G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 Sedan vs. Leg GT Ltd.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G35 Sedan vs. Leg GT Ltd.

I would appreciate any non "BS" feedback on the G35.

A few questions.

Do the owners in the northern climes switch over to snow tires for the winter months or do you stay with the stock all seasons? I have heard mixed reports on this and was curious if the traction control system (not available on the GT) can get you through.

For auto-xing and track days. Do you leave the VDC on or off during your events? Does it kick in later than normal to allow more spirited driving or does it come on early to save you from yourself. The GT doesn't have a stability control package which I think is a big plus for when my wife is driving the car.

The 04's now come with improved brake materials. Has this solved the wear problems that Infiniti was covering under warranty. Haven't read anything recently on this front and wanted to get some feedback from newer owners.

Thanks

Old 06-24-2004, 10:38 AM

Hey if Suburau can come up with a G competitor more power to them. If the engine is horizontally opposed then it's not even close. Only RWD type AWD systems are going to get much attention from real sports sedan enthisiasts not to mention this car will be FWD if offered with out AWD. Not good enough and this board is not going to buy into subbie fun any time soon - unless they put up some product. The FM platform is not so easily surpassed by the whims of interior designers...better interiors than the G can be had in many downscale cars...it's not a lux car it's a sports sedan with the emphasis on sports!

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan (E-thing but Nav)
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 06-24-2004, 10:59 AM

Aqcats -

What feedback are you looking for here at G35Driver.com? This is an Infiniti G35 enthusiast's Web site...it seems like you're just looking for a fight. The best thing you can do is just go drive both cars and pick the one you like best...it's that simple. Or, do a bit more research online and in mags, and then go drive both cars again, but please don't pick a fight with those of us who drive this fine vehicle...it's just stupid. What do you want to know about the G35 vs. the Subaru Legacy??? The G35 is a great car....that's it. I haven't driven the Subaru Legacy GT; others who have say they're impressed too. I say "that's fine but it's just not comparing apples to apples." Maybe you should spend more time on that very helpful Subaru Forum you mentioned or the Honda Accord Forum, or any other Car Forums that truly compete with the Subaru Legacy.

If you decide on the G35, then come on back to G35Driver.com for congrats and discussion about your new vehicle. If not, then "take it easy, have fun, and enjoy!"

...and yes, I knew all those things about the car mfgr's (and how their cars are badged and used in other countries) but most of us, if not all of us here on this Forum are in the U.S. in case you didn't know. What matters here is what is perceived here; I don't care what the French or the Germans think about me driving a Nissan Z/Infiniti G35 in the U.S. However, I'm sure the Japanese appreciate me driving a Nissan or Infiniti over a Subaru or a BMW, that's for sure. Also, as I understand it, many people have rebadged their G35's to "Skyline" and "350GT" just b/c they think it's cool and it's different...and there's nothing wrong with that. And, no I don't need to impress any Valet or anyone else; I try not to valet my new G35 ;-)

I think you should get the Subaru...it sounds more like a better fit for you and your personality.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 06/24/04 08:54 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-24-2004, 12:10 PM

Although I've never bought a Subaru, I consider myself a Subaru fan. I think the Legacy GT looks very sharp. However, I had an opportunity to sit in a 2005 Legacy during a car show earlier this year and it wasn't all that impressive to me. It certainly wasn't bad, but I didn't think it was better than the G35 interior. Performance-wise, I can believe claims that the Legacy can hang or surpass the G35s. Subaru has gone the performance route since introducing the WRX and it should continue with the new Legacy.
If I was choosing between the G35s and the Legacy GT, I'd probably buy an Acura TL! LOL! The TL looks better than both and has more features. (flame suit on!)
But between the G35s & Legacy GT, I'd take the G35s unless you can get VDC and a Navigation system in the Legacy. Then it would just come down to driving feel. That can only be answered by test drives.
Now if you're talking about the G35 coupe, that's a different story. But of course I'm biased.[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color=purple>2004 G35 Coupe Diamond Graphite/Graphite 5AT</font color=purple>
Premium, Nav., 18" Wheels, Z-Xtreme Hyper Grounding Cables,
K&N filter, Clear Corners, 350Z Aluminum Pedals,
Sony Ericsson HCB-30

Old 06-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Premier Member

Sorry but the Scooby you are talking about has no chance against a G35. The G35 is worlds better in all catagorys. The Scooby being AWD also looses more power to the wheels.

