G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 Sedan vs. Leg GT Ltd.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 02:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G35 Sedan vs. Leg GT Ltd.

If AWD and performance is a must, go drive an EVO 8. Shiv from Vishnu makes STi eaters of these vehicles with minimal $. True enthusiasts would recognize this vehicle as king of the modded Japanese sedans. However, one may buy a G35, Audi S4, or BMW for other reasons. Let's give the Legacy some time to prove itself as the STI has had enough time to be ruled second to the Evo 8. If Subaru imports the Leg STi, I will buy one; if it is better than the upcoming GTR regardless of the badge on the vehicle.

'04 6MT Sport Sedan

UR crank pulley
Helix test pipes
G35C midpipe
Z intake tube
Nismo Sport "dry" air filter
Nismo grounding kit
RS*R Z33 springs
Hawk HPS brake pads
Motul 600 RBF

Old 07-11-2004, 08:03 AM

I can see why you'd say "if all one cares about is performance", since in other posts in this forum a guy gets beaten by an IS300 and another is "neck and neck" with Chrysler 300! hahaha...

Now THIS G35 owner on another thread showed some class...

"well i was crusing home tonight tired from seeing anchorman (which was a good movie ) and i see this WRX. well he sounds of his blow off valves and guns it at around 30. I gun it and he never looked back . then we stop at another light. expecting him to gun it but he didnt. all the sudden i see him pass me. i was never able to catch up to him, being behind him about 1 1/2 car lengths the whole time.

He did compliment my car though at the end "

See there how they each appreciated the other's car? May be there's a lesson there...

Old 07-11-2004, 08:50 AM
Re: I came from a Cobb tuning modified '02 WRX..

Funny how all the Subies just had to come on this Forum and post replies...

Anyhow, I have always said that the new Subaru Legacy GT seems to be a much improved car and a great value; very fast, nice interior, etc. but so far, lacks a few of the other features you'd expect to see in such a sports sedan (at least in the class of the G35 and it's competitors). For my co. car, I had to have a Navi system for work, and ever since having HID headlights for several years, it's difficult to go back to halogen headlamps. Plus, I was so impressed with our FX35 and after driving a loaner G35 when our FX was in for an oil chnage, I knew this would be my next co. car. My last co. car was a 2000 Ford Taurus btw so the G35 is a nice upgrade.

That said, I have also said that both cars are nice (the G35 and this Subaru Legacy GT) but I thought someone else on the Subaru Forum thread may have said it best...the G35 may be the best in class for sports sedans from $30k-$40k and the Subaru Legacy GT may be the best in class for sports sedans from $20k-$30k. In additon, like I also mentioned a few times, I think that the Subarus are more popular and sell more in other areas of the US where AWD is a plus; I grew up in the NE and do remember seeing more Subies (as I said, one of my high shool friend's mother had an XT Turbo Coupe and we loved driving it around), but living in S. Florida for the past 16 years, I very rarely ever see one. So, it may be a 'regional thing.' For the 3 local Subaru dealers you have, we have 3 Infiniti dealers within a 20 mile radius. I have no idea where our local Subaru dealer might be...never noticed.

Both cars are decent, and I am sorry I have offended some people. However, I truly feel that the people I have offended were never a part of the G35 Forum to begin with (except for one or two perhaps that I responded to who initially offended me). I did say that this thread should have been closed fearing it would turn ugly...and it obviously did.

All in all, it's obvious we all enjoy the cars we drive and we should continue to take pride in owning and driving such fine sports sedans.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 07/11/04 05:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-11-2004, 10:57 AM

fair enough--pax!

Old 07-12-2004, 02:57 PM

like i said before it all depends on what your priorities are. I'm sure the Legacy is a decent car. Please don't take it as a put down, but if pure performance is your priority then the Legacy is a better choice then the G35. But if thats the case why not just get a Sti or Evo?

In most of the other categories the G35 beats the Legacy.

Looks - G35, I'm sorry but the Legacy looks like an average compact sedan. I'm not saying its small but it has that plain look. Also the hood scope is pretty lame. The G35 is a very fresh design, especially the front. Gotta love HID lights and rear LED's. Interior is a toss up. But the G35 leather is still nicer.

