G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Dealer won't fix the oil leak/drip what do i do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer won't fix the oil leak/drip what do i do?

I own a 2006 sedan x model with 17,6K miles on it. I've had all my regular oil changes (currently using mobil clean 5000 with a purolator pure one filter).

I have an oil drip/leak problem that the dealer will not address....Can someone advise me as to how to handle this?

I have complained about a burning smell in my car for the past one year (ten thousand miles). I've had three oil changes (my fourth last week) in the meantime. Each time I take the car to the dealer to complain that something is wrong. They claim that they looked at the car and cannot duplicate the issue. Also, they never even bothered to tell me that my air filter needed to be changed.

I've got a picture of the oil leak/drip. How should I handle this now? My feeling is that the dealer doesn't want to fix the problem.

I also complained to the dealer that something is wrong with my radio, because it doesn't display the radio info like a RDS radio should. They told me that my car doesn't have an RDS radio. Infiniti customer relations just sent a written confirmation stating that my car is equipped with this function.

What do I do, here? this is crazy. I've used Infiniti of Englewood in new jersey and Infiniti of Manhattan. Both are shady.

It doesn't help that I am a woman (and a minority). I've seen how they treat us differently, unfortunately.

Any help or advice would be tremendously appreciated.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by sportsfan
I own a 2006 sedan x model with 17,6K miles on it. I've had all my regular oil changes (currently using mobil clean 5000 with a purolator pure one filter).

I have an oil drip/leak problem that the dealer will not address....Can someone advise me as to how to handle this?

I have complained about a burning smell in my car for the past one year (ten thousand miles). I've had three oil changes (my fourth last week) in the meantime. Each time I take the car to the dealer to complain that something is wrong. They claim that they looked at the car and cannot duplicate the issue. Also, they never even bothered to tell me that my air filter needed to be changed.

I've got a picture of the oil leak/drip. How should I handle this now? My feeling is that the dealer doesn't want to fix the problem.

I also complained to the dealer that something is wrong with my radio, because it doesn't display the radio info like a RDS radio should. They told me that my car doesn't have an RDS radio. Infiniti customer relations just sent a written confirmation stating that my car is equipped with this function.

What do I do, here? this is crazy. I've used Infiniti of Englewood in new jersey and Infiniti of Manhattan. Both are shady.

It doesn't help that I am a woman (and a minority). I've seen how they treat us differently, unfortunately.

Any help or advice would be tremendously appreciated.
I'm very sorry to hear your situation and it is very unfortunate. Please post photographs here on the forums and we can try to take it from there.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Who did you speak with at the dealerships? Was it the service manager? if not, ask to speak with him/her about the issue and if it was the manager, call corporate, file a complaint and go back in.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:42 PM
reply to oil leak/drip problem

Hi,

I've spoken to the general manager. He doesn't give a crap. Polite, patronizing talk, no solutions. Told me to get a second opinion. Why would I need a second opinion when i have a picture?

I've also complained to the manufacturer. They noted the complaint and forwarded it to the dealer. However, I suspect that the manufacturer and the dealer both prefer not to fix issues, unless demanded to do so by law.

It's very unfortunate. I'm looking to sell and purchase a lexus or Acura. I may even go all the way out and buy a BMW. Service and cheap-shoddy repairs and maintenance is unacceptable when you spend $30k on a car.

I've attached the pix.

Attached Thumbnails Dealer won't fix the oil leak/drip what do i do?-img_1565.jpg   Dealer won't fix the oil leak/drip what do i do?-img_1566.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Hi,

I've spoken to the general manager. He doesn't give a crap. Polite, patronizing talk, no solutions. Told me to get a second opinion. Why would I need a second opinion when i have a picture?

I've also complained to the manufacturer. They noted the complaint and forwarded it to the dealer. However, I suspect that the manufacturer and the dealer both prefer not to fix issues, unless demanded to do so by law.

It's very unfortunate. I'm looking to sell and purchase a lexus or Acura. I may even go all the way out and buy a BMW. Service and cheap-shoddy repairs and maintenance is unacceptable when you spend $30k on a car.

I've attached the pix.
I'm having a little trouble figuring out where that photo is exactly, but I'm guessing that's right above the oil pan. What I would recommend is to check if any oil has been spilled from the top and if it is clean, then go ahead and post the contact information of your dealer/service writer and we can get to the bottom of this. Power in numbers

Old 03-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I think selling the car because it has a weeping gasket is a bit extreme. It is a 3 y/o+ car after all. Things will start leak and break, even on Infinitis, BMWs, and most definitely Acuras and Lexus'. I don't quite understand why the dealer won't fix the leak, but why not closely inspect your car and see exactly where the leak is coming from first. Then tell them and act you know your way around cars. Then whip out the Infiniti powertrain warranty which specifically states repair of all motor components, including gaskets and seals. If they won't deal with it, then it's time to go to a different dealer or start a case with Nissan. Hell, you might even want to try going to a Nissan dealer. It's the same exact motor as the Z.

As for the RDS function, yes, you have it, BUT every radio station DOES NOT have the capability to broadcast in it. In Kansas City, there are only 3 FM stations out about 30 that have the capability to broadcast in RDS.

As for the women and minority thing, if you think that way, then people will take advantage of you. It's all in how you present yourself. If you're a pushover, they'll walk all over you. If you act like you know what you want and know what you're talking while not being a jerk ***, you'll get people to do what you want.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:51 PM
You are correct, the photo is just above the oil pan. And no, oil hasn't spilled from the top. My mechanic showed me everything, before he changed my oil. He made certain not to clean it up, once I explained that the dealer continued to state that it couldn't duplicate the problem.