2004 Infiniti G35S, 6MT, Premium, Sport, DP
Mods: JDM Clears, 20% tint, Z-tube, K&N Drop In
Track: 14.32 at 98.79 mph 2.2032 60ft

Old 06-24-2004, 12:17 PM
Premier Member

I get 21-23 depending how I drive in the city. Never been less and I have a 6MT. So no the G35 is not a pig. The Scooby should be compared to a Corolla or Sentra. Not a Infintii.

2004 Infiniti G35S, 6MT, Premium, Sport, DP
Mods: JDM Clears, 20% tint, Z-tube, K&N Drop In
Track: 14.32 at 98.79 mph 2.2032 60ft

Old 06-24-2004, 12:39 PM

Then what should a G20 be compared to? In all seriousness, I'm in the same boat as well. I'm looking at both the G35 (6MT) and the Legacy GT (and the Dodge Magnum and the Mini Cooper for that matter). Driven the G35 a few times, yet to drive the Legacy GT. For me, the AWD would be nice, but by no means a requirement. I'm disappointed in the stereo on the Subie, and the lack of a satellite radio option (which I could always add aftermarket). Then again, not too thrilled with the Infiniti stereo either (no highs, no lows, must be Bose :-). Hope Infiniti upgrades on the '05's. Also, the Subie's mileage is only 26 highway, so no benefit there over the G, plus it requires premium. Granted, I'd probably use premium in the G, but at least it's not a requirement.

In the Infiniti's favor are going to be resale value and free loaners. Around me, the Subie dealer is tied to the VW dealer, and my fiancee had terrible experiences with their service department.

I'm interested to drive the Subie (actually more interested in the wagon more than the sedan). It all boils down to do I want to spend the extra $3k for the Infiniti. My mind is far from made up. However, each choice I've listed has a certain appeal and represents a good fun factor.

'98.5 Contour SVT, 131K miles and counting

Old 06-24-2004, 12:47 PM

I'm glad a few other G35ers have chimed in again. Look...here's a couple of quotes from the Edmunds.com review on the Subaru Legacy GT (which btw has a 4-cyl T; the same powerful, but "boy racer" engine borrowed from the WRX sti):

"Materials quality is excellent -- you could buy a Legacy and feel like you got a VW. Everything about the way the new Legacy looks, feels and drives is so much more cohesive and satisfying than before. Don't buy a TSX or Mazda 6 without trying this Subaru first." - Edmunds.com

"The Legacy offers a superb blend of ride comfort and handling acuity. The GT is easily as much fun as an Acura TSX or Mazda 6, and with the confidence of all four wheels putting power to the pavement, this Subaru is a satisfying substitute for the smaller, more expensive Audi A4." - Edmunds.com

My point exactly!!! Edmunds.com as well as some others like what Subaru has done with this car, but it's a powerful, and more refined 4-banger which doesn't have VDC, a Navi system, XM/Sirius Sat radio, a 6-cyl option, and a better warranty; not sure about the reliability and resale values for Subaru either.

There's no doubt this car has obviously turned some heads and impressed many, but it's a Subaru which competes mostly with the VW Passat, Acura TSX, and Mazda 6, and not typically with the Infiniti G35, BMW 3 Series, etc. It also has a lower trim level with a 2.5L non-turbo engine (168HP and starting at $21k)...you don't see that in an Infiniti. However, I could see this Turbo Subaru competing with the Audi A4 1.7T which you can get loaded for about the same price as the Subaru. BTW - the back is ugly, except for the dual tailpipes (I like that) and the car as a whole looks like any other car on the road...styling isn't very distinctive (except for that hood scoop which screams "boy racer.")