Service - Infiniti. Hands down winner. Subaru is only Average to below average. Infiniti has been winning awards for its customer service for years.

Reliability - Infiniti by a mile. They've been winning awards for years. Only Lexus has beaten Infiniti in this category. Subaru is very iffy, even though they are getting better.

Presige - This may sound silly or even snobbish. But this has to be a factor, especially if you are a professional that drives your clients. Bottom line Infiniti blows Subaru in this category. Call it snobbish, but its a fact.

Luxury - G35 again.

For me personally i wanted a sports sedan with some luxury, reliability, presige, and performance. The G35 was the perfect fit for me. Of course a 5 series would be nice, but the price is beyond what i would pay for a car.

Old 07-12-2004, 03:31 PM

This is exactly what I've been saying since this crazy out-of-hand thread got started and I got reamed for it (although mostly from Subies that had to come on over here to defend their cars). However, I must say I do have a better understanding and a little more respect for those guys and their cars.

The new Subaru Legacy GT and WRX definitely seem like winners in the near-near lux catagory ($20k-$30k sport sedan class) and yes, we all know they're very fast. They seem like a better bang for your buck than say a Nissan Altima 3.5, a Nissan Maxima (possibly only b/c it still has a more lux feel, more avail options, and can get into the lower-mid $30k range), a Mazda 6S, a VW Passat, a Honda Acccord, an Audi A4 1.7T, and a few others in this category. If I didn't need the Navi system, and my priorities were a bit different -- e.g. if I didn't care too much about HID lights, XM Sat Radio, VDC, high quality customer service, good reliability history, warranty, and prestige, then I would have considered the new Subaru Legacy GT (however I do agree with the still bland Subaru sedan styling and the hood scoop just kills it for me...too boy-racer 'rally' looking and not professional enough looking for my taste).

For a few thousand more though, the Infiniti G35 is a real winner in the near-lux $30k-$40k sports sedan class...a better bang for your buck than a BMW 325i/330i, the Lexus IS300, Acura TL, and the Audi A4 3.0. I'm really enjoying my G35...I feel like I'm in my old Nissan Z only a lot better, much much faster, and much more fun to drive!

As I said in my last post...we should all be happy and proud to own/drive any of these fine sports sedans. Let's just have fun and make the best of it!

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 07/12/04 01:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-12-2004, 06:37 PM

I think this thread needs to be closed. Originator has found all the info he/she needed and this thread became one of those bashing threads that makes all owners of particular car look bad in the eyes of the rest of the community.

Both G and Legacy GT are fine cars. They have different needs and tastes they cater to and it should be a matter of personal preference.

True enthusiasts shouldn't be bashing other cars.
Yes my G is faster and fancier than many other cars on the road, that doesn't make me a super being. Yes my car is not the fastest nor fansiest on the road but that doesn't make me an insect either.

Prefferences are a bad subject for an argument, it can become endless.

***04 G35s 5AT/Sport***
***04 Volvo XC90 T6***

Old 07-12-2004, 06:43 PM

On that note, all cars sucks @ss. I want Mig-31 jetfighter but they wouldn't sell me one

***04 G35s 5AT/Sport***
***04 Volvo XC90 T6***

Old 07-12-2004, 07:36 PM

I agree. I had suggested that this thread be closed or locked when it first became ugly. Please someone spare us all and close it down.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter

Old 07-12-2004, 08:56 PM

in before the lock.

Old 07-13-2004, 12:22 AM

Funny how this is the second most active thread on the first page... most active is the one about the uncomfortable seat in the G35.

Smile, most cars are light years ahead of where we have been in the not too distant past! Live it up!

2004 Sedan -- 3M Clear Bra - Bought on eBay and DIY -- Rocky Mounts bike racks!

Old 07-13-2004, 09:25 AM

"The site I call home is an enthusiast site"
I'd hazard that most of the members if asked would say they loved the G35, and I know we have at least one member who has one. I think the response to this thread was mostly disappointment with the way a certain G35 driver or two came across."