The dealer is:

Infiniti of Englewood
227 North Dean Street
Englewood, NJ 07631
201-568-1840

What's interesting about this dealership is that they replaced (or made me believe so) my gas tank sensor without a problem.

I just don't trust them. My instincts tell me that something isn't right.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:00 PM
oil leak/drip - yes, you are correct, dave

Originally Posted by DaveB
I think selling the car because it has a weeping gasket is a bit extreme. It is a 3 y/o+ car after all. Things will start leak and break, even on Infinitis, BMWs, and most definitely Acuras and Lexus'. I don't quite understand why the dealer won't fix the leak, but why not closely inspect your car and see exactly where the leak is coming from first. Then tell them and act you know your way around cars. Then whip out the Infiniti powertrain warranty which specifically states repair of all motor components, including gaskets and seals. If they won't deal with it, then it's time to go to a different dealer or start a case with Nissan. Hell, you might even want to try going to a Nissan dealer. It's the same exact motor as the Z.

As for the RDS function, yes, you have it, BUT every radio station DOES NOT have the capability to broadcast in it. In Kansas City, there are only 3 FM stations out about 30 that have the capability to broadcast in RDS.

As for the women and minority thing, if you think that way, then people will take advantage of you. It's all in how you present yourself. If you're a pushover, they'll walk all over you. If you act like you know what you want and know what you're talking while not being a jerk ***, you'll get people to do what you want.
You are correct,

Thank you for your response. Very well stated. I agree with all you've stated. I'm putting together my paperwork to begin a consumer action against the dealers (Infiniti of Manhattan and Infiniti of Englewood). It's time that these stealerships be held responsible for their abhorrent behavior.

I ALWAYS walk into a dealership as though I know my way around cars. I have a very good friend who is an engineer and a car enthusiast. He works on his own car and understands electronics and engines, etc. He and the mechanic I use to change my oil (specializes in european cars. A bit biased toward them, too - smile) explain the items in great detail. The mechanic even shows me. My mechanic told me that my rear breaks were worn down to about 27% after 14k miles. I got the dealership to replace them free of charge, using the info he provided to me.

Yes, if one acts like a victim, one will be treated as a victim. I am not a victim, but I am ticked off.

Thanks again. I appreciate your input.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:08 PM
dave - i forgot to mention

-
Originally Posted by DaveB

---------------------------
I am aware that not every station broadcasts the info, but the stations i look for do so. I experienced it on another g35x model that was supposed to be equipped the same as the model i purchased. In other words, I've seen the info displayed on other RDS radios. So I believe it should display on my radio, or the radio should be swapped out for a new one.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:26 PM
I had a small oil leak that was caused by the oil dipstick gasket missing. The dipsticks on these cars can be very difficult to take out and put back in - ruining the gasket. Fixed my car oil leak with a new dipstick.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Try going to a different dealer. Some just try to avoid warranty work, especially if you have mods.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:15 AM
What shocks me is in this economy, you'd think they'd be trying to make all of their customers happy. It might be warranty work but who cares! If they treat you right this time, there's a good possibility that you'll back in the future. You've obviously done everything that is required from a maintenance stand point. This is unbelievable! Good luck! Keep us posted.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
-

---------------------------
I am aware that not every station broadcasts the info, but the stations i look for do so. I experienced it on another g35x model that was supposed to be equipped the same as the model i purchased. In other words, I've seen the info displayed on other RDS radios. So I believe it should display on my radio, or the radio should be swapped out for a new one.

WHat does it display? Nothing at all?

Old 03-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, I also wondered about the RDS display. It wasn't showing me anything, although stations were triggering the RDS light to display on the radio (I bought it in December 08). I was reading a thread on here about someone else not getting radio station displays that he knew transmitted in the DC area. Also, I am in LA, so EVERYONE is broadcasting it.

Well, they mentioned hitting the "DISPLAY" button in that thread. When I tried it, it did nothing for me. After trying and trying again, I held it down for somewhere between 5 and 10 seconds. My car has been displaying the RDS info ever since.

Please give that a try. Hold down that Display button way longer than you think you need to.

Good Luck,
Dave

Old 03-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by DKatman
You know, I also wondered about the RDS display. It wasn't showing me anything, although stations were triggering the RDS light to display on the radio (I bought it in December 08). I was reading a thread on here about someone else not getting radio station displays that he knew transmitted in the DC area. Also, I am in LA, so EVERYONE is broadcasting it.

Well, they mentioned hitting the "DISPLAY" button in that thread. When I tried it, it did nothing for me. After trying and trying again, I held it down for somewhere between 5 and 10 seconds. My car has been displaying the RDS info ever since.

Please give that a try. Hold down that Display button way longer than you think you need to.

Good Luck,
Dave
good info ..

and yeah try a different dealership ..
or just have your personal mechanic take care of it ..

you cant force dealerships to do anything they dont want to do ..
no matter what the situation is ..
believe me ive tried ...

you can have a mechanic take a look at it ..and take care of the issue
and have that shop write you a detailed receipt/invoice.
take it to small claims court. dealership has to show up .
and get the amount refunded ..
(lots of work for no good reason)

or my favorite of all ..
call your local news channel ..
state that you know theres a leak .
dealership decides there is no leak even whene other mechanics have said there was a leak ..

they do a story on it ..

the dealership begs you to fix it for you ...

good luck ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer won't fix the oil leak/drip what do i do?