Sorry, Aqcats...your comparo to the Infiniti G35, although not completely unwarranted, it is a bit of a stretch.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 06/24/04 09:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-24-2004, 12:58 PM

My wifes sedan has been problem free since delivery.
Having many years in the snow belt I will say all cars should get snow tires for the winter if you regularly drive in snow, sleet, ice. They are by far the cheapest form of insurance one can buy!

But I am now stationed in the sun belt, so no need for snows

Don't worry about about the staunch defenders of any brand. They all have them. I don't have a love of either brands in question. My wife loves her G, but it was a big jump from all the GM company cars she was given. I am not as impressed, but it isn't my car so I don't have to be. I am amused by people who somehow think their car is like the best thing since sliced bread. I know people have to work hard to justify the money they spend but really....

The G is a nice sedan, the Legacy is a nice sedan. There are other nice sedans too. Some faster, some slower. Some more lux, some more proletariat. I say drive a lot of cars. At some point you will realize what you want, along with the realization that sometimes you get more than you pay for, sometimes you get what you pay for, while other times you don't get what you pay for. In the end only you can assign weights and values to the qualities of each.

Enjoy the drive. (somebody's tag line I am sure)

2004 Sedan -- 3M Clear Bra - Bought on eBay and DIY -- Rocky Mounts bike racks!

Old 06-24-2004, 01:56 PM

"I am amused by people who somehow think their car is like the best thing since sliced bread."

It is the best thing - WTH? OK really now - it is the fastest best handling in it's class and looks great to the ones who like it not to mention it's the size of the older 5 series and has much more power - nearly as much as a 540i.

I'm not sure who has visions of granduer worse - me for believing my car is best in class or those who believe a 4 cylinder, torqueless, loud and boy racer horizontally opposed pretty good car is going to leap from it's old class into one that has near 40k lux machines in it like the BMW 330 and the G35 and TL. DREAM ON. No one here has to justify anything - thats why we politely suggest the subbie fans head over to a subbie site...run along

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan (E-thing but Nav)
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 06-24-2004, 02:51 PM

Although I agree with many of WildWildWest's valid points, I say "here here" and give kudos to SixFive. Although people looking at the Infiniti G35 can get real-life impressions (from those of us who actually drive one) on a G35 Enthusiast's Forum such as this, it doesn't make any sense to think that we would sway others to go buy something else, especially if it's not even in the same market segment. I've openly admitted in past posts that I compared the Infiniti G35, BMW 330i, Acura TL, and Mazda 6s before I ended up with the G35. I was a little biased since we own an '03 Infiniti FX35 and love it, but I kept an open mind.

I did a lot of research online, in car mags, and test drives at the dealerships, but not on biased Internet car forums. That's how you should choose a car; it's unwise to start arguments of which car is better on a car forum dedicated to one partiular car - the very car that these people own and love to drive. Is the G35 "the best?" The answer is subjective, but many will argue that it may be the best in it's class with its direct competitors. This new Subary Legacy may end up being the best in its class for 2005 as compared to its direct competitors...time will tell.

For unbiased opinions, one can research online or read reviews and comparos in the auto mags, newspapers, etc., and most importantly, drive and compare for themselves. The fact remains that the Infiniti G35 Sedan/Coupe and Nissan 350Z have received so many accolades with good reason. Although there are some who like the Subarus and will run out and buy a new Legacy GT for $28k, my guess is the base Legacy ($21k 2.5L non-turbo) will be more popular just like the $20k Nissan Altima 2.5L 4-cyl. Whether Nissan wants to admit it or not, not that many people really want to spend $28k-$30k to drive a Nissan Altima 3.5SE (although it's very similar to the G35 and such, except for the fwd), when they can spend a few thousand more on a Nissan 350Z or an Infiniti G35 or a BMW, a Lexus, an Audi, or a Mercedes C. I'm not sure about other areas of the country, but around here, I see at least 10 Altima 2.5L to 1 Altima 3.5SE.

I would expect the same will hold true for Subaru, as if I see so many Subarus on the road today as it is...about 30 Infiniti G35's to 1 Subaru (any model). There are valid reasons for this too.

Like WildWildWest said ...just drive (whatever) and enjoy!