This is an site for G35 enthusiast some of which are car enthusiasts. You expect alot if you think you're searching other forums based on other cars in a wierd exhibition of seeking repsect from drivers of exremely popular or well received cars. Obviously there will be some open minded talk here such as "The legacy is very nice and will sell well but it is not in class with our car". Hey if we want this kind of car we will certainly have some good choices. Dont confuse respect with disillusioned hopes of being in some new class of cars. Drivers in this class may find the car a great bargain if they are looking for a bargain. Some of us wanted a bigger more solid chassis and didn't want to wind up to scream at your passenger decibal levels when we jump on it and wait for that 4clylinder boxer to show us the money.....

Some one said the boxer motor was like a big block v-8...hmm I think enthusiasm is being confused with dillusional paranoia and most here aren't players of that game. THe subbies are great cars but desparate attempts to garner respect will mean much more bashing I'm afraid...and very entertaining I might add. Dont close this one!

"I WILL say this as a reality check--the person who said that until recently Infiniti was all but defunct was absolutely correct. Mr BS, you are living in a fantasy world if you believe that the Infiniti name in general is seen by the average person as being on the same level even as Lexus or Acura"

Noone cares - I bought this car cuz it rocks not to race rice. You want your prestige then keep buying subbies and you can personally lend to the image...dont forget your stickers and your 40 foot spoiler.

14.2. The mags say 14.7-14.8 and that would be fine too. As soon as the subbie breaks in and gets out of the 15's it seems to be stuck in then come over to atco and we can teach you all about enthusiasm.

Dont get too full of yourself...you might choke

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan (E-thing but Nav)
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 07-13-2004, 01:24 PM

A little more of a reality check is well documented. Mod the new 2.5L turbo from Subaru and you get boost creep. This is why many prefer the Version 7 JDM 2.0 L Spec C STi as the still crowning achievement of Subaru. That being said, if Fuji industries sends the JDM twin turbo 3.0 Leg STi stateside instead of the "semi closed" deck foreign market 2.5 Subie motors here; that may be a car worthy of all the brag potential being dumped here from delusionals.

'04 6MT Sport Sedan

UR crank pulley
Helix test pipes
G35C midpipe
Z intake tube
Nismo Sport "dry" air filter
Nismo grounding kit
RS*R Z33 springs
Hawk HPS brake pads
Motul 600 RBF

Old 07-13-2004, 02:08 PM

Yeah about the time the 500 hp GTR comes out. These turbo charged 6's will be making 4cylinders obsolete. I still laugh at the comment that the v-6 is inferior to a buzzy 4 cylinder that needs FI to even try to come close.

When the 6 is turbocharged by nissan there will be some new sedan designs required at subbarreha and they will include revising the longitudally, old school, for FWD format mounting of the motor.

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan (E-thing but Nav)
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 07-13-2004, 04:19 PM

lol oh man, you are living in a dream world, aren't you! First of all, "the mags" haven't tested the GT yet, so I don't know where you are getting that. But you can look over at the "Me vs WRX" thread in your own forum to read about how a base model wrx will smoke the G. Having come from a wrx, I can tell you that the GT feels as fast or faster to me. Plus there is the fact that subaru only estimated the 0-60 on the wrx as 6.2 before it came out, but C&D immediately got a 5.4. Assuming that they estimated conservatively on the GT as well (they have been estimating a 5.8 so far I believe pre-release), it should be faster still. I also notice perusing the other threads any number on such things as misaligned trunks, varieties of strange noises, and actual suggestions of class action lawsuits over uncomfortable seats causing severe pain. I'm also thinking if I look in Consumer Reports I will find that Subaru ranks just as well as Nissan as far as reliability--perhaps you are looking at JD Powers "customer satisfaction" ratings or something when you dream that Nissan is the premier automaker--you do realize that "customer satisfaction after three months of ownership" is pretty much a useless rating, right?

as Mark Twain said, "Denial ain't just a river in Egypt"...

and you spelled "delusional" wrong...best stay away from those "big words", eh?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Sedan vs. Leg GT Ltd.