurant" post at bling.com.

Smarmy3seriesdude also posted;
"It does sound like a good buy...a lot of bang for the buck, but once again, it's still an Infiniti. In addtion, I think the average price for a loaded 328i Sedan is around $35k...$7k more than a G35 sedan is a significant 25% increase."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Sedan vs. Leg GT Ltd.