I hope this thread is shut down now as I think we've all beat each other up enough, don't you think?

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 06/24/04 12:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-24-2004, 03:50 PM

LOL must be talking about something else. Too funny! You do realize I have a G35 sedan right??? Like I said it is not bad and has been completely trouble free. Am I in love with it? No. Have not been in love with a car I have owned in years... But that is just me. Would I buy another one, I don't know. Personally it didn't meet expectations.

2004 Sedan -- 3M Clear Bra - Bought on eBay and DIY -- Rocky Mounts bike racks!

Old 07-06-2004, 03:50 AM

Hi! As some of u might notice that i am a new member of this forum, and i am going to buy a new sedan soon; G35 is also on my list. I have been doing lots of searchings and went to the dealers to check out the G35 and B4.

to be honest, B4's interior-built-quality is really better than G35. i have read every post in this thread and i really think bsgoren has to check out the new B4. it is really hard to believe the 2005 B4 is car that is built by Subaru, in terms of quality. I have no doubt it is better than a IS300 in terms of interior material and over all performance. So, why still saying that Lexus and Subaru are in different classes; or even infiniti? Ofcox, the 2005 B4 lacks of HID and NAV might be the only major draw backs when comparing to IS300; however, those 2 are the ONLY draw backs so far. yet, i am seeing more and more BMW 3 and IS300 oweners are switching to B4 on some forums. It took years for infiniti and Lexus to arrive this upper market segment, which can also apply on subaru. FYI, from i have found out, most of the B4 owners are having 20~24+ MPG so far, but it's still too early to judge. it is also said that the Nav will be available next year. in addition, reviews of 05 B4 should start popping up in the coming few months. just for some extra info, most people are getting the GT LTD right under 30K (which is "fully" loaded), mean while the GT(base model) at around 24~25K, just a little above invoice. though i doubt subaru can sell its cars at MSPR at this stage.

so, for me, i will wait for 2005 G35 to made by final decision. IS300 is removed from my list right after i have checked out the B4. as a result, 05 G35 and B4 are the only ones in my list now.

anyway, i suggest all of you to check out the 05 B4 or outback when u have time. it is really amazing to see subaru's improvement!

Old 07-06-2004, 02:36 PM
I came from a Cobb tuning modified '02 WRX..

I have checked the interior of the new Leg and don't see it as superior to the G. My Rex did 0-60 in 4.6, but I believe traps are a little lower than in a Z. Prior to the Rex, I had a modded 350Z. Needless, to say; I am back. Subaru makes great rally cars, but the lag of a turbo 4 can be annoying. With a grand dropped on each platform, the G and the Rex end up with about the same power to weight ratio(assuming the right mods on a Sedan gets you up to stock Z power levels). It comes down to preference. The linear application of torque from a naturally aspirating quick rev motor may be the deciding factor for you as well. Haven't driven the 6 cyl. Leg yet, but the Impreza appears to offer more in a balanced platform vs. the new Leg, IMHO. No snow here, so I can't say AWD was a positive. IMHO, Subaru is to Audi as Infiniti is to BMW in a German vs. Japanese manufacturer comparo. Just $.02.

'04 6MT Sport Sedan

UR crank pulley
Helix test pipes
G35C midpipe
Z intake tube
Nismo Sport "dry" air filter
Nismo grounding kit
RS*R Z33 springs
Hawk HPS brake pads
Motul 600 RBF

Old 07-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Re: I came from a Cobb tuning modified '02 WRX..

I'm sorry but i just saw the Legacy commercial several times. No way in HELL does the Legacy even compete in the same class as a G35. It looks like a souped up Corolla. Small, 4-door, boring styling econbox. Did you notice how HUGE Lance Armstrong looked coming out of the Legacy? He could barely fit out of the door.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it puts up amazing performance numbers, and interior looks okay(nothing special from my stand point). But its exterior styling and size is far far behind a G35.

Let me put it this way, NO ONE will mistake the Legacy with a $40,000 luxury car. That type of mistake happens everyday with G35's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Sedan vs. Leg GT Ltd.